Sonny Rollins East Broadway Rundown - Distortion on CD?

Teasing the Korean

On 9/14/2023 at 11:42 PM, JSngry said:

It's not a Milestone. Never was. But it is a really good one, especially the LP version. The best/most full document of the David Lee band which was mighty indeed. And seeing them is even better. You can see what Sonny is getting from them in terms of momentum and how he gives it back. That's not always apparent from just the audio, it's a very physical thing. 

Oh, that's interesting. I just assumed there was a US pressing of that album but I guess not. Great LP indeed.

This video footage is super.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/14/2023 at 11:21 AM, JSngry said:

"Frustration" about people like Sonny, Art Pepper, Miles, etc.srems to be rooted in the players not doing what we think they should be doing. I tend more towards trying to understand why they are doing it and going from there.

I really dig this perspective...

Reminds me of Anthony Braxton's "friendly experiencers" concept, a compassionate and adventurous audience...

On 9/15/2023 at 3:20 PM, JSngry said:

Absolutely. That first issue was a disgrace. 

As were so many early CD releases.  The distance CD release quality came in every aspect (sonics, bonus cuts, liner notes, packaging)  from the 80's to the late 90's was stunning and gratifying.

11 minutes ago, felser said:

As were so many early CD releases.  The distance CD release quality came in every aspect (sonics, bonus cuts, liner notes, packaging)  from the 80's to the late 90's was stunning and gratifying.

Some people, myself including, would disagree regarding some 80's CDs: 

Regarding Sonny's "East Broadway Run Down", I agree with Allen - I think Sonny sounds really contrived on this album. I also don't like Garrison's playing, so my main enjoyment here is Hubbard (whom I don't normally like) and Elvin (who is just great here).

Looking forward to Jim's Milestone Sonny exoneration arguments. I tried repeatedly and found them sort of trivial (compared to Sonny's earlier work), there was a lot of much more interesting music around at the same time, IMHO.    

18 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Some people, myself including, would disagree regarding some 80's CDs: 

Looking forward to Jim's Milestone Sonny exoneration arguments. I tried repeatedly and found them sort of trivial (compared to Sonny's earlier work), there was a lot of much more interesting music around at the same time, IMHO.    

Sorry, but no "exoneration" will be forthcoming. When there is a dog, or a mildly inspired effort, it will be identified as such. There will be plenty of that. 

Fair warning, though - if I like something, I will say that too. 

As far as "trivial", there are items in his earlier work that are also trivial, imo, items where he's playing his own licks because nothing else seems to have come to mind.

But then as now, they're only records.

His first Milestone, 'Next Album', was quite hailed when it first appeared, and I found 'Horn Culture' , 'The Cutting Edge' , and 'Don't Stop The Carnival' interesting in their own ways.  But the only other one I bothered to keep besides those three (and my favorite of the bunch) is 'G-Man'.