BFT 231

Dub Modal

June's BFT is ready here: https://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

Only 9 tracks, with a short, non-jazz groove included at the end. Dedicating this one to our dog that we lost last year on June 3rd. Still miss the guy like crazy. Things still just aren't the same. 

Hope y'all enjoy this one. 

BFT231

1 – I like this a lot, more than I would expect to on paper.  Would have been skeptical with no bass player, but it swings like mad.  Very talented horn men, especially the lead tenor, who I am really digging.  His date?  Can’t wait for the reveal, don’t believe I own this at all.

2 – This is also really good, and flows beautifully from the first cut, though the alto player is maybe a little too frantic for my tastes.  Rhythm section is strong!

3 – Huh?  No thanks.

4 – Yes, please!  Sure sounds like some classic 60’s BN piece, and I feel like I should be able to easily ID it, but it’s not coming to my tired brain at the moment.  Absolutely need this in my collection, but I would bet it is already there.  I could listen to this sort of thing all day every day.  Love the drummer!  Billy Higgins? 

5 – Disliked it in the beginning, felt the horns were sing-songy, but the cut really grew on me as it progressed, and now I like it quite a bit and hope I have it on the shelves somewhere.

6 – Wonderful!  Surely I know and have it?  If not, I’ll remedy that.  Group listened very carefully to the Coltrane Quartet.

7 – First thoughts are Steve Lacy with Don Cherry, though I can’t substantiate that.  It’s a good cut.

8 – Recording quality leaves something to be desired, but the music is very exciting.  Some serious clarinet playing there, and I’m all in.  John Carter and Bobby Bradford?  Nimbus West crew?  Though that’s not Tapscott on piano, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it was Nate Morgan.  Another where I’m looking forward to the reveal!  Though I fear this one may be from a private tape of some sort rather than from an official release, given the sound defects.  Those would not stop me from picking this up.

9 – Sourced from vinyl?  Reggae’s not my thing.

Overall, an amazing BFT, thank you!.  Five of the nine cuts (1,4,5,6,8) strike me as really special, with another two (2,7) very strong.  3 and 9 were the only losers for me, and I’m sure there’s others who will like them both.  Very much looking forward to the reveal, and I would like to figure out cut 4!

22 minutes ago, felser said:

BFT231

1 – I like this a lot, more than I would expect to on paper.  Would have been skeptical with no bass player, but it swings like mad.  Very talented horn men, especially the lead tenor, who I am really digging.  His date?  Can’t wait for the reveal, don’t believe I own this at all.

2 – This is also really good, and flows beautifully from the first cut, though the alto player is maybe a little too frantic for my tastes.  Rhythm section is strong!

3 – Huh?  No thanks.

4 – Yes, please!  Sure sounds like some classic 60’s BN piece, and I feel like I should be able to easily ID it, but it’s not coming to my tired brain at the moment.  Absolutely need this in my collection, but I would bet it is already there.  I could listen to this sort of thing all day every day.  Love the drummer!  Billy Higgins? 

5 – Disliked it in the beginning, felt the horns were sing-songy, but the cut really grew on me as it progressed, and now I like it quite a bit and hope I have it on the shelves somewhere.

6 – Wonderful!  Surely I know and have it?  If not, I’ll remedy that.  Group listened very carefully to the Coltrane Quartet.

7 – First thoughts are Steve Lacy with Don Cherry, though I can’t substantiate that.  It’s a good cut.

8 – Recording quality leaves something to be desired, but the music is very exciting.  Some serious clarinet playing there, and I’m all in.  John Carter and Bobby Bradford?  Nimbus West crew?  Though that’s not Tapscott on piano, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it was Nate Morgan.  Another where I’m looking forward to the reveal!  Though I fear this one may be from a private tape of some sort rather than from an official release, given the sound defects.  Those would not stop me from picking this up.

9 – Sourced from vinyl?  Reggae’s not my thing.

Overall, an amazing BFT, thank you!.  Five of the nine cuts (1,4,5,6,8) strike me as really special, with another two (2,7) very strong.  3 and 9 were the only losers for me, and I’m sure there’s others who will like them both.  Very much looking forward to the reveal, and I would like to figure out cut 4!

Glad you enjoyed most of it!

