Groucho Marx anecdotes, sayings

Here's one. . . . Love the stories of Vaudville days:

Once we were on the bill with Fanny Brice. I'm sure a lot of you remember Fanny Brice. She was quite a performer, and on the bill, too, was an act called Swayne's Rats and Cats, and you wouldn't believe that, but that was the name of the act. And they had a miniature race track on the stage, and the rats were dressed as jockeys and the cats were horses. It was an incredible act, imagine teaching these...these rats and cats to learn all this, and they wore the uniforms, too.

And one day while they were doing the act, there was a scream came from Fanny's dressingroom, and Swayne ran in there. And he had a turkish towel with him, I don't know what he gonna... Fanny Brice was standing on a chair, frightened a bit, got her clothes a-way up. Swayne grabs this rat - it wasn't one of the rats from his act. This was a sewer rat that had gotten into the theater. Swayne captures this sewer rat, and the next year we played on the bill with Swayne again, and this rat was now the star of the show.

Another:

One day while Groucho Marx was working in his garden (dressed in well-worn gardening attire), a wealthy woman pulled up in a Cadillac and endeavored to persuade the "gardener" to come and work for her. "How much does the lady of the house pay you?" she asked.

"Oh, I don't get paid in dollars." Groucho replied, glancing up. "The lady of the house just a lets me sleep with her."

In his capacity as a comedian on "You Bet Your Life" Groucho Marx interviewed many of the show's participants. He once met a certain Mrs. Story, who claimed to have given birth to twenty-two children.

"I love my husband." Mrs. Story said by way of explanation.

"I like my cigar, too," Groucho replied, "but I take it out once in a while!"

Always loved this pun from Duck Soup:

Margaret Dumont: What's that music?

Groucho: Sounds like mice.

MD: Mice?!? Mice don't play music!

Groucho: Oh? How 'bout the old mice-tro?

Or this from Cocoanuts:

Groucho: Now over here's the levee.

Chico: That'sa da Jewish neighborhood.

Groucho: Well, we'll pass over that.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas...

How he got into my pajamas, I'll never know.

We tried to remove the tusks, but they were too firmly embedded.

Of course, in Alabama, the Tuskaloosa.

Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.

...and one for our aesthetics discussions:

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.

If you don't like it you can leave in a huff....and if that's too quick for you, you can leave in a minute and a huff.

D'you realize you haven't stopped talking since I got here? You must've been vaccinated with a phonograph needle!

MD: Good heavens! You can't go with your trousers up.

Groucho: They'll never catch them any other way.

"And I've been saying since I first commenced it, I'm against it!" (Though taken from a picture, it seems like that was more autobiographical than anything else)

I haven't seen a Marx Brothers movie in years, but the one scene that stands out fondly in my memory is the one with Groucho, and if I remember right, Chico, arguing over a contract and finally discussing the sanity clause...wish I could remember it well enough to post it, but I'm sure I'd screw it up.

Groucho - "and then I bagged six tigers"

Mrs Rittenhouse - "Oh captain! Did you really catch six tigers?"

Groucho - "I bagged em! I bagged em to go away but they hung around all afternoon. They were the most PERSISTENT tigers I've EVER seen."

I haven't seen a Marx Brothers movie in years, but the one scene that stands out fondly in my memory is the one with Groucho, and if I remember right, Chico, arguing over a contract and finally discussing the sanity clause...wish I could remember it well enough to post it, but I'm sure I'd screw it up.

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, comrade Moose!!! Should it ever appear again on DVD, you must come to my dacha for a viewing!!!

Chico: Ohh ho ho you no fool me; there is-a no Sanity Clause.

Don't worry, you screwed it up just fine, anyway! :P

Remember men, we're fighting for this woman's honor; which is probably more than she ever did.

Ice Water? Get some Onions - that'll make your eyes water!

Women should be obscene and not heard.

Think I used the last two on that other jazz board....

Edited by BERIGAN