Dodo Marmarosa

Larry Kart

R-10150247-1492494514-7878.jpeg.jpg&f=1&

Listening to this, played low, this morning. It's a really good album. Nothing out of the ordinary perhaps, but there's still an unusual quality to Marmarosa's playing. The album is well-recorded, which is a plus. And who the heck else has covered "April Played The Fiddle"??

On 2/17/2023 at 8:01 PM, Larry Kart said:

I ran into Dodo right after he made that album with Ammons; there was a trio album too. Our college dorm at the U. of ChIcago put on a concert circa 1962 with Ira Sullivan and company, don't recall right now who the other players were, but it was a fine Chicago rhythm section, I think Jodie Christian, Donald Garrett, and Wilbur Campbell, don't think there was another horn player. The  recently built skyscraper-like dorm, since torn down, was divided into two-floor units, with the top floor of each unit circling the one below -- it was a well-and-balcony-like setup with. the dorm rooms running along the outside of the building, and the band played in the well between maybe floors seven and eight. The audience was as large as could be fit in, people were hanging over the railings of the balconies, and was appropriately enthused. Dodo was there, IIRC Joe Segal brought him along; the whole affair had been coordinated with Joe, with the musicians being well paid, though I don't recall there being an admission fee. So at one point between sets I found myself in someone's dorm room with Dodo and two or three other people. Seated on a bed he seemed rather withdrawn but not unhappy; how could he be with the music that was being played? I don't recall any conversation with him taking place, though I certainly knew who he was.

he was playing pretty well on those early '60s recordings, better, I think, than some from the later '50s. And his style had changed, less "modal" sounding (see what I said above) and less streamlined, a lot of Garner-esque touches.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 2:01 AM, Larry Kart said:

I ran into Dodo right after he made that album with Ammons; there was a trio album too. Our college dorm at the U. of ChIcago put on a concert circa 1962 with Ira Sullivan and company, don't recall right now who the other players were, but it was a fine Chicago rhythm section, I think Jodie Christian, Donald Garrett, and Wilbur Campbell, don't think there was another horn player. The  recently built skyscraper-like dorm, since torn down, was divided into two-floor units, with the top floor of each unit circling the one below -- it was a well-and-balcony-like setup with. the dorm rooms running along the outside of the building, and the band played in the well between maybe floors seven and eight. The audience was as large as could be fit in, people were hanging over the railings of the balconies, and was appropriately enthused. Dodo was there, IIRC Joe Segal brought him along; the whole affair had been coordinated with Joe, with the musicians being well paid, though I don't recall there being an admission fee. So at one point between sets I found myself in someone's dorm room with Dodo and two or three other people. Seated on a bed he seemed rather withdrawn but not unhappy; how could he be with the music that was being played? I don't recall any conversation with him taking place, though I certainly knew who he was.

Stumbled over this thread because I just bought me some early recordings ( 2 ONYX vinyls)  for historical reasons  after I had read parts of GIOIA's "West Coast Jazz".

Very interesting his chapter about "Central Avenue Breakdown"

img44234046jf.jpg

45319710li.jpg

On 3/11/2023 at 3:04 PM, jazzcorner said:

Stumbled over this thread because I just bought me some early recordings ( 2 ONYX vinyls)  for historical reasons  after I had read parts of GIOIA's "West Coast Jazz".

Very interesting his chapter about "Central Avenue Breakdown"

img44234046jf.jpg

45319710li.jpg

The tracks with Dodo are included in this Uptown release:

1442057_1579287318.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8f

8 hours ago, mjzee said:

The tracks with Dodo are included in this Uptown release:

1442057_1579287318.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8f

Ah yes. Thanks for the Info. All the ntracks from both Onyx vinyls?

Do you know this one?  Its more or less a Shorty Rogers Item but on the frontcover the names Geller & Marmjarosa appear!

Very strange

44962148bb.jpg

44962156jb.jpg