Mosaic Records is releasing a Savory collection set

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

And what songs are the 2 great Pres solos from? 

JAM SESSION (I've put this together from Jazz archaeology & the YouTube Savory material)

NYC. Nov. 16, 1938

Roy Eldridge (tp), Benny Goodman (cl), Lester Young (ts), Teddy Wilson (p), Ben Heller (g), Sid Weiss (b), Jo Jones (dm).

Broadcast, Martin Block Make Believe Ballroom, Bill Savory collection, three titles:

I Know That You Know* Solo 64 bars. Very weakly in ensemble 32 bars. (F)

Tea For Two* (NC) Solo 12+64 bars (NC). (FM)

After You’ve Gone Solo 3 choruses of 40 bars. (FM)

*Included in “The Savory Collection Part 3: The Jam Sessions” (YouTube download)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmj4_PARM8

A fine solo on “… You Know”, particularly when one considers the very high tempo. However, this item is only a faint introduction to what follows!! The first chorus of “Tea …” is unfortunately destroyed, but the rest is just something I never imagined I would hear. And after digesting this, the “After You’ve Gone” brings you into nirvana, so elegant, natural flowing improvisation which could have gone forever!! When he has to close, his good-bye tag is just teasing us. This item puts some attention on the reports telling Pres had to have six-seven choruses to properly warm up, and then he started improvising. Here we get four … oh what have we been missing, born to late, and in the wrong place!!!

From Lester Young (part 1) p 18, JazzArcheology.com

http://www.jazzarcheology.com/lester-young-part-1/

14 hours ago, romualdo said:

JAM SESSION (I've put this together from Jazz archaeology & the YouTube Savory material)

NYC. Nov. 16, 1938

Roy Eldridge (tp), Benny Goodman (cl), Lester Young (ts), Teddy Wilson (p), Ben Heller (g), Sid Weiss (b), Jo Jones (dm).

Broadcast, Martin Block Make Believe Ballroom, Bill Savory collection, three titles:

I Know That You Know* Solo 64 bars. Very weakly in ensemble 32 bars. (F)

Tea For Two* (NC) Solo 12+64 bars (NC). (FM)

After You’ve Gone Solo 3 choruses of 40 bars. (FM)

*Included in “The Savory Collection Part 3: The Jam Sessions” (YouTube download)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmj4_PARM8

A fine solo on “… You Know”, particularly when one considers the very high tempo. However, this item is only a faint introduction to what follows!! The first chorus of “Tea …” is unfortunately destroyed, but the rest is just something I never imagined I would hear. And after digesting this, the “After You’ve Gone” brings you into nirvana, so elegant, natural flowing improvisation which could have gone forever!! When he has to close, his good-bye tag is just teasing us. This item puts some attention on the reports telling Pres had to have six-seven choruses to properly warm up, and then he started improvising. Here we get four … oh what have we been missing, born to late, and in the wrong place!!!

From Lester Young (part 1) p 18, JazzArcheology.com

http://www.jazzarcheology.com/lester-young-part-1/

So I guess you heard "After You've Gone" at the Museum? 

I've now downloaded three of the Savory YouTube sessions & extracted tracks (just the music in most cases) that hadn't been previously released (downloads & Mosaic Box)

There appear to be 23 tracks in that category & I've managed to fit all of them on a CDr (79mins in total) as AIFF files created by Audacity

The Savory Collection Part 2: The Big Bands

The Savory Collection Part 3: The Jam Sessions   

The Savory Collection Part 4: The Small Bands     

There's some amazing material here - the two Lester Young/Goodman/Teddy Wilson/Roy Eldridge tracks, plus 6 more Goodman (trio, quartet, quintet & sextet with Christian, Orchestra), three with Chu Berry (Cab Calloway Orchestra plus his quintet The Cab Jivers - absolute killer version of Liza with Chu on fire), Three Louis Jordan Orchestra, one Bob Crosby Orchestra, one by Artie Shaw Orchestra, one absolutely amazing Duke Ellington Orchestra rendition of China Boy (first recording of this by the DE Orch) with an extended soprano solo by Johnny Hodges & orchestra members egging him on.....and there's more. I'll be thrashing this disc into the near future.

Is there a catalogue of what's in the Savory Collection? I couldn't find anything on the Museum's website.  The couple of times I've been there I was  able to listen to anything  listed on the computer, but has that list  been made available on-line?   I think everything in the collection was listed and   it's mouth watering.  (I guess  especially if you're a Benny Goodman fan. )

Edited by medjuck

6 hours ago, medjuck said:

Is there a catalogue of what's in the Savory Collection? I couldn't find anything on the Museum's website.  The couple of times I've been there I was to chose to listen to anything  listed on the computer, but has that list  been made available on-line?   I think everything in the collection was listed and   it's mouth watering.  (I guess  especially if you're a Benny Goodman fan. )

That is a great idea to make a catalogue available, and I imagine that people like Loren Schoenberg must already have something that documents the entire collection.  At the Museum, the most difficult question is WHAT to listen to.   It is hard to make a choice if you do not even know what is available.   

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

From the Mosaic Jazz Gazette... the last pressing of this wonderful set is upon us.  If you haven't already purchased this and you like Count Basie, this is a really good set to own.  Without question, it's one of my most cherished sets.  Ya snooze, believe me, ya lose.  Blessings.

47 minutes ago, scooter_phx said:

From the Mosaic Jazz Gazette... the last pressing of this wonderful set is upon us.  If you haven't already purchased this and you like Count Basie, this is a really good set to own.  Without question, it's one of my most cherished sets.  Ya snooze, believe me, ya lose.  Blessings.

I second that emotion.  It's Basie with Prez.  And the rest of the set is awfully good too.