RIP Timmy Thomas

JSngry

https://www.soultracks.com/story-timmy-thomas-dies

This was one of those records (William DeVaughn had another one) that when it came on the radio, time stood still...or at least the rest of the world vanished,

This is an interesting piece of meaningless trivia:

The Indiana-born Thomas began his musical career in jazz, working as a sideman for Donald Byrd before taking on steady gigs as a session musician in Memphis

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This was one of those records (William DeVaughn had another one) that when it came on the radio, time stood still...or at least the rest of the world vanished...

Completely agree.  And nothing else in the world sounded like it, until Hall and Oates ripped off the arrangement for two of their later hits.  

RIP.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Agreed on both Thomas and DeVaughn.  Be thankful for what you got indeed.  Thomas never had another cut that came close to this, but didn't need to.  Sade and Steve Winwood did strong covers, and Winwood featured the song in his live gigs.  I had the Thomas cut in my 2020 BFT.  Was surprised at how many here didn't know it (it was a #3 pop hit in 1972), but everyone really liked it.  And it is timeless, as relevant today as it was 50 years ago when it was released.  RIP.

Sky had done the rhythm box thing earlier, but Thomas was just so stark about it. That whole record was stark. Not really a "song", just a non-stop flow of bareness from the soul, one man. Just one man, literally, wondering why can't we live together 

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Sky had done the rhythm box thing earlier, but Thomas was just so stark about it. That whole record was stark. Not really a "song", just a non-stop flow of bareness from the soul, one man. Just one man, literally, wondering why can't we live together 

I take it you mean Sly and not Sky Saxon? Yes, there was something different about the Timmy Thomas record.

My friend Kyle Long, who hosts an amazing weekly program on Indianapolis' NPR member station WFYI called "Cultural Manifesto," posted this on Facebook:

Damn, this is painful… R.I.P. to one of the greatest legends of Indiana music: Timmy Thomas (November 13, 1944 – March 11, 2022)

Thomas is best known for his classic 1972 soul music masterpiece “Why Can’t We Live Together” - but all his records are worth hearing.

Thomas was inspired to write “Why Can’t We Live Together” after hearing a news report detailing the number of casualties incurred during the Vietnam war. Thomas recalled that moment during an interview, "I said ‘WHAT?! You mean that many mothers’ children died today? In a war that we can’t come to the table and sit down and talk about this, without so many families losing their loved ones?’ I said, ‘Why can’t we live together?’ Bing! That light went off. And I started writing it then. ‘No more wars, we want peace in this world, and no matter what color, you’re still my brother.’”

“Why Can’t We Live Together” had a huge influence on popular music, being one of the first records utilizing a drum machine that received mainstream radio airplay. The song has been covered many times, including a memorable version by Sade. In 2015 the song was once again the subject of national focus, when it was sampled on Drake’s “Hotline Bling”.

Timmy Thomas was born and raised in Evansville, Indiana. I was overcome with regret when I heard news of his passing… Thomas had agreed to do an interview with me discussing his time in Indiana… but somehow the opportunity slipped away in the daily struggles of life.

Rest in peace Timmy Thomas.

Edited by ghost of miles

17 hours ago, bertrand said:

What did Thomas play and what year(s) did he play with Byrd? Nothing in the Lord disco.

My hunch is that it was fill-in work, not permanent band membership. Did Byrd have a working band before the group with Pepper Adams?

But you never know!