Ivo Perelman Recommendations

romualdo

I've been listening to Ivo for a few years now & have many of his Leo CDs up till 2011-2012. Looks like he has been unbelievably prolific since then. I've had a hiatus for a few years.

I want to pick up a bit more of his material from the yearly Leo "End Of The Century" sale - there is so much to choose from

Any recommendations - possibly the Art of Improv Trio & Quartets (6CDs), Perelman-Shipp series vols 1-6 or the recent Efforvescence 4CD box, maybe Live In Brussels

Any other fans out there?

Updated/more recent Cook/Morton volumes would have been useful buy they are no more!!

Edited by romualdo

Looking on my shelves it looks like 2012 was my cut-off too.  Although I did see him with Shipp after that and it was an excellent gig.  The one I have bought since, mostly because he's playing with Karl Berger is 'The Hitchhiker'.  It's very good.

So I'm also going to be interested in what folk come up with.

here's an interview I did with him in 2013:

https://www.cliffordallen.me/interviews/ivo-perelman-the-indisputable-truth-of-process-an-interview-2013

there is a ton to choose from -- I think the collaborations with Shipp are among his best. Just got the 9CD set of Brass & Ivory Tales but haven't really chipped away at it too much. 

I found the multi-year spree on Leo to be almost oppressive. He hasn't necessarily been doing things any differently in the last couple years, but I have found it easier to get a foot in the door with releases being spread out among different labels, even if the list of collaborators is largely the same.

My feeling is that, especially with Shipp (but also on his own) he is undergoing a rather unique project in improvised music to sort of forge music out of the fire of intense extended repetition. I think the question that has been at the forefront of the free improvisation sphere especially for some time is how to keep the music new; always present and free of cliche. I think that Perelman has made fascinating advancements here. You could argue Matthew Shipp has been on a similar mission, and in my mind has produced similar results. If you had asked me about either musician 8-10 years ago, I would have been dismissive. I feel completely differently today, in no small part due to what I've heard from them over the last couple/few years specifically.

I have especially enjoyed:

with Shipp, Bobby Kapp, and William Parker: Ineffable Joy (ESP-Disk)
with Nate Wooley: Polarity (Burning Ambulance)
with Gordon Grdina & Hamin Honari: The Purity of Desire (Not Two)
with Matthew Shipp: Live In Nuremberg (SMP)

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm interested in hearing the responses to this. 

From the looks of his social media, he has an enormous box set of duets brewing, or something like that.

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Brass & Ivory Tales

9CD set with Polish label "Listen Foundation"

brass/piano duets including Burrell, Crispell, Fernandez, Courvoisier, Taborn

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/album/brass-ivory-tales

Edited by romualdo