2022-23 MLB Hot Stove Thread

JSngry

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/25/2022 at 8:50 AM, Dan Gould said:

And the Mets are now questioning some element of Correa's physical.

And now maybe the Mets are ready to walk away?

https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-correa-rumors

Wouldn't mind the Red Sox swooping in at something like 5 years/150 million. And can I say I am relieved that they are extending Devers for 10 years or whatever but that does nothing for the roster.

I am kinda intrigued by Justin Turner on a short-deal for run production, and what I am really intrigued by were the rumors of a deal for young Marlin pitching, and now, my dream that they replace Boegarts with Correa, if a deal can be made.

So let me get this straight: While they knew that Trevor Story had a serious problem with his throwing elbow (again), and Correa was still out there in limbo, they made no effort to try to get him?  I swear they brought in that GM from Tampa and think they can win with a Tampa size payroll. What is the point of all this money coming in from NESN and the ballpark?

And on top of that, Story is rapidly shaping up as the worst free agent signing in recent memory. Utterly shitty season last year, couldn't hit at all except for an isolated 15 day stretch in the late spring, plus other injuries that kept him off the field, and now missing all or most of 2023.

He's going to get better as he goes deeper into his 30s?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, GA Russell said:

It looks like MLB is going to go ahead with the idea of starting extra innings with a runner on second base.

I read today that the sportswriters are calling him the Manfred Man!

It’s now a permanent rule. Many traditionalists are upset by it but I like the rule. 15, 16 inning games are not fun to watch. 

Hate this new rule. And who said extra-inning games should be "fun to watch." They're tests of skill, of the depth and makeup of one's roster. and managerial acumen. Thus they have consequences for further games, as it should be. If you use up your bullpen in an extra-inning game, you don't have relief pitchers left for tomorrow. We're talking about a season after all, not just one game, and it's up to the managers to weigh those risks.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:35 AM, Larry Kart said:

Hate this new rule. And who said extra-inning games should be "fun to watch." They're tests of skill, of the depth and makeup of one's roster. and managerial acumen. Thus they have consequences for further games, as it should be. If you use up your bullpen in an extra-inning game, you don't have relief pitchers left for tomorrow. We're talking about a season after all, not just one game, and it's up to the managers to weigh those risks.

Back in the day, when a bullpen was used up like that, the starting pitcher the next day had to go deep into the game. It didn't matter if he was getting shelled, you stayed in and pitched, to heck with your ERA!

I didn't understand this announcement at all. Wasn't this decided 1 or 2 years ago?  So its now officially permanent? Was there ever any real suspicion they would drop the rule?

To me the real question is will they start to apply it to the post-season or continue to not use it when it really truly counts?

Given that this has existed at least one season, I am more concerned with the actual new rules starting now:

The pitch clock and the batter having to be ready within a certain number of seconds;

Limited throws to first and bigger bases encouraging SBs.

Limitations on shifts with two fielders required on each side of second base and no one in the outfield ... that seems huge to me.