What are the qualities you dislike the most?

Yeah, I guess I'm just lucky; I've never had to go through that check thing. The closest I've come is having lunch with one friend who thinks 10% is an extravagent tip. I just figure what the hell, and throw more on the table when his back is turned. I think it's more a case of his living in a cave rather than being evil.

Dmitry, I think in the cases you're speaking of, "dishonesty" and "cheapness" come pretty close to being the same thing! ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get bugged when someone doesn't pay their fair share. There have been numerous times when I have had to overpay.

If I'm going out with a group of people, I make sure to bring smaller bills, so I can pay my fair share. I don't just bring twenties and ask if anyone has change. What I order is based upon how much I have to spend (factoring a 15-20% tip). I wouldn't think it fair if someone had to pay extra because I indulged myself, and I don't think that I should have to pay for someone else's high time.

I just think it's the considerate thing to do.

I have a friend who always asks for seperate checks (even when the group is pretty large). I think that's pretty cheap, but if that's what he needs than that's cool with me.

I also agree with JS - Fake people suck!

Yeah, I guess I'm just lucky; I've never had to go through Dmitry, I think in the cases you're speaking of, "dishonesty" and "cheapness" come pretty close to being the same thing!  ;)

So far we covered cheapness. :)

I guess we can call it one of the facets of dishonesty.

An example - my friend got a juicy kick-back from a lawyer whom he referred me to after I got into a nasty car accident some years ago.

I found out about it much later. The friend never said anything, like "let's split it, because I know you're not working now, being hurt and all" or something like that.

I was very upset when I found out, to put it mildly.

An example - my friend got a juicy kick-back from a lawyer whom he referred me to after I got into a nasty car accident some years ago.

I found out about it much later. The friend never said anything, like "let's split it, because I know you're not working now, being hurt and all" or something like that.

I was very upset when I found out, to put it mildly.

:rfr

:angry:

I get concerned when I see the word "fake" as a sign of bad character (I don't disagree though). But when I was in the corporate world I believe you had to be somewhat fake to coexist. I certainly could be....i.e. "I couldn't be more enthusiastic about this product"; "nowhere I'd rather be than right here doing this"; etc. Honesty can be a big risk as well as, depending on the situation and your own circumstances, foolhardy. That's the part I couldn't stand, when I had to take on those traits. I hate phoniness too, but most of all, in myself.

The dishonesty I can't stand is people who seem to lie obsessively. I know a couple of people who it seems, given a choice between an easy truth and telling a convoluted lie, will chose the lie just out of habit. Even if it's something we both know they're lying about! And if you call them on it, they'll swear up and down it's the truth. It just amazes me...

People who spot a minor inconsistency in a thread title and then insist on pointing it out!

[Actually I really hate people who correct my spelling mistakes. That's likely to be alot of people].

Just in the spirit of correcting Bev,

The use of "quality" in this thread is perfectly fine:

Main Entry: 1qual·i·ty

Pronunciation: 'kwä-l&-tE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ties

Etymology: Middle English qualite, from Old French qualité, from Latin qualitat-, qualitas, from qualis of what kind; akin to Latin qui who -- more at WHO

1 a : peculiar and essential character : NATURE <her ethereal quality -- Gay Talese> b : an inherent feature : PROPERTY <had a quality of stridence, dissonance -- Roald Dahl> c : CAPACITY, ROLE <in the quality of reader and companion -- Joseph Conrad>

Everything spelled right, though. I think (not my strong suit, either)

Cue: evil laugh, slowly receding . . .

--eric

I stand corrected!

But then I really hate people who correct my factual accuracy!

You'd not last five minutes in my classroom, Dr. Rat!

8 hours detention for insolence!

"Mr. Stapleton is always right,

Mr. Stapleton is always right,

Mr. Stapleton is always right,

Mr. Stapleton is always right...."

Another one other thing I find very difficult to take is people who don't listen, who think they know what you're going to say after only two or three words (sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally) leave your mouth, and who don't pay attention when you try to communicate contrary to the preconception they've already formed, and who communicate solely from the perspective of that preconception. There's no room for nuance with these deadbolts, and Mr. Sangrey's old and tired ass is ALL about the nuance, doncha' know... :g

I hate people who ask the same question over and over again, but never bother to listen to the response. This quality is frequently found with colleagues and business associates - they feel the need to ask you 9827348756235 times where you're from, if you're married, if you have kids, etc., but never bother to remember the response. :rolleyes: It would be more polite to just not even bother asking.

I hate self-righteous people, too. Since I was very religious growing up and went to a religious university, I've met my fair share of them. Of course, self-righteousness isn't limited to the religious, but it seems that's where that quality is most prevalent.

I seem to be spending a lot more time in the car this year and one thing that's really getting on my nerves is all these people on the PHONE while DRIVING. :rmad::rmad: Many cannot handle this particular form of multi-tasking very well. 99 times out of 100 when I encounter someone who's driving erratically, sure enough, they're on the damn phone!! They sit at green lights, drive alternately too fast/too slow, weave, don't signal ('cause their hands are full) and it seems like they're frequently driving the biggest SUVs.

The same thing with students at both schools where I teach part-time- the second class lets out they've got that phone attached to their ear. Sometimes DURING class they have to take or make calls. I have to ask at the beginning of rehearsals/classes that they turn off their phones, and you'd think I was asking for a kidney or something. How did we ever exist without cell phones? :rolleyes:

I got my cell phone mainly for my wife to have when she travels. I use it to check in, get a grocery list, etc. Short calls. I'm not interested in talking endlessly while driving- I'd rather catch up on listening to music, which is much less distracting to me.

I think our ability to multi-task is highly over-rated. Technology is kicking our ass.

The other thing I hate is people who bitch behind your back instead of confronting you directly. These people are most often the weak link in whatever chain they are part of. Students are notorious for doing this- they'll sit quietly in class and never say a word, but then you might hear that they've gone to a dept. chair or someone and complained about something you've done or said. Usually it seems they're trying to find a way to avoid work. These days when you are teaching you have to be very careful what you say (PC-wise) and you have to cover yourself "legally" by providing a fairly detailed syllabus which outlines specifically all class requirements, so that when someone challenges a grade you've got something with which to defend yourself. I'd much rather have a student say TO MY FACE what's on their mind. I actually respect them more for having the balls to do that.

If the whiners spent half the time learning the material/practicing their instrument as they spend bitching, they'd be doing just fine.

OK, sorry I blew up! :ph34r: