FORUM WEST (MODERN JAZZ FROM WEST GERMANY)

Gary

'Dutton' is Mick Dutton, the owner of Dutton Laboratories Ltd of Watford UK who put out the 'Dutton Vocalion' reissues. Vocalion name taken from the old label of that name (of which they have released many titles, sort of 50s Brit MOR stuff :blink: ).

This sort of thing:

'CDLK 4205 Vera Lynn: Singles compilation - Come back to me

CDLK 4204 Edmundo Ros: Ros on Broadway & Ros on Broadway again'

They have been licensed to issue a whole batch of rare 60s/70s jazz Derams and Argos, which originally came under the 'Decca' umbrella (ie. Universal).

Glad my order of the 'Forum' came through OK :D

Edited by sidewinder

Don't mention Dutton, pu-lleaze!

I just gave the Forum West disc a spin. Verrry nice! Not one dull cut on there!

However, let me rant a bit about the not so good annotation...

#2: is this Koller overdubbed on multiple tenor saxes, or is there someone else?

#3: who plays vibes here? Haider?

#9: who plays the flutes here? I hear two, and no bari, I think, so Ross and who else? Can't tell if there's an alto or tenor in the ensemble... well, obviously I need to listen again, since I should find that out myself...

one of the later Koller cuts (#12 or #15) has flute in the mix - again: is Koller overdubbing? (or is it soprano? man, I should take notes, my memory is not good enough to remember this stuff for more than two minutes...)

Will definitely enjoy this disc again soon, and hopefully numerous times to come!

Makes that later day 70's Pauer "Blues..." on MPS look dim. :tup :tup

Really? Coincidentally, I received from Mr. Tanno the 'Blues Inside Out' title yesterday and enjoyed the first spin. First exposure to Pauer....guess I'll have to check out one of those non-"dim" ones. ;)

Yeys, that trio stuff on Wewerka is right up your strassa!

On Pauer: he is still highly regarded in Austria, it seems... I heard a recent (2004, I think) solo concert on the radio, and found it rather dull and drab... some grooves, some stride, some this, some that, some some, and some more, and all very much on the easy side...

Makes that later day 70's Pauer "Blues..." on MPS look dim. :tup :tup

Really? Coincidentally, I received from Mr. Tanno the 'Blues Inside Out' title yesterday and enjoyed the first spin. First exposure to Pauer....guess I'll have to check out one of those non-"dim" ones. ;)

Yeys, that trio stuff on Wewerka is right up your strassa!

On Pauer: he is still highly regarded in Austria, it seems... I heard a recent (2004, I think) solo concert on the radio, and found it rather dull and drab... some grooves, some stride, some this, some that, some some, and some more, and all very much on the easy side...

I am only able to compare the MPS to the Wewerka: the MPS sucks and the Wewerka rocks. Not much easiness about the Wewerkas, just solid and groovy I'd say.

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately on the label homepage it's only available on CD ... and MP3 (some additional tracks are available as MP3s only):

http://www.sonarkollektiv.com/releases/SK108CD/

http://www.sonarkollektiv.com/releases/SK108MP3/

The page also has discographical details for every track.

Edited by Claude

thumbs up on this one as well. I loaded a couple few cuts from e-music and subsequently ordered up and have been waiting for the real deal from da bastids for a week now.

as flautilisciously swingin' as the cover...

and ... it tipped me to Dusko Goykovich who I'd not been familiar w/ as a leader. that "Swinging Macedonia" must be a heck of an album.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

I put that Pauer solo show up on the other site, in case you may have missed it. It's not that bad as I stated above - I guess back then I just had too high expectations...

Does the second volume of Forum West also contain Wewerka stuff, or is it compiled from other source materials, and if so, what? Anyone knows?

Here's a link to th page on the Sonar Kollektiv site over in Germany. No mention of a version on LP - just CD and MP3 ( :( ). Hopefully they will re-think that one?

A bit more emphasis on moody Iron Curtain/Slavic music on this set, it would appear. Sound samples sound great (that 'Swingin' Macedonia' LP came out on Philips and (in UK) Columbia, I believe).

Sonar Kollektiv

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...