Don Byas beyond the Mosaic set

mikeweil

Doing this from memory but Byas has one side of, I believe, Americans in Europe vol 2 on Impulse. I’ve already told my wife I want I Remember Clifford from this played at my funeral. There are also some decent JATP sides with Byas and others, Getz and Hawkins I think among others.

Edited by Tom in RI
More info

Examining the list of recordings excluded from the set due to licensing, I was entirely unfamiliar with the Don Byas/Tyree Glenn recordings from Paris 1946-1947.  I realize that only the first session was a possibility on the set owing to the time parameters, but I am finding these sessions to be pretty worthwhile.

DON BYAS / TYREE GLENN / PEANUTS HOLLAND

Paris, Oct. 18, 1946 Peanuts Holland (tp¸438, vo-439), Tyree Glenn (tb¸438), Hubert Rostaing (as-440), Don Byas (ts), Billy Taylor (p), Ted Sturgis (b), Buford Oliver (dm).

Swing 437-1 Working Eyes

438-1 Gloria

439-1 Peanut Butter Blues

440-1 Mohawk Special

TYREE GLENN AND HIS ORCHESTRA

Paris, Jan. 13, 1947 Peanuts Holland (tp), Tyree Glenn (tb), Hubert Rostaing (cl), Don Byas (ts), Billy Taylor (p), Jean-Jacques Tilché (g), Jean Bouchety (b), Oliver Buford (dm).

Blue Star 1869 Mad Monk

1870 Please Don't Talk About Me

1871 The Hour of Parting

1872 I Can't Get Started

1873 Billie's Bounce  

1874 I Surrender Dear

DON BYAS AND HIS REE-BOPPERS

Paris, Jan. 27, 1947  Peanuts Holland (tp, vo-1899), Don Byas (ts), Billy Taylor (p), Jean-Jacques Tilché (g), Jean Bouchety (b), Oliver Buford (dm).

Blue Star 1895 Walking Around

1896 How High The Moon

1897 Red Cross

1898 Laura

1899 Cement Mixer

1900 Dynamo A

11 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Examining the list of recordings excluded from the set due to licensing, I was entirely unfamiliar with the Don Byas/Tyree Glenn recordings from Paris 1946-1947.  I realize that only the first session was a possibility on the set owing to the time parameters, but I am finding these sessions to be pretty worthwhile.

Absolutely.
I've been smitten by "Mohawk Special" ever since I caught it on a radio show in my university student days. I later found that session on one of the "Swing Sessions" series LPs (which I later replaced by the reissue on Prestige). But overall these sessions are scattered on lots of different discs (unless you have the Classics CDs). I had to search hard for the sessions of 13 and 27 Jan. 1947 but see I have them on the "Bebop" CD (Vol. 72) of the "Jazz in Paris" series. Time to spin them again so thanks for highlighting these sessions.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 11/14/2023 at 7:56 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

DON BYAS / TYREE GLENN / PEANUTS HOLLAND

Paris, Oct. 18, 1946 Peanuts Holland (tp¸438, vo-439), Tyree Glenn (tb¸438), Hubert Rostaing (as-440), Don Byas (ts), Billy Taylor (p), Ted Sturgis (b), Buford Oliver (dm).

Swing 437-1 Working Eyes

438-1 Gloria

439-1 Peanut Butter Blues

440-1 Mohawk Special

TYREE GLENN AND HIS ORCHESTRA

Paris, Jan. 13, 1947 Peanuts Holland (tp), Tyree Glenn (tb), Hubert Rostaing (cl), Don Byas (ts), Billy Taylor (p), Jean-Jacques Tilché (g), Jean Bouchety (b), Oliver Buford (dm).

Blue Star 1869 Mad Monk

1870 Please Don't Talk About Me

1871 The Hour of Parting

1872 I Can't Get Started

1873 Billie's Bounce  

1874 I Surrender Dear

DON BYAS AND HIS REE-BOPPERS

Paris, Jan. 27, 1947  Peanuts Holland (tp, vo-1899), Don Byas (ts), Billy Taylor (p), Jean-Jacques Tilché (g), Jean Bouchety (b), Oliver Buford (dm).

Blue Star 1895 Walking Around

1896 How High The Moon

1897 Red Cross

1898 Laura

1899 Cement Mixer

1900 Dynamo A

I´m no real collector and have only stuff that was available then, like the Double Album of Savoy Mastertakes 1944-46, and the boppish "Anthropology" on Black Lion, but those 1947 things must be quite astonishing where Byas plays some vintage bop titles like he did on the Black Lion LP. 

I think I also have the "Don Byas and the Girls" somewhere under "forgotten or not spinned LPs" and I vaguly remember it didn´t really exite me, somehow a bit too tame, while "Anthropology" is really cookin´ . 

On 11/10/2023 at 3:28 PM, mikeweil said:

Correct. But there were added as bonus tracks to the CD reissue of Vol. 1!

Mi0xNTk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

I was a bit disappointed that they just issued ballads, I mean Don plays "Clifford", Indrees plays "Can´t get STarted" and Bud plays "Round Midnite" and there is a quite half hearted and over played "All the Things You Are". So I would have preferred let´s say each of them play a bit more drivin stuff, and besides that of course a Ballad Medley would have been cool. 

I had not heard about Lou Bennett before that , well it sounds nice, like Jimmy Smith I would say,but nothin special. 

I didn´t know who Bill Smith and Bob Carter are and think it sounds a bit funny for my ears, maybe because it is more western sounding very white sounding kind of jazz....."