Berklee in the News (and it ain't pretty)

you, crazy. Comparing the appeasement of Stalin, or some such thing, to Harvey Weinstein exposing himself to actresses.

Look, don't deny it. I have learned from years of experiences that it's always best to not only admit to your own insanity but to embrace it.

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

you, crazy. Comparing the appeasement of Stalin, or some such thing, to Harvey Weinstein exposing himself to actresses.

Look, don't deny it. I have learned from years of experiences that it's always best to not only admit to your own insanity but to embrace it.

I didn’t write a word about Weinstein in this duscussion. And I’m not crazy...just misunderstood.   I will summarize again - press and media in general  can and does change history, put the course of human events on a sometimes disastrous tack. What worse being to illustrate that other than Stalin being lionized by the most respected newspaper in America? Point two - I provided some key individual cases from the not so recent past, where the media had caused serious, potentially career-ending, and life-altering harm to innocent people. 

The Globe reporter interviewed Osby for an hour, and proceeded with printing a couple  self-implicating sentences, with no context. Does that still look legitimate to anyone here? Am I crazy to point that out?

Edited by Dmitry

What do you mean, no context? Berklee fired some people for inappropriate behavior, Osby was one of them, he gave quotes about it, and they printed it in the context of something happening and somebody involved in it talking about it. If that's not context, what the hell is?

The only thing I see being "misunderstood" is what the word "context" means.

Additional context: having grown up in and worked in academia, it is very rare for faculty to be outright dismissed by an institution of higher learning. IMO, other than politicians, no professional class circles the wagons more effectively than university faculty. Universities also dread negative publicity in the extreme. If Berklee truly did fire Osby et al., then, yeah, chances are very good a thorough investigation was conducted and actual wrong-doing uncovered -- or at least wrong-doing uncovered to the extent that the school felt it needed to act to avoid being dragged into court.

10 hours ago, Joe said:

Additional context: having grown up in and worked in academia, it is very rare for faculty to be outright dismissed by an institution of higher learning.

That may have been true before the METOO movement. 

It's unclear to me from reading the article whether Osby left or was terminated.  The article says  Osby, in an hourlong interview with the Globe, disputed the woman’s claims. He also said that he received a severance package from Berklee that included a gag order.

That's part of the missing context. Severance package mean he was shown the door, or what? I haven't worked in a company environment for 25 years, so I wouldn't know.

Just checked up on his Twitter feed, and looks like he deleted everything pertaining to this matter.

https://twitter.com/gregosby?lang=en