Interesting article on Val Wilmer’s photography in the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/nov/21/fela-kuti-bb-king-jimi-hendrix-miles-davis-val-wilmer-mi6

I visited the exhibition mentioned in article today in Queens Park London. I would recommend it. Some good photos I had not seen before. Also some familiar ones, such as Rashid Ali and Frank Lowe used on the cover of Duo Exchange. 

As mentioned in another thread, I'm pondering checking out the exhibition next week, time permitting.

I remember seeing her in the crowd at The Barbican once. It might have been during 'Jazz Britannia'.

Noticed that many of the bookshops e.g. Foyles have got lots of copies of her 1977 book on display at present.

Edited by sidewinder

I spotted her at Walthamstow wetlands last summer, wished I’d said hello! Used to see her regularly at Oto and Vortex but haven’t visited either for various reasons this past year or so. It’s not a huge exhibition in Queen’s Park and a large number are blues-related. I think this may be because the latest book covers the blues.

The prices interested me, around £1200 a pop.  My partner bought me a Val Wilmer photo (framed, good quality print) of Eric Dolphy (in London 1961) which we still have on the wall. From Rhythm Records Camden in the 80s and I am sure much less than £100. 

Rhythm Records - Isn't that what used to be Honest Jon's, Camden Town? 

I called in there by chance in the early 2000s just as they were closing down, the place was being converted into a female fashion outlet. Came out with Sonny Fortune on Strata-East for £5 !

Edited by sidewinder

Very very interesting indeed. 
Fela Kuti: I only had read about him in JazzPodium where his music was described as uninteresting and that he had focussed more on his arrogant stage behaviour, having a kind of "servant" who handed him his saxophone and his cigarettes. 
I never had heard his music.

I have one of her books, I think it is titled "Jazz People" and has some great interviews with musicians I really love , Jackie McLean, Cecil Taylor, Howard McGhee, and the best, the very very best interview about Monk, that I have ever read. 

His answers are so quick and hip and they are truth, I mean I understood his answers very much, as his music is among my favourites . I think she did a great job doing that interview, even if she tries to ask questions in certain directions Monk wouldn´t discuss: Races, Politics etc. 
He says something like "I´m a musician, I play and get paid for it, let the politicians worry about politics, its them their job they get paid for it...." , and where he says "I got a wife and two kids to cloth and feed". I understand that so well.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was an interesting listen. Some nice reminiscences about Louis, Duke and Monk plus it's not every day that you hear Julius Hemphill selected as a pick on Desert Island Disks. Beats the usual selection of musically illiterate unknowns that frequent this programme !

I like that story about her Mum getting totally drunk (first time ever, apparently) at a Duke post-gig party !

Edited by sidewinder