BFT 231

Dub Modal

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Ha, I knew there were some reggae fans around here somewhere 😎

I wish I listened to it more but there's too much Jazz. I got into them both at the same time and could it quite easily have been reggae rather than Jazz that became the obsession.  Still listen occasionally, have to have a dose of The Congos every now and again.

There's a guy who sits in my local shopping area with a sizeable speaker on a hand trolley pumping it out at volume. Makes for a good grocery shopping experience 

28 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I wish I listened to it more but there's too much Jazz. I got into them both at the same time and could it quite easily have been reggae rather than Jazz that became the obsession.  Still listen occasionally, have to have a dose of The Congos every now and again.

There's a guy who sits in my local shopping area with a sizeable speaker on a hand trolley pumping it out at volume. Makes for a good grocery shopping experience 

I got into reggae way before I rediscovered jazz. I still listen to and enjoy music from JA but jazz is a much deeper pool (maybe an ocean to reggae’s sea?) Once I realized that I started to spend way more time with this music. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I owe you a shot at your BFT but not sure too much is going to appeal and work has been so busy its hard to try to listen. I'll try and do something by the weekend though.

👍

Totally understand work being busy. Mid-year can get pretty crazy especially when colleagues are out on vacation etc. 

I owe you a shot at your BFT but not sure too much is going to appeal and work has been so busy its hard to try to listen. I'll try and do something by the weekend though.

Sounds like you need to retire, bud.  ;)

Tell 'em I said so.

Speaking of bingo cards, who had "Dan will like track #1" on theirs? And yet, there it is.

Unfortunately almost all of the rest were misses, mostly way wide of the mark for me. #6 ties with track 1 for enjoyability and of course it's number 4, Hankenstein, that is the one true winner.

(One of my best "finds" that thrilled me to no end was a copy of The Flip found on eBay in the late 90s or early aughts and won for a reasonable price. I remember sending out CDRs to a number of people after I got that and transferred to digital, it was pretty darn rare among collectors at one time. )

Speaking of bingo cards, who had "Dan will like track #1" on theirs? And yet, there it is.

Unfortunately almost all of the rest were misses, mostly way wide of the mark for me. #6 ties with track 1 for enjoyability and of course it's number 4, Hankenstein, that is the one true winner.

(One of my best "finds" that thrilled me to no end was a copy of The Flip found on eBay in the late 90s or early aughts and won for a reasonable price. I remember sending out CDRs to a number of people after I got that and transferred to digital, it was pretty darn rare among collectors at one time. )

Thanks to Mosaic’s Mobley 60s set I got the Flip and damn, I liked it much more than I anticipated. Maybe because the title opener is a bit generic? Once that’s over though there’s some great tunes and playing. 

Glad you dug a couple more too, esp the first track. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

especially fig how the cover photo makes a "HM".

Wow. I never realized that 🤯

Actually played the Flip last night and Philly Joe was standing out in a great way. And it’s the only album I have with Alby Cullaz. Where’d he come from to get this date? 

Clues:

Track 1 is a band of European players. 

I misspoke about Track 5 earlier. Irene Aebi is there, but not singing. 

Track 6 is led by a well known sax player who’s still active today and actually has a tour going on now. 

Track 7, another well known bunch led by a guy who played with a legendary Miles band. 

Track 8 is led by a frequent collaborator with Ehrlich. 

On 6/28/2023 at 1:45 PM, Dub Modal said:

Track 6 is led by a well known sax player who’s still active today and actually has a tour going on now. 

Kenny Garrett? The tone is more Cannon-ish than what I associate with him, but I kinda let him drop off my radar a few years ago. 

And 7 would be a Ron Carter date? The Elektra/Musician date with Art Farmer, Tony Williams, and Bill Evans? 

Not KG but someone who was around and playing when Cannonball was...

And 7 has Ron Carter on bass but it's not his date. The other guys aren't there though. I'll be interested in anyone's thoughts on the album this came from. I suspect it's been under the radar for a long time - or maybe never on the radar? 

Thanks for giving an ear and glad you dug it!