Gil Evans - Svengali and Mingus Moves in quad being released

mjzee

1 hour ago, AllenLowe said:

actually we don't say Quadrophonic any more. It's now "Sys Audio x 4". It's for listeners seeking a safe space, away from Jazz Sonic Micro Aggression.

Yes, wouldn't want to bruise or offend their precious little audio psyches.

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

How is quad different from surround? 

Dub,

It's just a question of the number of speakers that the recording is intended -- recorded & mixed -- to support.

A 5.1 surround recording is made for two front speakers, two rear speakers, one center-channel speaker, and a sub-woofer -- as shown below:

10.png

Usually, in 5.1 set ups, the rear speakers are smaller than the front speakers, and the center-channel speaker is purpose-built specifically to support movie dialogue.  (There are purely musical recordings that use 5.1 surround.  But I think the format really took off with the advent of home theaters and watching movies at home.  OTOH, Quadraphonic was/is for music only.)

Quadraphonic recordings are intended for two front speaker and two rear speakers.  Unlike 5.1 systems, (I think) most folks used the same four speakers for Quad set-ups.  Back in the 1970s when Quad LPs were introduced, you needed to purchase an amplifier that supported Quad LPs plus two "extra" speakers.  Most folks assume that those extra costs are what caused the format to fail.  Others objected to the format because it's not necessarily an accurate portrayal of how we hear music in "real life"; it's as if you happen to be sitting among the people making the music.  Sound is coming at you from every direction.  If you want a "realistic" concert hall-type reproduction, then Quad is not for you.  So music-audio purists disliked Quad, just like they (usually) dislike surround set-ups.

My assumption is that most listeners who buy a Quad recording today will be listening to them on their surround systems.  If you've only got a two-speaker/traditional stereo set-up (like most music listeners, as opposed to movie watchers), then it wouldn't make any sense to buy a Quad recording.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:09 AM, mikeweil said:

... or quadrophonic and audio.

Good point!  Hadn't thought of that.  ;)

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Dub,

It's just a question of the number of speakers that the recording is intended -- recorded & mixed -- to support.

A 5.1 surround recording is made for two front speakers, two rear speakers, one center-channel speaker, and a sub-woofer -- as shown below:

10.png

Usually, in 5.1 set ups, the rear speakers are smaller than the front speakers, and the center-channel speaker is purpose-built specifically to support movie dialogue.  (There are purely musical recordings that use 5.1 surround.  But I think the format really took off with the advent of home theaters and watching movies at home.  OTOH, Quadraphonic was/is for music only.)

Quadraphonic recordings are intended for two front speaker and two rear speakers.  Unlike 5.1 systems, (I think) most folks used the same four speakers for Quad set-ups.  Back in the 1970s when Quad LPs were introduced, you needed to purchase an amplifier that supported Quad LPs plus two "extra" speakers.  Most folks assume that those extra costs are what caused the format to fail.  Others objected to the format because it's not necessarily an accurate portrayal of how we hear music in "real life"; it's as if you happen to be sitting among the people making the music.  Sound is coming at you from every direction.  If you want a "realistic" concert hall-type reproduction, then Quad is not for you.  So music-audio purists disliked Quad, just like they (usually) dislike surround set-ups.

My assumption is that most listeners who buy a Quad recording today will be listening to them on their surround systems.  If you've only got a two-speaker/traditional stereo set-up (like most music listeners, as opposed to movie watchers), then it wouldn't make any sense to buy a Quad recording.

Good point!  Hadn't thought of that.  ;)

Interesting. Thanks 👍

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Most folks assume that those extra costs are what caused the format to fail.

There was that, and also there were format wars - much like VHS and Beta, there were incompatible formats marketed from different labels.

Quadraphonic records were only marketed for a short time (1974-75).  The interesting thing about these Warner releases is they're using the original quad mixes, so presumably the quad Mingus Moves is the mix Mingus approved.

IIRC the SACD of KOB had an interesting 4 track  setting that did put you into the middle of the recording session.  Since I no longer have a SACD player I can't check it. (Anyone want my copy gratis. ) What I don't remember is how you chose between stereo or 4 track.  Did the SACD player have 4 track setting?

Also I hope this will lead to a quad release of the Gil Evans record that was quadrophonic   (Svengali?).

• 2 months later...
  • mjzee changed the title to Gil Evans - Svengali and Mingus Moves in quad being released

Are they also bringing back Sanyo 'music centres' tinny quad speakers and four-track players to get that authentic 1974 vibe?  Wouldn't surprise me, based on some of the crap peddled at the moment.

Next up - kipper ties, loud checquered jackets and flares, multicoloured platform pimp shoes..

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Thanks so much.  It's still not on Amazon so I'm probably paying a premium  by buying it from Rhino ($7.99 shipping!) but at my age I'd better not put anything off.  Hope it reminds me of the time I saw the band at Sweet Basil and the stand was so full that Hiram Bullock sat at our table while he played.