GA Russell

113792.png?1697064369176104844.png?1697064369176
cover-4c00ff96d8114ba4846184bc6981627e-half.jpg

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Hollywood Bowl

Format(s): Classic Hits, Jazz, Non-Commercial, NPR, Triple A

# Artist and Track Title Time    

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Killing Floor (Live) (Radio Edit) 03:44    
  2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Live) (Radio Edit) 01:41    

JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE: HOLLYWOOD BOWL AUGUST 18, 1967

ALBUM COMING NOVEMBER 10 ON

EXPERIENCE HENDRIX/LEGACY RECORDINGS

HISTORIC LIVE SET MARKS THE MOMENT BEFORE HENDRIX ACHIEVED INT’L FAME; RECORDING HAS NEVER BEEN OFFICIALLY RELEASED OR BOOTLEGGED

“KILLING FLOOR” AND “SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND”

On November 10, Experience Hendrix, L.L.C. in partnership with Legacy Recordings will be releasing Jimi Hendrix Experience: Hollywood Bowl August 18, 1967 on vinyl, CD and all digital platforms. This live concert performance, captured just five days before the US release of Are You Experienced, their album debut, is notable for being one of the last times the band performed in front of an audience as relative unknowns. Finally, the set can be enjoyed by the rest of the world for the first time ever; amazingly, not a single second of this unique, two-track live recording has ever been released before in any capacity, either via official channels or elsewise.

In advance of the November 10 release of Jimi Hendrix Experience: Hollywood Bowl August 18, 1967, the band’s versions of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Killing Floor” and The Beatles “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” has been made available for download and airplay.

During their set, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Jimi Hendrix, Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding) blazed through originals such as “Purple Haze,” “The Wind Cries Mary,” and yet-to-be-released classics “Foxey Lady” and “Fire,” as well as their own re-imagining of favorites Bob Dylan (“Like a Rolling Stone”), The Troggs (“Wild Thing”) and Muddy Waters (“Catfish Blues”). Having already conquered the band’s UK base as well as Continental Europe over the previous ten months, the vast majority of the 17,000 plus Los Angeles concert goers were there to see headliners The Mamas & The Papas and were caught off guard by Jimi Hendrix’s electrifying musicality and showmanship.

Michelle Phillips, the only surviving member of The Mamas & The Papas, first saw the Experience perform at the Monterey Pop Festival. “We had never heard of him,” she remembers. “I had absolutely no idea what to expect. And when I saw him perform, I was mortified. I had never seen anything like this, I'd never seen anybody treat their instruments like this. He was pouring lighter fluid over his guitar and then setting it on fire and – I really was shocked. I had no experience with this kind of rock and roll theatre. And that was the first time I had ever seen it.” Backstage at the Hollywood Bowl weeks later, Phillips was won over by Jimi Hendrix. “I absolutely loved him,” recalls Phillips in the liner notes for Hollywood Bowl August 18, 1967, penned by Jeff Slate. “He was a gentleman, he was lovely, he was funny.” She softened her view of “rock and roll theatre,” which was somewhat antithetical to the more stayed and pitch-perfect folk tradition from which her group emerged. This very concert wound up being The Mamas & The Papas’ last, while the Experience’s star was rising; they would return to the Bowl the following year as headliners. Phillips remembers, “In a couple of days or months, Jimi Hendrix was the hottest thing happening.”

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Hollywood Bowl August 18, 1967

1. Introduction
  2. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
  3. Killing Floor
  4. The Wind Cries Mary
  5. Foxey Lady
  6. Catfish Blues
  7. Fire
  8. Like a Rolling Stone
  9. Purple Haze
  10. Wild Thing

Jimi Hendrix: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Mitch Mitchel: Drums
Noel Redding: Bass, Backing Vocals

Produced By Janie Hendrix, Eddie Kramer, & John McDermott for Experience Hendrix, L.L.C.

For More Information, Please Go To:

www.jimihendrix.com
www.daggerrecords.com
www.truetonegroup.com/jimihendrix

Edited by GA Russell

I am not a fan of the Experience Hendrix's mastering choices for their releases these past 20 years or so. Every one I've heard has been very fatiguing and not very enjoyable for any length of time. Even their LP releases are compressed too much for my ears. I used to be able to get by it but not anymore.

46 minutes ago, bresna said:

I am not a fan of the Experience Hendrix's mastering choices for their releases these past 20 years or so. Every one I've heard has been very fatiguing and not very enjoyable for any length of time. Even their LP releases are compressed too much for my ears. I used to be able to get by it but not anymore.

Totally agree with you. The old pressings of the official albums are better IMHO.