Peter Nero RIP

Teasing the Korean

Dude had serious chops. I've had  thoughts about doing a chart on Sunday in NY, but hearing someone like Mel Torme corn it up just stops me from going over the line. The bridge is pretty weak, too.

I did one on a tune in the same groove by John Williams, because there wasn't a weak note in it, but SINY just doesn't call out to me enough.

Nero must have done something good with those chops, in a jazz vein. He was admired by Horowitz, Ray Charles, etc... RIP...

8 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Paywall ...

But anyway ... Some recommended JAZZ listening here:

https://www.discogs.com/de/release/4131168-Bernie-Nerow-Trio-Bernie-Nerow-Trio

One of the few Mode originals I have in my stash of Mode LPs.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

10 hours ago, sgcim said:

Nero must have done something good with those chops, in a jazz vein. He was admired by Horowitz, Ray Charles, etc... RIP...

It was an interesting time when jazz, pop, classical, and showbiz were all intertwined. Peter Nero was part of that phenomenon, as were, to varying degrees, Liberace, Oscar Levant, Errol Garner, Dave Brubeck, and Oscar Peterson.  It was probably a holdover from the Vaudeville ethos.  The socio-cultural factors that enabled this no longer exist.  Setting aside my own thoughts on Nero's playing, I acknowledge him as being a part of this vanished world.  

Shifting gears, which John Williams tune did you arrange?  I like a lot of Williams's 1960s stuff, but I check out at Star Wars.

6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

It was an interesting time when jazz, pop, classical, and showbiz were all intertwined. Peter Nero was part of that phenomenon, as were, to varying degrees, Liberace, Oscar Levant, Errol Garner, Dave Brubeck, and Oscar Peterson. 

Don't forget Andre Previn.