Jackie McLean - RIGHT NOW

Brandon Burke

Brandon, once you get hooked on Jackie McLean, you will enjoy just about all his sessions. I shied away from him for years, but when I started delving into those BN sessions, there was no looking back.

I agree with this statement. I've found him to be among the top three most consistant creators of great jazz albums that I've encountered in my years of listening to this great music.

This is a substantially better album, IMHO, than Jacknife.

I must respectfully disagree: I think they're both on the same level of enjoyment! Besides, Jack Dejohnette just TEARS IT UP on Jacknife!!! In fact, hearing this as well as Right Now made me go get Lee Morgan's Infinity just to hear more Larry Willis! It don't hurt that big bad Billy Higgins is also on this date!

I can't wait for Action and It's Time to be released.

Me too, although moreso for Action just for the vibes replacing the piano for an interesting texture!

Brandon, once you get hooked on Jackie McLean, you will enjoy just about all his sessions. I shied away from him for years, but when I started delving into those BN sessions, there was no looking back.

I appreciate the note but, to be honest, I've been hooked on Jackie for many years now. I was only new to Right Now becasue, like I said earlier, I prefer Jackie in at least a 2-man front line.

Thanks though...

Brandon

[EDIT] BTW, I completely agree about Action. That one's been on the top of my "what should BN reissue next" list since I joined the BN board. Of course, I have the LP and will likely not buy the RVG. Still, I think others should have the opportunity to hear it for under $20.

Edited by Brandon Burke

I'm listening to this for the first time right now. It is great. I'm not a fan of avant garde or free jazz but I really like this one.

AMG kind of scared me off with their description of this one as "fairly free". I'm certainly no expert, but I don't agree with that.

To my ears this is about the right balance of hard bop structure with a bit more looseness and adventurousness thrown in.

I can understand why jazz artists got tired of the confines of the hard bop format, but recordings that sound like everyone was playing a different song at the same time, or a bunch of electrocuted geese, just don't do it for me.

Maybe someday I will understand that Sam Rivers/Ornette Coleman/later Coltrane/thing. That is the beauty of the jazz genre- I can keep expanding my horizons as my listening tastes become more "sophisticated".

But for now McLean's "Right Now" is right where I want to be. I will be playing this one often.

Maybe someday I will understand that Sam Rivers/Ornette Coleman/later Coltrane/thing. That is the beauty of the jazz genre- I can keep expanding my horizons as my listening tastes become more "sophisticated".

But for now McLean's "Right Now" is right where I want to be. I will be playing this one often.

riverrat,

Have you listened to Ornette's The Shape of Jazz to Come? In some respects it's more conservative than Right Now. I don't think you should have any trouble understanding it.

Guy

Picked this one up tonight.

Yep, I like it. Especially but not exclusively "Poor Eric" (I agree with the consensus).

The alternate take of the title track is a quality bonus track, it is winding down as I type. :tup