I've Finally Had Poutine!!!

JSngry

1. I had it in Windsor. Does that count as real? Or is that tourist poutine? 

2. It was served with a little side of ketchup. Our server said that a lot of people like that. Was she bullshitting me, was this some kind of hazing ritual, or what?

3. After initially having been repulsed by the ketchup thing, I began to liberalize my mind about it, tried it, and actually liked it. A lot. Was this a sin, did Satan actually come into my body through my ketchuped poutine?

I experienced internal bodily pleasure in a foreign country. Now I am unsure of my moral standing in the great race of life. I need the guidance of some serious moral adults. 

Serious replies only, please. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

But did they offer vinegar?  (To be honest I'm not sure it goes with poutine but you get it with french fries in Canada.) 

Salt and vinegar on fries / chips is pretty common over here, too. So common that it was the first ever flavour developed for commercially available crisps / chips (created in Ireland, where it is also common).

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

1. I had it in Windsor. Does that count as real? Or is that tourist poutine? 

2. It was served with a little side of ketchup. Our server said that a lot of people like that. Was she bullshitting me, was this some kind of hazing ritual, or what?

3. After initially having been repulsed by the ketchup thing, I began to liberalize my mind about it, tried it, and actually liked it. A lot. Was this a sin, did Satan actually come into my body through my ketchuped poutine?

I experienced internal bodily pleasure in a foreign country. Now I am unsure of my moral standing in the great race of life. I need the guidance of some serious moral adults. 

Serious replies only, please. 

I'm no Canadian but I am duty bound to ask whether or not it was poutine made with "real curds" and then to cluck under my breath, deeply unimpressed, whatever your answer might be.

Real Kurds? WTF?

Malt vinegar with chips is obligatory here, and years ago a friend from New Hampshire introduced be to the delights of fries with tartar sauce. Much better with fries than with fried fish, imo.

Vinegar was not offered, but my instinct would have been to embrace it in the brown gravy more readily than the ketchup. But the ketchup worked, so adding on the vinegar is something I would have done, absolutely. 

The one time I had poutine, it was definitely genuine. Way up the St. Lawrence in Quebec, somewhat Northeast of Tadoussac.

If the ketchup was served as a side, I wouldn't doubt legitimacy. That way leaves the ketchup decision up to you.

My experience (somewhat faded by the fact that I was slightly loaded on super-strong Trappist style beer )was that poutine is really heavy, and I had difficulty finishing the (large) plate. Vinegar and/or (possibly) ketchup would have made it go down easier, actually. I think I went for some mayo, which I enjoy on frites, but I just didn't love the cheese curds.

I subsequently visited Montreal a bunch of times but never again ordered poutine.

Edited by T.D.

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So doubling down on the potatoes... Not particularly a spuds guy myself...what was your gravy, did it have a twist? 

Well, that's one way, but the pierogies don't have to be potato ones.
This was over 50 years ago, so it's a bit hazy, but the gravy was probably
some brown sauce slop. I'm sure Windsor was a place where I had it too
considering my grandparents ran a restaurant/bar in Windsor.

I never understood the idea of "correctness" when it comes to these things
(except the idea of them being correctly cooked, of course) - mainly because
in the province just next door to where you were - where the idea came from,
there are variations that people can't agree on there either. It's like the
whole thing about what's "correct" when it comes to pizza toppings.
I'm sure someone will be horrified at the idea of my using paneer,
frozen pierogies and gravy in vegetable stock, but so what.

Also, it's definitely something you don't want if you're concerned
about your health. That's why stuff like that has long been out of my life.
I'd probably puke if it was put in front of me today.

I am 67, on the way to 68, and have realized that there's only so much that is within my control. Diet is very much a thing where I no longer want to be stupid on a regular basis, but neither will I avoid stoopid fun altogether. I'm not going to live forever, and from the looks of things, I'm more than ok with that!

My wife and daughter had pizza at the same Windsor place and loved it. I shared a slice and did too!

The real revelation of the trip was the candy selection at WalMart. Canada has a few different candy options than we do here, and...whoa, good options they are indeed! 

37 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Mayo on frites is a big Euro thing, I think especially in Netherlands/Belgium. I like it! Also vinegar.

It stands to reason that if tartar sauce works, mayo should too! 

My daughter knew what to look for, went straight for it!. And she continues to be amused at the red/yellow pricing signs all over the Wal-Mart, instead of the drab black-white we have here  I wonder why that is.

Oh yeah, I got bacon on my poutine, but only after confirming with our totally delightful server that it was real bacon and not Canadian Bacon. I asked the question a little slyly to see if she would get the joke, and she did, laughing and also dropping science about the word "peameal". She added to her tip with that little gem! 

3 hours ago, rostasi said:

Because we were Canadian and Ukrainian,
pierogi poutine was served at our house.

Never had pierogi poutine, but when I was in downtown Buffalo for a Sabres game I had pierogi nachos.  I may have mentioned that I find Buffalo to be the most Canadian place I've ever been in the States.  And that when I was a kid in SK we didn't have proper poutine, just fries with vinegar and gravy.  Vinegar I'm good with, gravy no thanks.