AMG facelift

A web design site is calling this a case study of how not to redesign a site. Duh!

:g They also mentioned the site musicplasma.com as what they had hoped it would turn into...so, I check it out...another flash heavy site, that I couldn't make do jack! Some text off to the left, a bunch of planetary crap about how some artists related to others, I couldn't search for shit...can anyone else???

Does flash not just suck completely?

Edited by BERIGAN

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting comment on All Music Guide's Response to Redesign Complaints (waxy.org)

For me, what's most distressing is that it's clear that no users were brought into the design process. Considering their rabid fan base, finding people willing to test the site throughout the design phases would have been a snap. But no, they assumed they Knew Best and launched with what made sense to them... and clearly not to anyone else. (posted by Peter Merholz on July 13, 2004 05:23 PM)

they still don't have their tables under control. I know this thing is optimised for MSIE, but still, this is plain whack! Depending on where I place the mouse, the table make up changes!  :wacko:

Ain't it fun to try to "catch" an artist or an album while using Opera?

Doesn't this tell it all?

647.gif

The data is obviously placed by software, because it is riddled with errors, some quite hilarious. I looked up my name and found out that I had worked with Charlie Green! I was five when he died. That's only one blatant error, there are man, many more, throughout AMG. Before they add sound and other embellishments, I think they ought to check out what they have and make corrections.

Chris,

You must have been good to work with Charlie Green at age five! :g

Mark

Matthew and others: After a week's frustration - and several to and fro e-mails with the AMG people - I am now able to search on the site.

They made several suggestions, mostly regarding adjusting my settings on things such as cookies, trusted sites and so on - none of which worked.

The problem - on my work computer only - was solved by one of our in-house boffins, who installed an updated version of IE and ran AdAware to get rid of some nasties.

Seems a little housekeeping might be in order.

The site still seems more cumbersome than it used to ...

When I used the site yesterday (before discovering that MP3.com has the same content) I had frequent connection errors (IE showed the local error page), so I had to retry very often.

I looked up the information on a dozen albums and it took me ten times longer than with the old site. Because my registration on thwe site has not succeed yet, I can not access the musicians listing (Credits).

My IE 6.0 is updated to the latest version, it works with every other site.

• 3 weeks later...

They wrote me back, too, saying go Safari or Mozilla, but Internet Explorer is out. I can use it from work, where we have dial up, but not on the I Mac, which in is only 6 months old, on the high speed home computer. I'm shocked to read you all having the same problems, though. They've made their site much less user friendly by limiting the compatability of browsers, bowser.

Absolutely - must be the Eddie Costa who plays keyboards on the 1970s P.J. Colt records.

Or maybe it's the Eddie Costa who engineered the 1992 Marco Pereira album.

Could be the Eddie Costa who sings on the 1995 Planet Soup album.

See, with the dreaded allmusic site, there's no need for such limited thinking that it has to be the guy who the bio talks about. Don't be close-minded! Remember ALL music.

Mike

MP3.com has the content from AMG (including the reviews), but the website is much faster and compatible with all browsers.

http://www.mp3.com

MP3.com has now added the possibility to search for track names.

That's a cool site.

Of late, my Opera browser would go down around ten seconds after hitting the AMG-page...

Design is much better on the MP3 site, too! You don't have those appearing and discappearing covers and all that crap.

ubu

• 5 months later...