Blue Note: Solid State Series

5 hours ago, sonnymax said:

The Solid State Series were titles released by United Artists in the late 60's-1970.

Pretty sure it's more complicated than just that...once UA absorbed BN/SS/Liberty/Everybody elseA, there were all sorts of downstream catalogue permutations...the Allen Douglas sides that were originally done for UA itself were reissued on Solid State (and with no "Series" appellation appended). The dually named albums on that site of this nature all appear to be from non-US issuance. Here, they were straight-up Solid State.

Totally separately, Thad-Mel, who were always signed to Solid State itself, found themselves on Blue Note for an album, but for whatever reason the "Solid State Series" got appended to it, maybe something contractual.

Meanwhile in UA land, if you can see it:

R-2897780-1343145924-1465.png.jpg

Here's a band that had been recording with good success for Pacific Jazz as part of Liberty, now they're on Liberty as part of the "Pacific Jazz Series". So, you know things were getting all moved around and shit. I think it's safe to regard it as a mess.

By 1970, United Artists was done with Sonny Lester* and Solid State.  Besides the Jones-Lewis band, the other SS label artists UA exercised a 'carry-forward' to Blue Note option were Chick Corea, Jeremy Steig, and Jimmy McGriff.  Of the four, Jones-Lewis' 'Consummation' was the first to appear on Blue Note, which may be why they tacked on 'Solid State Series' in small print.  

*lots of musicians are glad to be finished with Sonny Lester  

22 hours ago, sonnymax said:

The Solid State Series were titles released by United Artists in the late 60's-1970.

oh god ok so the thad/mel got put on BN and the rest were UA, wow

i feel candido 1000finger man should of been on blue note

you guys know what im talkin about!!!  yea dawg!  solid state series!

Speaking of McGriff I see that The Worm was the one release out of this series to get the reissue treatment but what of the others? I think that Discogs link shows another 4 or so of his and I was particularly curious about A Bag Full of Blues which has Joe Newman and Jerome Richardson.

4 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

oh god ok so the thad/mel got put on BN and the rest were UA, wow

i feel candido 1000finger man should of been on blue note

you guys know what im talkin about!!!  yea dawg!  solid state series!

Candido was on Solid State (which was by then owned by US), period. No "Series". that was a totally different thing.

Look:

R-726303-1155120445.jpeg.jpg

R-726303-1538824905-9091.jpeg.jpg

R-726303-1277747707.jpeg.jpg

16 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Candido's follow-up LP, "Beutiful", was released on Blue Note though, so "Thousand Finger Man" was issued right on the changeover.

I don't understand what this means? "issued right on the changeover"?

R-7634813-1445610140-9272.jpeg.jpg

Ok, did you mean "right AT the changeover"? That makes sense, then.