Don Shula R.I.P.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:22 AM, JSngry said:

Were his steaks really that good? Where would I go to get one, once it becomes practical to do so?

No idea where you could get one, as Chris says the steaks are neither the worst nor the best.

What I found objectionable because it was so damn hokey is that they don't hand out menus. 

They hand out regulation size footballs, on which is printed the menu items.

And I want to say that you only get 1 or 2 per table so you might wait to get a look at it before having to pass it around.

Well, hand it off.  :g

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Not a fan of his, especially for that trick of not covering the field the night before the 1983 AFC Championship game against the Jets do they could slow the Jets running game down. Adios Donny. 

And later in life, he had the audacity to call Bill Belichick "Bill Beli-cheat". I lost all respect for him after that. "Tape-from-the-wrong-location"-gate can't hold a candle to the stuff that was done to gain an advantage back in the old days.

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Not a fan of his, especially for that trick of not covering the field the night before the 1983 AFC Championship game against the Jets do they could slow the Jets running game down. Adios Donny. 

How is that any better or worse than what groundskeepers do at baseball stadiums?

For that matter, how would a soggy-ish field slow one team down but not the other?

That kind of thing doesn't sound like a "trick" to me nearly as much as it does simple tactical maneuvering. Was it against any rule in any way?

I neglected to mention that the night before the game there was a downpour; the game has been labeled the Mud Bowl. It slowed the Jets because they had an excellent running game and Shula purposely didn’t put the tarp on the field. It was far different from what groundskeepers do. See https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/ex-jets-recall-mud-bowl-one-that-slipped-away-1.1719636

As a result of this game, the NFL did change the rules. Either the rule was changed to require the home team to protect the field from weather conditions or the league took it over to make sure the visiting team wasn’t at a disadvantage. 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:45 AM, catesta said:

It was hard not to love the Dolphins as a kid in the early 70s. RIP Coach.

I hear you--Bob Griese at QB (Indiana connection, a Hoosier who went to Purdue) and that running-back triple-threat of Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris, and Jim Kiick, Garo Yepremian at placekicker, Paul Warfield at WR, Nick Buoniconti leading a great defensive cast... great memories of watching those early/mid 70s teams.