Last Night's Jazz Dream

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I dreamed I was lookin at a lake, standing there and suddenly I hear a piano which sounds almost as great as Bud, same touch, familiar bop phrases and saw a guy who was just very young guy whith still a bit of baby fat, eyeglasses and he was sittin in a boat that was passin´ by and he had a portable piano on it. I thought wow never heard someone else than Bud blowin on the keyboard on "Bouncin" with Bud", "Move" and all that stuff. 
I waited until he got off the boat and asked him questions where he plays and so, but he didn´n mention the great jazz venues I had supposed he might play , as much piano as he knew....., and I wanted to help him a bit, especially on playin ballads, cause I think you got to have some time to play and to live, to really feel a ballad ....., that´s when I woke up....

Edited by Gheorghe

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I was laying on a couch or bed playing a spirited game of tug of war with a dog that had Joe Henderson's head, right down to the over-size glasses he favored.  The body (I would guess in the pit bull zone) simply ended where his waist/hindquarters would have been.  He had remarkable strength for a man/dog with no rear legs.

Despite that and many other moments of bad weirdness, I slept remarkably well.

Edited by Dan Gould

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I dreamed that @JSngry invited us all to a Christmas party, and asked us to bring LPs or CDs with jazz versions of Christmas songs.  Then things got a little hallucinogenic.  He said that some obscure Christmas movie was playing on TCM, and we had to organize the records we brought into a specific order to be played in synch with the film, kind of like the crazy thing with Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz.  The film made absolutely no sense, and I can't remember what the music sounded like with the film. 

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

😹

I had a dream that I went to NJ and hung out with some Org. members and had a good hang. Strangely enough, there was no one that I knew from here. Maybe they were from another dimension

Hey TTK, I got the new book on Nick Drake, Nick Drake A Life by Bruce Morton Jack. By interviewing everyone from ND's life he basically gives a day to day accounting of ND's existence from Cambridge to the end. He was a 6ft 2" dude, who was an athlete in school, and played the sax and piano. He started his own jazz band. then he discovered the steel string acoustic guitar and I think he tried to make it into a piano by using insane tunings that enabled him to play chords with seconds in them, but he never strummed like Joni Mitchell. He practiced up to 12 hours a day, and developed the technique of a virtuoso classical guitarist, but used all five fingers on his right hand to play a constant stream of arpeggiated 16th notes with a concept of 4 part S-A-T-B harmony and the MFer was able to sing at the same time as if he was doing nothing! Here's a BBC John Peel radio session he did with no accompaniment:

There are 4 or 5 other tunes from the set also.. including the cello song, here played by a flute:

He'd ignore his work at Cambridge, and spend his time practicing all day and night. listening to music on his headphones, and smoking a potent type of hash that may have eventually messed up his brain.

I'm up to p.337 of this 500+ page bio. and he's fed up with sharing the bill with loud rock groups like Atomic Rooster, Genesis, etc... coming out there with only his acoustic guitar, and being largely ignored by rock fans. His first two albums aren't selling, and he did his last live performance, running off stage in the middle of a song. With no live performances, there won't be any more record sales. He's on the escalator to hell...

• 1 month later...

Not jazz, but I had a dream just last night that Keith Richards(!?) and I were trying to make a mushroom risotto.

It started with both of us sifting thru dozens of different risotto recipes online, trying to pick one — and then we tried to make the best one (or some combo of several different recipes).

And now. reflecting back on the dream as I’m typing this, I’m convinced it may have actually been a scene in some sitcom too — i.e. there may have been a laugh-track and/or studio audience watching while Keith and I were trying to work it all out.

(Note: I don’t like mushrooms, but I have made shrimp risotto a few times.)