Comments on your guesses:

1 - Not the lead tenor's date. This is a track that I'll be surprised if anyone here names it - but would love it if so. And I'm glad you ended up liking it. I had trepidations that anyone would dig this. It's different but the swing quotient is definitely there. 

3 - 😆 Lol. It's definitely different. Someone listening to this is going to get it...

4 - Yes to BN 60s recording, but not Higgins. I'd be willing to bet you have this. 

5 - I also bet you have this one...

6 - I'm betting that you don't have this one, although you probably own other stuff that includes the players. They're definitely familiar with Trane & Co. 

7 - Not Cherry or Lacy. Someone's bound to guess this one I'm thinking. 

8 - Not Carter or Bradford, nor Nimbus West or Nate Morgan. Not a private tape either, but agree the recording quality ain't all there. 

9 - Indeed, sourced from vinyl and understand not digging the genre. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. There's also an unintentional "theme" to these tracks that I didn't realize until after compiling them. Nothing groundbreaking, just something I thought was interesting. 

1. Intricate and lively.  I don't hear piano or guitar, but do hear bone and tuba and sax, ruling out WSQ and Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy.  A little more inside than Julius Hemphill's larger bands.  8 Bold Souls?
2. Jackie McLean?
3. Good fusion with synth and skronky guitar.  I'll say this is from this century.  Dave Fiuczyinski?
4. Has a Blue Note feel, but I'm guessing The Cookers rather than the Jazz Messengers.
5. Live date, sounds like soprano and alto front line.  Seventies spiritual jazz vibe.  Maybe Elvin Jones?
6. Art Pepper?
7. Really impressive high range playing at the beginning, I suspected sopranino sax until the opening solo headed toward the lower part of soprano sax range.  Jane Ira Bloom?
8. This reminds me of Christian McBride's New Jawn, but they don't have a piano.  Trying to remember if their Bass Clarinet (doubling on sax I think) is the same one that did the Dolphy Bee Hive re-creation, as the Dolphy influence is clear here.  But I don't think the tune is a Bee Hive tune.
9. Reggae harmonica!  I'm way too clueless to guess but I usually try anyway.  Sly and Robbie?

4 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

1. Intricate and lively.  I don't hear piano or guitar, but do hear bone and tuba and sax, ruling out WSQ and Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy.  A little more inside than Julius Hemphill's larger bands.  8 Bold Souls?
2. Jackie McLean?
3. Good fusion with synth and skronky guitar.  I'll say this is from this century.  Dave Fiuczyinski?
4. Has a Blue Note feel, but I'm guessing The Cookers rather than the Jazz Messengers.
5. Live date, sounds like soprano and alto front line.  Seventies spiritual jazz vibe.  Maybe Elvin Jones?
6. Art Pepper?
7. Really impressive high range playing at the beginning, I suspected sopranino sax until the opening solo headed toward the lower part of soprano sax range.  Jane Ira Bloom?
8. This reminds me of Christian McBride's New Jawn, but they don't have a piano.  Trying to remember if their Bass Clarinet (doubling on sax I think) is the same one that did the Dolphy Bee Hive re-creation, as the Dolphy influence is clear here.  But I don't think the tune is a Bee Hive tune.
9. Reggae harmonica!  I'm way too clueless to guess but I usually try anyway.  Sly and Robbie?

Hey Randy, thanks for listening. Some comments with your guesses:

1 - Not 8 Bold Souls...and I actually forgot about them. I checked the personnel just to make sure - no connections. 

2 - Not McLean 

3 - Glad you enjoyed this. Yep, it's from this century but not Fiuczyinski. 

4 - Not the Cookers or the JM's but you picked up the BN vibe as well. 

5 - Yes on soprano and alto, but not Elvin. 

6 - Not Art. 

7 - Not Bloom. Definitely soprano though. Good call. 

8 - Not the Bee Hive or New Jawn. Checked the New Jawn personnel and there's no overlap. 

9 - Yes to reggae, but it's not a harmonica. Not Sly & Robbie either although the producer of this track worked with them elsewhere.   

12 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Actually I was thinking of the Five Spot re-creation, the Dolphy role was filled by Donald Harrison.  Marcus Strickland impressed on Bass Clarinet when I saw New Jawn at Big Ears.

I need to make it out to Big Ears one of these days...neither of them here on this track btw. 

