Trevor Watts & Jamie Harris in the Hudson Valley! 10/29/2023

It gives me great pleasure to announce the next installment of "So, What Do You Think?" at Tubby's in Kingston with the saxophone-percussion duo of Trevor Watts and Jamie Harris and the baritone guitar-psalter duo of Chris Turco and Jeff Mercel. Wow -- just typing that out blew my mind!

The series itself takes its name from a 1971 LP by the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, a British group founded in 1965 by drummer John Stevens, saxophonist Trevor Watts, and trombonist Paul Rutherford. 59 years later, Watts is the only surviving original member and a massive figure in UK experimental music and beyond. His other bands have included Amalgam (free jazz, jazz-rock), Moiré Music (layered, minimalist Afro-jazz), the Trevor Watts String Ensemble, JaMeTre (groove-based improv with guitarist Mark Hewins and conguero Jamie Harris), and many more. It's hard to convey just how special this rare Hudson Valley appearance will be, so mark your calendars and prepare to buy tix in advance. 

Trevor will be playing duo with the British percussionist Jamie Harris (congas, cymbals, etc.) and warming up the stage will be local heroes Chris Turco (Ultraam, Throne Down, Rider/Horse) and Jeff Mercel (Mercury Rev, Ultraam). I'll be hyping this one a lot as you will not have another chance to see a bill like this in upstate New York... or anywhere else for that matter. Really. 

When? October 29, 2023
Where? Tubby's in Kingston, New York
How much? $20 at the door or $17 in advance -- remember, all money goes to the musicians!

Thanks, Clifford 

I will try to be there. Seeing Trevor at Jazz Gallery with Jamie Harris on November 18th. Care of the Robert D. Bielecki Foundation. For all locals please try to attend one or both of these shows if at all possible. Trevor deserves this. Still playing brilliantly from what I’ve heard on recent recordings. Like many of us, I’ve never had the opportunity to see him play live. Legend.

Saw Trevor Watts with Jamie Harris and Veryan Weston (keyboards) a couple of years ago at Swanage. Hardly anyone in the audience but it was really great, superb interplay and Watts very much on form. I have some photos taken at the gig somewhere.

Must get hold of his 'Jazz In Britain' CDs with Liam Genockey.

Edited by sidewinder

Fantastic. Will make every effort to attend this (though I'm not a bar person and it makes for a late night). Big fan of Watts in various configurations.

Planning on going to the Lace Mill event Sunday...apologies for OT info, but it should be of interest.

376410868_10232936386251017_433167121966

Edited by T.D.

On 10/6/2023 at 4:35 PM, T.D. said:

Fantastic. Will make every effort to attend this (though I'm not a bar person and it makes for a late night). Big fan of Watts in various configurations.

Should be done by 10! And the music room is separate from the bar area. Tubby's only opens on Sundays for performances so there won't be any spillover crowd.