Jim Yanda's Empathy Gene w/ Herb Robertson & Phil Haynes; Jefrey Brown solo (11/12/23 in the Hudson Valley)

Greetings!

Figured I'd use this forum a little more effectively to announce gigs in my series at Tubby's in Kingston, NY.

I'm excited to report that guitarist Jim Yanda returns to the series in the cooperative trio Empathy Gene with veteran trumpeter Herb Robertson (Tim Berne, Paul Motian, etc.) and drummer Phil Haynes (Anthony Braxton, Dave Liebman, etc.). Jim is an enthusiastic supporter of the scene and a fantastic musician who brings a unique, non-linear approach to folk-blues and free improvisation. I first encountered his playing with the trumpeter Arnold Hammerschlag; their trio with bassist Rashaan Carter was the second concert I booked at Tubby's back in 2022. This particular unit has a heavy pedigree and witnessing their interaction will be something else.

Opening the proceedings is the multi-instrumentalist Jefrey Brown, whose work has spanned/transcended genre in such outfits as Gospel of Mars and Jackie*O Motherfucker. Brown is a saxophonist and guitarist and will be performing a solo set on this occasion, and I'm looking forward to hearing what tales he unfurls.

The short: 7PM, Nov 12, $15 doors or $10 advance (we love it when you grip early, as it helps us to gauge turnout).

Anyway, hope to see some of y'all there. It will be a good gig!

Also, earlier in the day at the Lace Mill in Kingston, Michael Bisio will be performing in a quartet with Steve Gorn, Ingrid Sertso, and Timothy Hill. Make it a double-header if you so choose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 3:34 AM, clifford_thornton said:
Greetings!

Figured I'd use this forum a little more effectively to announce gigs in my series at Tubby's in Kingston, NY.

I'm excited to report that guitarist Jim Yanda returns to the series in the cooperative trio Empathy Gene with veteran trumpeter Herb Robertson (Tim Berne, Paul Motian, etc.) and drummer Phil Haynes (Anthony Braxton, Dave Liebman, etc.). Jim is an enthusiastic supporter of the scene and a fantastic musician who brings a unique, non-linear approach to folk-blues and free improvisation. I first encountered his playing with the trumpeter Arnold Hammerschlag; their trio with bassist Rashaan Carter was the second concert I booked at Tubby's back in 2022. This particular unit has a heavy pedigree and witnessing their interaction will be something else.

Opening the proceedings is the multi-instrumentalist Jefrey Brown, whose work has spanned/transcended genre in such outfits as Gospel of Mars and Jackie*O Motherfucker. Brown is a saxophonist and guitarist and will be performing a solo set on this occasion, and I'm looking forward to hearing what tales he unfurls.

The short: 7PM, Nov 12, $15 doors or $10 advance (we love it when you grip early, as it helps us to gauge turnout).

Anyway, hope to see some of y'all there. It will be a good gig!

Also, earlier in the day at the Lace Mill in Kingston, Michael Bisio will be performing in a quartet with Steve Gorn, Ingrid Sertso, and Timothy Hill. Make it a double-header if you so choose.

When's the Café Oto takeover happening...?

Would love to have seen both those gigs, Gorn and Sertso particularly are two players I'd rush to see

Haha, if they want me to book a month at Oto I would do it.

Got the double jab and was too wiped for Gorn/Sertso but the Yanda trio was very happening -- he is a fascinating guitarist -- and Jefry Brown was outta sight as well.

Soft season ender with Sandy Ewen, Lisa Cameron, and Jo Saucier on 12/5.

Long winter break afterward to catch up on a bunch of stuff. Coming back in April with Wendy Eisenberg & Caroline Davis.