22 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Actually I was thinking of the Five Spot re-creation, the Dolphy role was filled by Donald Harrison.  Marcus Strickland impressed on Bass Clarinet when I saw New Jawn at Big Ears.

This is a great album:

Terence Blanchard - Eric Dolphy & Booker Little: Remembered Live at Sweet  Basil, Vol. 1 Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic

Lousy weather here in the northeast, so got the chance to lay ears on this.  It was a rough start, but from four on, I'm diggin' it.

track 01 - They're tight, but maybe too tight.  Incredible musicianship at play here, but I'm not sure I'm convinced by it.  I really want to hear the reins come off.  Even so, there's a lot going on here and it's executed flawlessly.  At around 3:15 when it sort of opens, it actually loses a step.  I want to like this more than I do.  I'll have to settle for impressed by the musicianship.  I can explain exactly what's missing for me -- this could very well have been multi-tracked by one musician.  The precision is impressive, but the core is just not there for me.

track 02 - This is highly technical but nowhere near as well executed as the previous cut.  It's not clean enough to match what the last cut achieves, and lacks that same core that would make the looseness work.  Braxton, maybe?  Nope, as it gets going he actually manages to swing -- Braxton never seems to get to that point.  This gets better as it goes (that head is atrocious), and by 2 minute mark, I'm actually enjoying it.  The drum bass duet is interesting, but not sure if it hits.  Something Han Bennink about the drummer. Sounds like they're going for the Elvin-Steve Davis feel on Summertime, but not quite there (hey, who CAN get there!?!)  European group?

track 03 - At 1:30, and I have to ask, does this GO somewhere?  Never mind, I don't care.  #hardpass

track 04 - Wait!  What's this?  Rhythm, melody, form... this is more like it.  I guess I'm just old, because I like this a lot.  Okay, so Mobley.  Not Woody, not Lee... not Donald Byrd... not Blue Mitchell... Dizzy Reece?  Not Billy Higgins.  Drummer is snappy, but I can't get to him.  Not Curtis.  Not JJ.  Ah!  Slide!  Okay, after sleuthing (and I don't believe I have this), it's track 2 from this.  Shame on me for the drummer.

track 05 - Like it.  Not sure on the drummer... could be DeJohnette.  Wait, that's Steve Lacy.  Is that Potts?  Sounds edgier than him.  I want the guys from the first two tracks to listen to this.  Is that two basses or is one of those a cello?  I've got a ton of Lacy, but I really have to have my head there to listen.  I assume this is the Lacy 5 band, but can't swear what.  But, MAN, do these folks LISTEN!  Ah!  Live explains much.

track 06- More live!  Excellent!  Sounds like Cannonball and Art Pepper had a kid.  Maybe Andrew White?  Something about those reckless runs has me feeling good about that guess.  Drums and bass cook, pianist doesn't seem quite to their level, but still holds it together.  That could certainly be Novosel.  

track 07 - Sounds like Ed Blackwell.  That's not Cherry.  There's something immaculate about this recording.  Seems like all parts of it are perfectly balanced.  I'm not positive about Blackwell, but that's where I'm leaning.  Great bass hook.  

track 08 - A lot to unpack here.  That trumpet sounds like it has effects on it.  5/4 with a Miles' feel.  Bass clari, okay, that explains why my skin wasn't crawling at the sound of the clarinet (that's for Tim).  This has to be live, doesn't it?  Has that electric feel you only get from live music.  I saw a bass clarinet player in Montreal who played like this (Mathieu Belanger), but the rest of the band was way more tame.  This is burning throughout.  Ah, yes to live.  No idea on any of these guys, but I like this bunches.

track 09 - Needle drop into reggae... classy.  Is that a melodica lead?  No idea, but this is cool.

Thanks for the sounds!

10 hours ago, tkeith said:

track 06- More live!  Excellent!  Sounds like Cannonball and Art Pepper had a kid.  Maybe Andrew White?  Something about those reckless runs has me feeling good about that guess.  Drums and bass cook, pianist doesn't seem quite to their level, but still holds it together.  That could certainly be Novosel.  

If you're correct on White, then that would likely be Kevin Toney on piano and Keith Killgo on drums, wouldn't it?  Long way from the Blackbyrds, mentioned largely as a reminder of what those musicians were capable of.

