Evangelista/Hawkins/Aoki/Zerang Live in Chicago (Oct. 21-22)

ep1str0phy

Hello, all-

I'm very excited to announce two special live dates in Chicago, scheduled for Saturday, October 21 and Sunday, October 22 at Elastic Arts.

These dates feature my What Else is There? project, featuring our friend Alexander Hawkins and bassist Tatsu Aoki. Our drummer Michael Zerang features on October 21, and October 22 features Charles Rumback, Mai Sugimoto, and Jeff Chan (in place of Zerang). 

We'll be celebrating the release of a brand new album on Fundacja Słuchaj, featuring Hawkins, Aoki, and Zerang. When this ensemble first convened, conversation turned to music and family. Pondering this notion, Aoki asked, "What else is there?" - hence the title. The record is an arresting blend of free jazz and free improvisation, melding my original compositions with some choice Asian American and Chicago jazz inflections. 

More Info: 

Night 1

Night 2

Thanks, all!

https://www.karlevangelista.com

13 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Sorry I can't make it.  I managed to catch Aoki a few times around town when I was living in Chicago.  One time he had a concert with taiko drummers involved. 

And I think I saw him once with Fred Anderson, but I wouldn't bet my life on it...

I saw him with Fred on a number of occasions. He also taught at SAIC (film department I believe), where I was doing graduate school. Excellent musician and a nice man.

Thanks for the kind words, all! 

My opinion is obviously very skewed, but Tatsu's work with Fred is across-the-board stellar. I'm partial to On the Run (a trio with Hamid Drake), and there's a live quartet date which is extraordinary - it's sort of an alternate-universe version of the Die Like A Dog band, with Toshinori Kondo included: https://fperecs.bandcamp.com/album/live-volume-v

Finally: for those afar, it's looking like the Saturday show may stream - regardless, here's the link: