Is there a 12-step program for CD addicts?

Hardbopjazz

Women just don't understand our addiction to jazz and music in general....

ah..... stereotypes. :blink:

How about "some women don't understand ...."

or how about... what part about your wife not liking jazz did you not know before the nuptials?

:P

Edited by rachel

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or how about... what part about your wife not liking jazz did you not know before the nuptials?

Okay, some women don't understand, not all women, or the ones I've known don't understand. Well, maybe taking my wife to Cecil Taylor for her first jazz show might have triggered it.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

The first jazz concert I took my last girlfriend to was some old boring guys. I told her part of the fun was to just check out new stuff on a lark. Bad idea.

Then I took her to a McCoy Tyner and though she never became a jazzbo, she at least understood the difference.

Shopping for a CDs with a woman is easy. Just find the nearest shoe store before hand and remember to pick her up when you're done. Or not. Whatever.

My dumb-ass solution to the CD addiction was to stop buying DVDs and books and to sell most of them away. The library and NetFlix make that easy. I'm giving myself one money draining hobby and there was no question as to what that would be.

On some weekends, my CD addiction makes me a cheap date. :w

Women just don't understand our addiction to jazz and music in general. If I had a shoe addiction, my wife would be hunting and shopping with me.

No, not all women, but maybe it's finding the right one. :) And then again, not every woman has a shoe fetish. :P Hmmm... as I think about it, I do know more woman who prefer shoe shopping to cd shopping. I do know women who have an equal desire for shoes and cd's. Now that's scary.

HA HA HA!!!!! This is my first time looking at this thread and this is just too funny! I thought I was really bad, but some of your stories are actually making me feel good about myself.

When I just "happen" to end up in the jazz sections of Borders, Tower, or "happen" to walk by Jazz Record Mart or a used CD store, and when I see something I want and I don't have any money, I think to myself "I shouldn't buy this now, but then again, SOMEDAY, I'm going to get it, so why not just do it now??", and out comes the plastic. This is truely a disease.

Edited by sal

Festivals are bad news.

You've seen a great gig, the CDs are on sale, you convince yourself you'll never find them anywhere else and....

I'm dreading the Bath Festival in three weeks. There's a stall there that always has oodles of strange and peculiar stuff. I can never resist.

The darned internet coupled with the credit card are the worst of them all - it's so easy to place orders (far too often) especially when there's total lack of will to refrain from doing so.

Whereas, with bricks and mortar stores, festivals etc, you would need to travel to those places to buy items. The very thought of having to navigate horrendous traffic jams, paying for parking, petrol, car maintenance etc is a very good deterrent, for me at least.

Solution: Cut all access to internet and credit cards - but in this day and age, that's virtually impossible.

The darned internet coupled with the credit card are the worst of them all - it's so easy to place orders (far too often) especially when there's total lack of will to refrain from doing so.

Whereas, with bricks and mortar stores, festivals etc, you would need to travel to those places to buy items. The very thought of having to navigate horrendous traffic jams, paying for parking, petrol, car maintenance etc is a very good deterrent, for me at least.

Solution: Cut all access to internet and credit cards - but in this day and age, that's virtually impossible.

Ditto!

To hell with internet, on-line stores and credit cards! ^_^

When I just "happen" to end up in the jazz sections of Borders, Tower, or "happen" to walk by Jazz Record Mart or a used CD store, and when I see something I want and I don't have any money, I think to myself "I shouldn't buy this now, but then again, SOMEDAY, I'm going to get it, so why not just do it now??", and out comes the plastic.  This is truely a disease.

:lol::lol::tup

That is my #1 favorite/most used rationalization!! Might as well by it NOW, that way I can enjoy it SOONER!! ;)

Second most used excuse: IT'S ON SALE!!!

Dr Scott's 10 step program for jazz CD addicts

1 obtain internet access

2 make sure you have a credit card which has not been maxed out by previous purchases

3 log on to Organissimo.com

4 realize you are in the wrong place and got over to Organissimo.org

5 read a few threads (especially the Mosaic thread, Recommendations, New releases) until your desire for a disc begins to cause that uneasy feeling of emptiness

6 comparison shop at Half.com, CDUniverse, Tower, cheapcds.com, deepdiscountcd.com

7 place your order

8 wait for the Mailman, Fedex, UPS with great anticipation

9 once the music arrives, listen to your purchase with great joy and experience the "high" you set out to achieve.

10 repeat above steps until step 2 cannot be satisfied.

shopping for, collecting and listening to jazz is about as benign as an addiction gets. It is not a disease state and therefore does not need treatment, only satisfaction and should be satisfied as often as is financially responsible.

Have a great day and enjoy your jazz

Thank you Maren. In my experience, it's me who is the addict.

Also, whether it's the man or the woman who is the jazz addict, he/she should have known that while in the courting ritual stage. Much as questions about religion, money, sex, children, location of abode and careers should be aired, so should musical preferences.

We always think that someone we love should learn to love the music we love, but a country music, hard rock or classical music aficinado won't necessarily love jazz..........................ever. We weigh those things and decide whether we want them around enough to overlook this glaring flaw. :w

Thank you Maren. In my experience, it's me who is the addict.

