Jazz in Paradiso (Sun Ra and more to come)

Pim

8dfce2a3-34cc-6dc3-ad39-92fa848f0662.jpg

Sun Ra in Paradiso

We are particularly proud of the album that we will launch on November 23: the first album in the new Jazz in Paradiso series. In this record series we document important jazz concerts that saxophonist and tireless jazz promoter Hans Dulfer organized in the 'Cosmic Relaxation Center' Paradiso from 1968 onwards. At these progressive happenings, an entire generation of concertgoers were introduced to jazz for the first time, never to be let go of it again.

It is now high time to listen to the sounds of the past with fresh ears, also for younger generations.

Space is the place! That body piece - in a historically early version without lyrics - opens the album Paradiso Amsterdam 1970, on which you can hear how the Netherlands first became acquainted with Afrofuturism. A pivotal moment in the Dutch jazz experience.

It was always thought that the recordings of the long-awaited very first concert that Sun Ra Arkestra ever gave in the Netherlands could not be used for an album release.

After all, the entire Arkestra marched through the massive crowd in Paradiso on November 18, 1970. According to tradition, they barely stood on the stage where the microphones were neatly arranged.

However, the Dutch Jazz Archive traced the complete series of NOS recording tapes and put together a full-fledged album on which the atmosphere of 53 years ago is immediately palpable and that sounds like clockwork.

We are releasing the album on vinyl and CD, with many photos by Paul van Riel, documents and extensive liner notes by Saturnite Rudie Kagie. The publication is a collaboration with Sun Ra LLC, the organization that represents Sun Ra's rights worldwide.

The album will be launched in the basement hall of Paradiso on Thursday, November 23. Starts at 6:30 PM.

The LP version and CD version of the album can already be ordered from us. NJA-Jazz Friends receive a discount.

made the translation in Google Translate guys so sorry for any mistakes.

Cool!  This will be fun to hear.  :tup 

I think we're lucky that so many archival recordings from Europe are being made available; for example, the NDR series, the OTRF stuff, the recordings from Onkel Pös Carnegie Hall, and now this Dutch Jazz in Paradiso series.  There are examples of archival releases from the U.S. -- like the Left Bank Jazz Society, the Penthouse, or the Keystone Korner -- but it seems like there's SO MUCH more from European sources.  I suppose this is because these recordings were often made for radio broadcast in Europe.  In any case, I'm glad that these sorts of thing are being released. 

Edited by HutchFan

12 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The Dutch archives were the source for the wonderful Mobley recording among many others but that series seems at a standstill and I wonder if they are moving onto this series or will there ever be another of the more straightahead bands.

I looked a bit for jazz concerts at Paradiso in 1968-70 in the old newspapers...  Hans Dulfer's own music may not be your favorite, but if you look at the bands he got to play at the Paradiso you'll have to admit that any jazz fan should have found something in there... it's not all free jazz. I have no clue whatsoever what was recorded but the list of names I came up with is this: Phil Woods, Dexter Gordon (some released but not all I think), Ben Webster, Hal Singer, J.R. Monterose (one gig released but there were several more), Philly Joe Jones, Lucky Thompson, Clifford Jordan (more than once), Mal Waldron, Charles Tolliver (more than once), Rene Thomas (w JR Monterose), Harold Land / Bobby Hutcherson, Frank Wright, Noah Howard, Junior Cook, Freddie Hubbard, Paul Bley, Sun Ra, Corea/Braxton/Holland/Altschul ... and more, plus many Dutch / European groups

Edited by Niko

added some more names... I'm hoping for JR Monterose, there was a quartet with Wim Overgaauw that was supposedly really good w Overgaauw channelling Sonny Sherrock... or a duet w Han Bennink... there was also a Ben Webster concert with great solo work by Bennink the paper said... 

As a side note, many of those legendary sites in jazz history look like nothing special at best if you're unaware of their historical significance (first one to come to mind is the Bohemia Jazz Club here in Amsterdam which is nowadays a hair salon). But the Paradiso is actually quite an impressive and sturdy building

1280px-RM6400_Amsterdam_-_Weteringschans

On 11/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, Niko said:

As a side note, many of those legendary sites in jazz history look like nothing special at best if you're unaware of their historical significance (first one to come to mind is the Bohemia Jazz Club here in Amsterdam which is nowadays a hair salon). But the Paradiso is actually quite an impressive and sturdy building

1280px-RM6400_Amsterdam_-_Weteringschans

Yeah the old Bimhuis was also a building like that, though according to my parents the atmosphere was fantastic and very intimate:

Het Bimhuis bestaat 45 jaar, en viert feest - Jazzism

I like the new one which of course is very modern but it fits pretty good in the 'IJ' skyline:

The BIMHUIS in Amsterdam – Jazz in Europe

On 11/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, Niko said:

IClifford Jordan (more than once), Mal Waldron, Charles Tolliver (more than once)), Harold Land / Bobby Hutcherson, Frank Wright, Noah Howard, Junior Cook, Freddie Hubbard, Corea/Braxton/Holland/Altschul 

I'd buy any of these in a heartbeat. Looking foward to any upcoming releases!

I am driving down that skyline several times per week right now (the problem of finding daycare in Amsterdam...), it's beautiful and the Bimhuis looks beautiful right in it's middle... But the photos from inside the old Bimhuis also give the impression of a nice location indeed... And yes, depending on what was recorded this could become an incredible reissue series

Regarding Waldron, there was apparently a trio gig but also one where the limited information suggested Tolliver/Jordan/Waldron in the same band... Which is hard to beat on paper.

Edited by Niko

• 4 months later...

to add a few things: first, it's coming out on March 29. second, here is a combined list of performers... for the last three tracks, the lineup is found on Noal Cohen's site. For the 1969 gig, that leaves Ruud Jacobs (b), Han Bennink (dr), Steve Boston (cga) and possibly again Slinger on piano... 

Date: June 3, 1970
Label: [radio broadcast]
Clifford Jordan live in Amsterdam

Clifford Jordan (ldr), Clifford Jordan (ts), Cees Slinger (p), Jaques Schols (b), Martin van Duynhoven (d)

a.   Girl, You Got a Home(Cecil Payne) - 11:06
b.   The Girl from Ipanema(Antonio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius DeMoraes, Norman Gimbel) - 11:32
c.  

I Can't Get Started(Vernon Duke, Ira Gershwin) - 7:36

Not certain on this particular one but intrigued by the potential series. There was a Dex at the Paradiso LP (I think two actually) many years ago. Will that be a reissue or anything new? Is there any chance Mobley gigged there? Too much to ask probably.

NJA has done some reissues (like Herman Schonderwalt's The Winner) but I somehow doubt the Dex which is relatively widely available (on LP) is their thing... In my post from November 1 above, I collected some names I could find in old newspapers (including "more Dexter")... one not mentioned there (and also not in the same concert series) is Freddie Redd who apparently played a solo concert there in the late 60s.... that one's near the top of my wish list