Sonny Stitt "Boppin`At Baltimore" (Jazz Detective)

soulpope

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It's on Discogs, inside the cover images.

As far as that second tenor, based on the voice of the player on that "Lover Man" up yonder, I'll go with Mickey Fields, final answer.

For now. 

He tells what Lou Donaldson said about Stitt, and it reveals more about all of that and what the impact of it was that, like.. wow, end of story, critics never said this ever, this is truth, simple truth.

I hope that somebody sits down and let's Charles McPherson talk for as long as it takes. And puts it in a record - all of it. 

I found a 1975 article on Mickey Fields that mentions him sitting in with Stitt 'last year'. We are looking for 1973 though. In 1974, Stitt co-led a Quintet with Lucky Thompson at Left Bank. Is that the time Fields sat in 'last year'? It does not say he sat in with Thompson and Stitt.

came to the same conclusion based on Michael Fitzgerald's list: the facts that 1) the only 1974 date is with Lucky Thompson 2) the date in question is mid November so late in 1973 and 3) evidently someone did sit in in 1973, someone that was taken for granted it seems...  all point towards Fields... 

3 hours ago, Niko said:

came to the same conclusion based on Michael Fitzgerald's list: the facts that 1) the only 1974 date is with Lucky Thompson 2) the date in question is mid November so late in 1973 and 3) evidently someone did sit in in 1973, someone that was taken for granted it seems...  all point towards Fields... 

99% sure it was Fields but not 100% sure because of that 'last year' thing.

If Jim sees a musical common point, that is very strong evidence. I trust his ears.

Two more angles to pursue:

1) This is not the full concert. The announcement at the end of CD2 corresponds to the first set since he says 'we will be back'. If the second set announcement exists, it will mention the guest. This is exactly why these tapes should be in an archive for researchers and not at the mercy of record producers to chop up and resequence.

2) Fowler told me the Stitt/Thompson was recorded but he did not know where the tape was. If it ever surfaces, we will know if Fields is on it. Give me two hours in that basement...

34 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am confused ... is the reality of a second saxophone completely ignored in these expansive liners? And this, on the "Jazz Detective" label? That's too funny.

yes and yes... and it really doesn't take close listening to notice that there are two players... (you can find the liner notes on discogs)

a confusing bit is that in the NPR show linked in the other thread around 4:10-4:30, they actually play one of the two-sax passages, the beginning of A Different Blues (around when Feldman says "dexterity" in the voice-over) but then they cut out a few bars between the head and the first solo that would really make it obvious 

Fields is really playing a Stitt vocabulary, quite heavily, really. But the tone bites more, his attack is harder, and he has a device or two that are not Stitt-ish at all.

Somebody should have heard the two tenors on Stella and started asking questions.

Now I gotta ask - was the Fields sitting in captured in full and in sequence! That would have made for an interesting program tright there. 

Of did. ZevverCo not want to stir up the possibilty of maybe having to pay another party?

No matter. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

LMAO. But were you close pals before?

I would have wanted to just ask the question, how did y'all miss the second saxophone?

We were casually acquainted. What I wanted to ask is what this Lee Morgan thing is that is mentioned in the New Yorker article.

10 hours ago, bertrand said:

We were casually acquainted. What I wanted to ask is what this Lee Morgan thing is that is mentioned in the New Yorker article.

My immediate assumption was that it is referencing Just Coolin' by what the writer thinks is the best known musician in the group.