Favorite 60's rock band....

Brandon Burke

Name your favorite 60's rock band.....  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impossible to name one.

Some other candidates to consider, though...

Sly and The Family Stone -- not R&B, not funk, not rock, but all of the above...

Love

Moby Grape

The Fugs

The Yardbirds -- that way you get Clapton, Beck and Page all in one fell swoop; and they did have some GREAT singles

and, in the vein of Jim's suggestion...

The Count Five

Edited by Joe

Love The Beatles or loathe them, but it's a sign of how completely they changed the popular music landscape of the 1960s that nobody's yet mentioned Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. For a generation of Americam men (the one before mine), THEY were Rock & Roll, not the Mop Tops.

And here's another plug for The Rascals, Young or otherwise. A REALLY strong run of singles, most of which still sustain interest beyond the nostalgic.

Had to select "Someone Else" because my top 4 are (in no particular order): Hendrix, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Cream.

Can't pick a "Top 1" anyway ... B)

The next tier of favs would be most of what everyone else has mentioned as "Someone Else" selections - VU, Yardbirds, Mothers, etc ...

Edited by BFrank

A few kind words, for the Hollies in the 60s - not as a "favorite band", or anything, but as a group that put out some really badass singles, finely crafted melodies, impeccable vocal arrangements, and slightly ahead-of-the curve production. "Pay You Back With Intrest" in particular continues to fascinate.

No shit.

The Who!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon - did you know they played prom at Shawnee Mission South in the sixties???

Eric

PS - Can anyone recommend some Kinks?

I had no idea. That's really wild.

As far as the Kinks go....definately begin with Village Green Preservation Society. From there I'd hit Face to Face and Something Else. A word to the wise: look for the European reissues because they sound better and contain an absolutely ridiculous amount of bonus tracks. Some of them (like Village Green) just repeat the album in mono but others like Face to Face, Kinda Kinks and Something Else have almost as many bouns tracks as there were tracks on the original LP! You'll be able to recognize these reissues because they have a clear inner tray instead of the standard black/charcoal.

Edited by Brandon Burke

From the list 'The Byrds'. I only knew them at the time via the singles on the radio. But I discovered them on disc in the 80s. I think I return to them more than any other of the listed bands.

I'd also suggest they were the closest to jazz on the list!

Off list...well scores of examples. I love so many of the groups from that time and the start of the 70s.

But my personal choice would be:

Fairport Convention.

Does anybody have that newish Zombies collection? I hear that's really good.

Are you talking about Zombie Heaven, the box set? Other than a simple greatest hits CD I'm not sure of anything else out there of that sort.

That Zombie Heaven box rules, by the way. I think it might be OOP by this point.

For this poll to be effective I think you have to first get rid of the The Beatles and the Stones - two 800-pound gorillas. Quite frankly, every other band of that era is second tier compared to them. In other words, I couldn't not vote for the Beatles as my favorite, but with them out of the picture I'd have gone for the Kinks or VU or the Doors or...

Edited by RDK

Add The Who to my list as well. I'd almost throw Hendrix in there, but his career was cut too short for me to consider him a definitive 60's band.

Glad to see the Moby Grape reference. Their first album is in my Top Ten, but after that piece of absolutely fuckin' brilliance there isn't a whole lot more of note. I kinda feel the same way about Love's "Forever Changes."

Led Zeppelin. I had the pleasure of seeing them live three different times and, I might add, in three distinctly different states of consciousness. I still think their first album is among the top two or three rock albums ever made. They were the model for so much that was yet to come. To coin a phrase, "never were so many influenced by so few." Have a look at their recent live DVD release if you have any doubt about the power they brought to the stage. One of the few bands that could just flat blow you away.

Up over and out.

I also find it interesting that most replies to the original question seem to think of "the 60s" as 1967 (roughly) & beyond, ie - "Hendrix & beyond". I can certainly sympathize with that, especially because I think the demographic here might have come to 60s music from a 70s (or even 80s) perspective. But as somebody who spent the entire decade with a transistor radio growing out of his ear, I can tell you that "60s rock" covers about as diverse and as eclecic range of music as pretty much any such categorization imaginable, including "50s jazz".

Now...

How about The Move?

I caught most of the bands mentioned live including the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, the Doors, Led Zep, Jefferson Airplane but still it's Jimi Hendrix who rocked and rolled all over me...

The Experience was a short one but the memory still lives...

How about The Move?

I once saw The Move....get out of a limo in Newquay, Cornwall and walk into the nightclub they were performing in.

I was way to young for nightclubs (I'm way too old now).

They'd just 'gone heavy' and had a hit with 'Brontasaurus'. Must have been 1970.

From a very limited list, the Byrds.

Apart from that ....

sc004t.jpg

Great to see the Hollies and the Move mentioned in this sort of context, even if they're more pop than rock. I always dug the Tremeloes, actually. And - bloody hell - what about the Small Faces? Afterglow and Tin Soldier I consider the prototypes for heavy metal because of the drumming. Totally hip. I'd also give a thumbs up for early Bob Seeger.

Edited by kenny weir

Not easy pickings.

The Beatles was the first rock I heard playing with my Matchbox cars listening to my parents' copy of Hey Jude & Abbey Road.

The Who ruled my life from my mid-teens thru early 20s. As much as I love The Who Sell Out, my favorite album is Quadrophenia, and that's from the '70s.

My favorite Stones is Exile and the very end of the '60s stuff. Love the U.S. psychedelic bands, VU, and so many more. But as far as what I play today that still sounds the freshest, it's gotta be The Kinks.

Something Else & Village Green are my 2 absolute favorites (don't make me pick!) along with the others nearby. I also love Muswell Hillbillies from '71. I'll 2nd (or third?) the advice about getting the imports. The are a ton of extra cuts and the mono mixes are terrific.

Quincy -

If I'm not mistaken, your avatar is none other than Reddy Kilowatt. Wow, does that take me back. He was the "personification" of PP&L. I know him well cuz my dad was an HR Manager with PGE for over 30 years. My brother and I always liked Reddy better that the lightening bolt PGE used.

Up over and out.