Eddie Costa - The House of Blue Lights

Teasing the Korean

12 hours ago, sgcim said:

I once went over the house  after a gig, of that drummer  on the EC album, and on his living room wall was the cover of the EC Trio Live at the 1957 Newport Jazz Festival album. He then offered us some pot, and told us how a woman came on to him at a dept. store earlier that day. "You still got it". his friend told him. "You better believe it", he replied...

"EC album" = House of Blue Lights album?
So that would have been Paul Motian. Now when did that story take place? ;)

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Pot smokin' Al!

Chick hustlin' Al!

Along came Costa drummer man Al! 

Yup, that's Al! He also told us about the time Bill Evans 'borrowed' his best overcoat, and Bill never returned it to him.

However, AB told us that once BE came into some money, he had a list of all the people he 'borrowed' things from, and he reimbursed them for it.

When he reached AB, AB refused to take el moola. These were 'cool' stories for young jazzers like me and my friend (who's now a well-known bari player), and we felt like we were in with the in crowd...😎

• 1 month later...

I liked Gene Lees’ story about storing some clothing for Wiody Herman. Bill Evans borrowed his monogrammed sport coat then met Lees and Herman somewhere, wearing the coat. Evans asked Woody how he like the coat and he replied that it looks familiar. Evans responded, “It’s even monogramed,” then opened it to show the initials W.H. “That stands for William Heavens…”