NEA Jazz Masters 2019

paul secor

"This evening of performances by world-renowned musicians will pay tribute to the NEA Jazz Masters’ careers, with performances by Jay Anderson, Steve Berger, Terence Blanchard, Terri Lyne Carrington, Kurt Elling, 2012 NEA Jazz Master Sheila Jordan, Bill Goodwin, Cleave Guyton, Grace Kelly, Frank Kimbrough, Noah Jackson, Christian McBride, Charles McPherson, Jason Moran, David Murray, Pat O’Leary, and Scott Robinson."

Has Grace Kelly gotten better representation off of her videos with asshat/baritone dude? (Not to re-open that discussion but this seems like a somewhat surprising choice).

Anyway - how much money is at stake?  Because frankly, even though I haven't even read the first book, if this money allows Crouch to finish his Bird Tome, I am all in favor. I'd hate for him to pass on without publishing whatever he's got on Bird's bebop years and the first one only took what, 15 or 20 years? He is 73 now.

It's a $25,000 prize.

As awards go, you would rather win a Doris Duke Foundation jazz master award (top tier of $275,000 and lower tier of $80,000), or a MacArthur Foundation genius award ($625,000).

Edited by kh1958