Gil Evans - Svengali and Mingus Moves in quad being released

mjzee

LOL!  I saw Evans twice.  Once at the Public Theatre, NYC, opening for Ornette & Prime Time (iirc, it was around the time Body Meta came out, so late '70's?); the other was opening for solo Keith Jarrett at Avery Fisher (either JVC or Kool Jazz Festival), probably mid-'80's.  That was a time.

I saw Gil Evans just the once - it was with his 'British' orchestra, at Ronnie Scotts. Was sat not too far away from his electric piano. As I recall it, the US musicians brought in included Miles Evans and Lew Soloff. Might have been Billy Harper too but not sure. UK musicians I recall included Ian Carr, Chris Hunter, Don Weller, Ray Russell, Frank Ricotti and John Surman. I think John Marshall might have been on drums. 1983 I think.

They played several numbers from the Hendrix album as I recall it.

Edited by sidewinder

Racking my brains, I think it was the late Mo Foster on bass guitar at the Scott's appearance. I recall that he was often called up by Evans, along with Ray Russell, for these late era European gigs.

I suspect Gil might have been working on/recording 'Absolute Beginners' around that time.

The other thing I remember about seeing Evans is the kaftan and bandana. Anything but the suited guy on those Impulse sleeves !

Edited by sidewinder

16 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I saw Gil Evans just the once - it was with his 'British' orchestra, at Ronnie Scotts. Was sat not too far away from his electric piano. As I recall it, the US musicians brought in included Miles Evans and Lew Soloff. Might have been Billy Harper too but not sure. UK musicians I recall included Ian Carr, Chris Hunter, Don Weller, Ray Russell, Frank Ricotti and John Surman. I think John Marshall might have been on drums. 1983 I think.

They played several numbers from the Hendrix album as I recall it.

Whatever happened to Chris Hunter?

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Whatever happened to Chris Hunter?

No idea. It was the first and only time I saw him, I think. At that stage he was already resident in the USA I believe.

Still racking my brains on that gig, Hannibal Marvin Peterson might have been featured trumpet soloist. Around that time he recorded with Don Weller.

Got it from Rhino and really had fun listening to it a couple of times.  I only have surround speakers in back with large floor speakers and subwoofer in front, so I think it would be even better if you had four equally sized (large)  speakers. Fortunately, with the exception of one Howard Johnson tuba solo, most low sounding  instruments were in the front speakers .

You generally feel as if you're in the middle of the musicians facing the   the rhythm section  with the soloists behind you.  (Maybe I should have turned around. ) 

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, hbbfam said:

Regarding Mingus Moves, I have the 2005 version on CD.  I can play SACD, but do not do surround (quad).  Is this enough of a sonic upgrade to get the new BR?

You need a BluRay player to play it in stereo.  I don't think it's that much of a sonic upgrade but my ears are shot.

2 minutes ago, medjuck said:

You need a BluRay player to play it in stereo.  I don't think it's that much of a sonic upgrade but my ears are shot.

I have a BR player.  I just listened to my original.  I think I will pass.  I thank you for the insight.