Also, whether it's the man or the woman who is the jazz addict, he/she should have known that while in the courting ritual stage. Much as questions about religion, money, sex, children, location of abode and careers should be aired, so should musical preferences.

We always think that someone we love should learn to love the music we love, but a country music, hard rock or classical music aficinado won't necessarily love jazz..........................ever. We weigh those things and decide whether we want them around enough to overlook this glaring flaw. :w

And on the opposite side of that coin, Patricia, is my wife, who, prior to meeting me, had a job as sound engineer in a cabaret, thus developing a fondness for a lot of the Great American Songbook and jazz vocals, a big change from her younger rock 'n' roll days and making her even more appealing to me.

And on top of that, being a music lover, she completely understands the desire or even addiction for new music and would never deny me my musical pleasures or even my more expensive desires like that rare LP on ebay ...

No wonder I lover her. :wub:

I hear ya', Patricia. I was recently told that I needed to meet this woman who was a huge jazz lover. When I sent her an email about what her favorites were, she fired back w/ Dave Sanborn, Boney James, Rick Braun, and the like. I know that it's probably a little Seinfeldian of me to use this info as exclusionary, but I can't imagine wooing or being wooed to the sound of Sanborn. I asked her if she liked any older jazz, and she said "a little of it...but I'm really into the contemporary stuff. :huh::blink::unsure:

I hear ya', Patricia. I was recently told that I needed to meet this woman who was a huge jazz lover. When I sent her an email about what her favorites were, she fired back w/ Dave Sanborn, Boney James, Rick Braun, and the like. I know that it's probably a little Seinfeldian of me to use this info as exclusionary, but I can't imagine wooing or being wooed to the sound of Sanborn. I asked her if she liked any older jazz, and she said "a little of it...but I'm really into the contemporary stuff. :huh::blink::unsure:

Isn't there more to life and love, than MUSIC? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure there is. Most of my life IS music, so I think that is what makes it difficult to imagine a tryst with this woman being say, lasting. I guess I'm generalizing a little bit. I won't even go into the stereotypes my mind reels off when thinking about what her other cultural tastes might be, after hearing her smooth jazz leanings. Maybe this woman is really great, no matter who is stinkin' up the room on the stereo. I'm not going to rule anything out. I do feel that if we ever did get together, for real...we'd have to maintain seperate cd storage spaces. I can't imagine having Rick Braun cds next to Clifford Brown. B)

Yeah, I'm sure there is. Most of my life IS music, so I think that is what makes it difficult to imagine a tryst with this woman being say, lasting. I guess I'm generalizing a little bit. I won't even go into the stereotypes my mind reels off when thinking about what her other cultural tastes might be, after hearing her smooth jazz leanings. Maybe this woman is really great, no matter who is stinkin' up the room on the stereo. I'm not going to rule anything out. I do feel that if we ever did get together, for real...we'd have to maintain seperate cd storage spaces. I can't imagine having Rick Braun cds next to Clifford Brown. B)

doubleM: I'm glad that you are not ruling out getting to know this woman better. Life is about growth and interaction. I would shudder if you saw my CD collection from just a few short years ago. (Yes, I own Kenny G Live, but it has been residing under the legs of one of my dressers for quite a few years) But people grow and change; maybe she just needs to be exposed to something different. That is the loveliness of life... sharing ourselves and our experiences w/others.

To simply assume that since she likes more contemporary music which might be "light" for your taste that she has poor taste in other areas of life is, um, a little shallow. (I say this w/affection--I just hate to see people miss out on things in life due to preconceived notions ;) ). Generalizations of any type just kinda bug me... (see my above post). I think she has the basis for potentially truly falling in love with your kind of music.

Give it a shot and see how you can influence her.

PS LOVE your drawings!

Edited by rachel

Thanks Rachel. You seem to possess some wisdom. I haven't even seen her yet! Nor had the chance to discuss other loves, like art, cuisine, the NBA, Elliott Smith, living in the NorthWest, Court TV, to name a few. I'm sure I could learn many things about life from her, or darn near anyone. Stereotypes are bad news. I'm always open to a little re-alignment on what is real, vs. imaginary...be it from within, or from another relative stranger! Couw, I have Tina Brooks' entire catalog, but it's filed in the sax/reeds section. Between Braxton and Byas. B) Cheers!

Hey MM: I re-read my own post, and while I agree w/ everything I wrote I must say that sometimes I'm guilty of not listening to my own "wisdom", as it were...

I reversed the situation and found that my initial reaction probably would have been much like yours... (ewww..... Rick Braun!...) So I'm directing my post at me as much as you. ^_^

Now... if she doesn't like sports, then you really need to think hard, man...

I'm 26 years old. Not a lot of female jazz fans in my circle.

I just separate my love of music and women. I've just accepted that a woman won't understand (nevermind share) this passion. They just have to tolerate it. Let me buy my music, let me go to the concerts, and don't get on my case.

Letting someone do their own thing is as important in a relationship as sharing things. Music is my own thing.