Yo La Tengo 'Today Is The Day!' EP Cover

Of course it has similarities to the Ornette cover. Given it was intentional, what's wrong about it? It's a reference or homage to a classic recording and cover design, not stealing. Most anything in design today is at least in part derivative - 'cause it's all been there before! That aside, only us few jazz buffs will get the point, and it was done for our amusement, not provocation!

Edited by mikeweil

Of course it has similarities to the Ornette cover. Given it was intentional, what's wrong about it? It's a reference or homage to a classic recording and cover design, not stealing. Most anything in design today is at least in part derivative - 'cause it's all been there before! That aside, only us few jazz buffs will get the point, and it was done for our amusement, not provocation!

Mike,

Agreed. I started this thread 'cause I thought it was a cool cover and that others might be interested in knowing it was out there. No "how dare they!" sentiments from me.

They're also a really great band, by the way. :rolleyes:

ABSOLUTELY an hommage, I have no doubt.

Did you know that Georgia Hubley (YLT drummer-vocals) is the daughter of Faith and John Hubley, animated filmmakers whose works include:

• The Cosmic Eye (A film by Faith Hubley, music by Benny Carter & others, 71 min.)
  • Voyage to Next (Music by Dizzy Gillespie, 10 min.)
  • Of Men and Demons (Music by Quincy Jones, 10 min.)
  • The Hole (Music by Quincy Jones, voices of Dizzy Gillespie and George Mathews, 15 min.)
  • The Tender Game (Music by Ella Fitzgerald and The Oscar Peterson Trio, 6 min.)
  • Eggs (Music by Quincy Jones, 10 min.)
  • Urbanissimo (Music by Benny Carter, 6 min.)
  • Harlem Wednesday (Music by Benny Carter, 10 min.)
  • The Adventures of * (Music by Benny Carter, Soloist: Lionel Hampton, 10 min.)
  • Of Stars and Men (Music of Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Mozart, Vivaldi, 53 min.)
  • The Hat (Music and voices of Dizzy Gillespie and Dudley Moore, 18 min.)
  • Dig (Music by Quincy Jones, 25 min.)

Some of the above scores are on this CD (not that I've heard it):

Benny Carter / Dizzy Gillespie / Quincy Jones: "Journey To Next" [Lightyear Entertainment]. Music from a number of films made by John and Faith Hubley including Carter's score for "Urbanissimo" which was shown at the Montreal World's Fair, Expo 67.

Well, homages aside, I still think that there are enough graphic design ideas that haven't been used yet. Maybe if I actually liked YLT I'd feel different, but in any case I think it shows a lack of design creativity. IMHO, of course.

OK, I quit liking YLT when I got dumped by someone who liked 'em, so there is a history there...

Edited by clifford_thornton