Hazel Scott - Great Scott! Collected Recordings 1939-57

mjzee

Release date April 7:

71+EMhq1MSL._SL1500_.jpg

Hazel Scott was a jazz pianist and singer, about whom we hear very little these, but who was a stylish and respected performer, especially known for her jazz interpretations of classical pieces and styles, but also a noted composer as well as a fine vocalist with a sophisticated approach to the Great American Songbook. This 69-track 3-CD collection brings together a significant proportion of her recordings during the primary era of her career, before she largely relocated to France in the wake of McCarthy-ite persecution as a committed civil rights activist. It features solo piano recordings, plus piano and vocal performances with small groups and orchestras, so offers an entertaining cross-section of her output for the Bluebird, Decca, V-Disc, Signature, Columbia, Capitol and Debut labels. It includes most of the titles from her albums Swinging The Classics, A Piano Recital, Great Scott, Grand Jazz, Relaxed Piano Moods and Round Midnight, and features recordings with Charles Mingus, Max Roach, J.C. Heard, Sidney Catlett, Toots Camarata, Charlie Shavers, Ernie Caceres, Red Callender, Everett Barksdale and many others. It's a substantial and enjoyable showcase for a talented artist whose work deserves a much higher profile than she has generally enjoyed.

Honest question - should I care about anything other than the Mingus/Roach recordings?  That's all I've ever heard by her, but like them quite a bit.  BTW, Acrobat has great liners/discographical info, put the majors to shame.  I'm a big fan of the label.

I've heard a Classics of hers that is okay, not as enthralling as the Debut material, which is in storage and hasn't been heard in years. .. but this set shows it has Big Sid, Barksdale and Caceres in sessions. . . those three guys are always worth a listen. Looking at discogs one session has Red Callender and Lee Young, which I would be interested in hearing.

I'm not as fond of Acrobat as you are but I may go for it.

Edited by jazzbo