For British Jazz fans

21 hours ago, adh1907 said:

https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-69---the-mike-taylor-trio---trio-lp-original-uk-mono-copy---columbia-sx-6137/?lot=47041&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=149&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=2&g=1

slightly OT but the BBC seems to be selling a lot of records such as this, the Mike Taylor trio. Maybe not so off topic as Richard has written extensively on Mike Taylor over the years. 

Sorry for the ridiculously long link there

that VAT of 28 percent is a bit 🤑

20 hours ago, romualdo said:

Here's a link to  RMJ;s 99 corrections on Wikipedia's entry on ND:

https://galacticramble.blogspot.com/2023/07/nikipedia.html#comment-form

Contacted Honest Jons last week & they're able to obtain it for me - just waiting for its arrival - I'm going to order a couple of double LPs (HJ's/Incus reissue twofer LPs with extra material) to even out the significant shipping cost to Australia - the book could probably be used as an anchor, it's so heavy

Just arrived - the size of an atlas and very well printed and put together. Most of the pages are double page features of key albums plus occasional shorter summaries of 'additionals'. Looks very comprehensive - poster included too.

On 1/15/2024 at 7:22 AM, romualdo said:

the book could probably be used as an anchor, it's so heavy

It could be an anchor for a tanker. Prepare bookshelf space !

The original cover art of the LPs and the back covers form a significant part of the book. It is great to see them so superbly presented and also most useful to have the original back cover notes nice and legible.

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, I am not sure where to put this behemoth! Too tall for even my oversize bookshelves.

Beautiful book, and I like the quotes from contemporaneous reviews. I thought I had a pretty good handle on British jazz LPs (and the fine CD reissue programmes of 15 years ago), but quite a few of the titles in here are totally unfamiliar to me.

And I also was surprised to see Jack repeating the internet error that Alan Shorter appears on "By Contact." He had nothing to do with that session. Surman plays cornet (in addition to reeds), and the record was originally supposed to come out on Turtle.

Never even knew about that Surman Japanese Columbia LP !

Some real obscurities have been listed. Stuff like Bristol guitarist Frank Evans on SayDisc. I actually came across that English Consort LP in the racks about 10 years ago for £2 and passed as I thought it was a twee classical curio ! Duhhh...

Talking of Frank Evans - he used to sell his home produced CDs to shops in the Bristol/Bath area - I have one.

Have yet to see that first Arman Ratip trio LP anywhere. Must have sold about 10 copies.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I actually came across that English Consort LP in the racks about 10 years ago for £2 and passed as I thought it was a twee classical curio ! Duhhh...

This album? If so, I reckon you were correct on the evidence of this track

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

This album? If so, I reckon you were correct on the evidence of this track

Yes, with different quirkier sleeve art. It was done as sort of a joint project with the owner of a country house in Shropshire. Not jazz as we know it- but I should have spent the £2 for Frank's playing.

Updated - seems to be available and cheap on discogs. I wonder why? 🙄

Edited by sidewinder

35 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yep, I have it -- same music as the Ogun but with very different, hotter mastering and IIRC some change in track order.

Wasn't even aware of that Trio Ogun record so one to watch out for.

The book seems to be good at raising awareness of stuff that one doesn't even know about. Also for re-aquainting with recordings seldom spun. Case in point - Ken Moule's 'Adam's Rib Suite'. British jazz classic - no and very much on the twee side but still enjoyable and a well played period piece. Interesting that it gets the full double page spread in the book.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...