11 hours ago, felser said:

If you're correct on White, then that would likely be Kevin Toney on piano and Keith Killgo on drums, wouldn't it?  Long way from the Blackbyrds, mentioned largely as a reminder of what those musicians were capable of.

Yes, but I wasn't quite sure enough to commit. Could certainly be Killgo, though, on a re-listen.

23 hours ago, tkeith said:

Lousy weather here in the northeast, so got the chance to lay ears on this.  It was a rough start, but from four on, I'm diggin' it.

track 01 - They're tight, but maybe too tight.  Incredible musicianship at play here, but I'm not sure I'm convinced by it.  I really want to hear the reins come off.  Even so, there's a lot going on here and it's executed flawlessly.  At around 3:15 when it sort of opens, it actually loses a step.  I want to like this more than I do.  I'll have to settle for impressed by the musicianship.  I can explain exactly what's missing for me -- this could very well have been multi-tracked by one musician.  The precision is impressive, but the core is just not there for me.

track 02 - This is highly technical but nowhere near as well executed as the previous cut.  It's not clean enough to match what the last cut achieves, and lacks that same core that would make the looseness work.  Braxton, maybe?  Nope, as it gets going he actually manages to swing -- Braxton never seems to get to that point.  This gets better as it goes (that head is atrocious), and by 2 minute mark, I'm actually enjoying it.  The drum bass duet is interesting, but not sure if it hits.  Something Han Bennink about the drummer. Sounds like they're going for the Elvin-Steve Davis feel on Summertime, but not quite there (hey, who CAN get there!?!)  European group?

track 03 - At 1:30, and I have to ask, does this GO somewhere?  Never mind, I don't care.  #hardpass

track 04 - Wait!  What's this?  Rhythm, melody, form... this is more like it.  I guess I'm just old, because I like this a lot.  Okay, so Mobley.  Not Woody, not Lee... not Donald Byrd... not Blue Mitchell... Dizzy Reece?  Not Billy Higgins.  Drummer is snappy, but I can't get to him.  Not Curtis.  Not JJ.  Ah!  Slide!  Okay, after sleuthing (and I don't believe I have this), it's track 2 from this.  Shame on me for the drummer.

track 05 - Like it.  Not sure on the drummer... could be DeJohnette.  Wait, that's Steve Lacy.  Is that Potts?  Sounds edgier than him.  I want the guys from the first two tracks to listen to this.  Is that two basses or is one of those a cello?  I've got a ton of Lacy, but I really have to have my head there to listen.  I assume this is the Lacy 5 band, but can't swear what.  But, MAN, do these folks LISTEN!  Ah!  Live explains much.

track 07 - Sounds like Ed Blackwell.  That's not Cherry.  There's something immaculate about this recording.  Seems like all parts of it are perfectly balanced.  I'm not positive about Blackwell, but that's where I'm leaning.  Great bass hook.  

track 08 - A lot to unpack here.  That trumpet sounds like it has effects on it.  5/4 with a Miles' feel.  Bass clari, okay, that explains why my skin wasn't crawling at the sound of the clarinet (that's for Tim).  This has to be live, doesn't it?  Has that electric feel you only get from live music.  I saw a bass clarinet player in Montreal who played like this (Mathieu Belanger), but the rest of the band was way more tame.  This is burning throughout.  Ah, yes to live.  No idea on any of these guys, but I like this bunches.

track 09 - Needle drop into reggae... classy.  Is that a melodica lead?  No idea, but this is cool.

Thanks for the sounds!

Cheers!

I'm up in Boston at the moment so dealing with the same weather although better today than yesterday which I think was a record low here. 

2 - Not European but I'll give you Braxton as the horn man. 

4 - Nailed it. I really like Dizzy's solo here. 

5 - Lacy 5 indeed! 

6 - Not White, and negative on the other names. And @felser its not Killgo or Toney either. 

7 - Not Blackwell, and indeed not Cherry. The answer here will surprise some folks. 

8 - Not Belanger but glad to hear some positive takes on this song. It's a burner. 

9 - Melodica, yes! The player was world famous in his day (still is, but since he passed has gone on to legend), especially in Japan. This is a deep cut from his catalog. 

Thanks for sharing thoughts as well. 

11 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

2 - Not European but I'll give you Braxton as the horn man.

I was thinking Braxton.  He can sound frantic when he plays "inside", not a strong natural sense of groove/swing.

48 minutes ago, Milestones said:

When it comes to bass clarinet it's pretty much Dolphy--and then all the rest.

Of course, David Murray is good too.   Or how about James Carter?

I'll throw in Bennie Maupin as well. I think someone had Carter on bass clarinet in a prior BFT that was well received. 

Interesting selection.

1) Beginning reminds me of Otis's "Try A Little Tenderness."  Tuba, trombone, tenor, alto, drums.  Fun arrangement.  No idea who it is (the tuba-alto combo made me think of Arthur Blythe, but it doesn't sound like him).  I like the track.  Band is very tight.  Tune has a Caribbean air.

2) I thought it was going to be "I'll Remember April", but no.  Well-played but didn't do much for me.

3) Nice ensemble work.  Is this Tim Berne?

4) Jimmy Heath?  Wayne Shorter?  Sure sounds like Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (with a less-aggressive drummer), but I can't place the cut.

5) Steve Lacy, with his French quartet?  Not my cup of tea.  Thankfully, no Irene Aebi.  I like the tenor's chops and sound.

6) Is that Joe Henderson?  Relaxed swing, with some knotty lines in the tenor solo.  Pianist starts subdued, but then revs up; sounds a little like McCoy Tyner.

7) Reminiscent of Ornette and Don Cherry.  Definitely Ed Blackwell.  Old & New Dreams?

8. Was hoping the distant sound quality would be a tip, but no.  Guessing David Murray on bass clarinet.  Lively.  Dunno who it is.

9) Augustus Pablo, king of dub ocarina!

I'll be curious as to the identity of #1.

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

Interesting selection.

1) Beginning reminds me of Otis's "Try A Little Tenderness."  Tuba, trombone, tenor, alto, drums.  Fun arrangement.  No idea who it is (the tuba-alto combo made me think of Arthur Blythe, but it doesn't sound like him).  I like the track.  Band is very tight.  Tune has a Caribbean air.

2) I thought it was going to be "I'll Remember April", but no.  Well-played but didn't do much for me.

3) Nice ensemble work.  Is this Tim Berne?

4) Jimmy Heath?  Wayne Shorter?  Sure sounds like Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (with a less-aggressive drummer), but I can't place the cut.

5) Steve Lacy, with his French quartet?  Not my cup of tea.  Thankfully, no Irene Aebi.  I like the tenor's chops and sound.

6) Is that Joe Henderson?  Relaxed swing, with some knotty lines in the tenor solo.  Pianist starts subdued, but then revs up; sounds a little like McCoy Tyner.

7) Reminiscent of Ornette and Don Cherry.  Definitely Ed Blackwell.  Old & New Dreams?

8. Was hoping the distant sound quality would be a tip, but no.  Guessing David Murray on bass clarinet.  Lively.  Dunno who it is.

9) Augustus Pablo, king of dub ocarina!

I'll be curious as to the identity of #1.

1 - I didn’t make the Otis connection but will have to listen to these songs back to back now. It’s not Blythe but glad you dug this. 

3 - Yes! Tim Berne it is but it’s not his leader date. You’ve given this track the only compliment so far. 

4 - Thom nailed this one. It’s from Hank Mobley’s The Flip

5 - Yep, Steve Lacy 5! 

6 - Not Joe or McCoy. Knotty is a good description. 

7 - Another guess for Blackwell but it’s not him. The answer here will surprise I’m thinking 

8 - Ehrlich was just guessed correctly above on bass clarinet. Not his date though.

9 - Augustus Pablo it is! 

Nice work and I enjoyed reading your impressions of these songs. I’m not expecting many to be familiar with the band behind the first track but I like that the reception has been mostly positive. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I’m not expecting many to be familiar with the band behind the first track but I like that the reception has been mostly positive. 

What impressed me about the track is that (imho) the overall impression is "out", yet they achieve this strictly within "in" forms.  The band had to be very well rehearsed.

20 minutes ago, mjzee said:

What impressed me about the track is that (imho) the overall impression is "out", yet they achieve this strictly within "in" forms.  The band had to be very well rehearsed.

Agreed. I picked up what I thought were a few influences that included Blythe and perhaps some from the Emarcy Mulligan bands.