What music did you buy today?

tonym

Continuing my recent journey into Monk's music:

Thelonious Monk -- "Complete Prestige Recordings"

418EM4XWT7L._AA240_.jpg

(Haven't received the Lands or Byrds yet. Maybe today. The Monk stuff is all wonderful. And yes, "Monk's Music" is genius -- raw, crazy, beautiful, jarring.)

You lucky guy! The Prestige stuff is a real highlight of Monk's career, and since he was on the label for such a relatively short time the material can be taken in almost all at once, in a white heat of enthusiasm and discovery. And it sounds like you're going for it! :tup

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

felt like a good day but i haven't heard most of them yet... and all between 4 and 8 euro... (and in real stores where i could just take them with me...)

two from the very top of my want list

Reuben Wilson - Blue Moods (the one i've already heard - so much better than love bug upon first impression)

Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison - Illumination

plus

Chet Baker in Bologna (Dreyfus with my favorite Baker band Catherine/Rassinfosse)

Lucky Thompson (the Fresh Sound Twofer with Tommy Flannagan)

Cohn/Kamuca/Perkins - The Brothers

felt like a good day but i haven't heard most of them yet... and all between 4 and 8 euro... (and in real stores where i could just take them with me...)

Reuben Wilson - Blue Moods (the one i've already heard - so much better than love bug upon first impression)

Nice Niko! Those are on the top of my want list too :cool:

Nice Niko! Those are on the top of my want list too :cool:

blue moods is so cool! had never been too fond of melvin sparks but he's amazing here... same for john manning (compared to that one melvin sparks album he's on...)

now playing the chet baker - another real fine one, never thought i could like a baker album that's so heavy on singing that much...

Used store that I don't frequent often must've had some jazz fan desperate for money, because he (she) dumped a bus-load of RVG's all for under $8 bucks a pop and few other extra goodies laying around:

Blue Mitchell-Boss Horn (glad to nab this one since its now OOP)

Art Taylor-A.T.'s Delight

Jackie McLean-Bluesnik

Jackie McLean-Alto Madness-Prestige/OJC

Art Blakey-Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World

Art Blakey-Big Beat

Art Blakey-Mosaic

Spontaneous Music Orchestra-Mouthpiece-Emanem (for $5!)

William Parker Trio-Painter's Spring-Thirsty Ear

Paul Bley-Open to Love-ECM (the original cd issue)

And there was a ton I left behind because I ran out of money!

That William Parker is a great one! And "Open to Love" and "Mosaic" are classics of course.

Edited by jostber

Surprisingly, in view of my liking for the sons of Lester, I wasn't taken by The Brothers, but am much happier with Perkins and Kamuca, Tenors Head On. How do you find The Brothers?

Edited by BillF

Surprisingly, in view of my liking for the sons of Lester, I wasn't taken by The Brothers, but am much happier with Perkins and Kamuca, Tenors Head On. How do you find The Brothers?

just about two-thirds through... the guitar players are not featured anywhere as much as i had hoped (but i guess buying a record with three leaders to hear the sidemen is a bit stupid)... but with the selection of tunes, the solos of the three tenors, and (mostly) the overall mood i am pretty happy - but then, this is essentially my first album with kamuca and perkins (dick collins "king richard the swinghearted" has the same three tenors have that one and probably love it much more - but not so much for the tenors...)

Continuing my recent journey into Monk's music:

Thelonious Monk -- "Complete Prestige Recordings"

418EM4XWT7L._AA240_.jpg

(Haven't received the Lands or Byrds yet. Maybe today. The Monk stuff is all wonderful. And yes, "Monk's Music" is genius -- raw, crazy, beautiful, jarring.)

You lucky guy! The Prestige stuff is a real highlight of Monk's career, and since he was on the label for such a relatively short time the material can be taken in almost all at once, in a white heat of enthusiasm and discovery. And it sounds like you're going for it! :tup

Yes. Arrived earlier today and I've been listening to the first two discs. Wonderful.

In the last week or so ...

Sonny Criss -- "Sonny's Dream (Birth of the New Cool) -- this one after listening to Mobley's "A Slice of the Top" and reading thread here on it comparing the two.

Bud Powell -- "The Scene Changes (The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 5)

Sonny Rollins -- "Vol. 2"

Sonny Rollins -- "Plus 4"

Charlie Rouse -- "Takin' Care of Business"

fe8bc060ada00b01239df110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg21t9784SOHL._SL500_AA192_.jpg0a561363ada04311e5d8f010.L._AA240_.jpg

51vIQ2tBnNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51pgMt6Nf5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

In the last week or so ...

Sonny Criss -- "Sonny's Dream (Birth of the New Cool) -- this one after listening to Mobley's "A Slice of the Top" and reading thread here on it comparing the two.

Bud Powell -- "The Scene Changes (The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 5)

Sonny Rollins -- "Vol. 2"

Sonny Rollins -- "Plus 4"

Charlie Rouse -- "Takin' Care of Business"

fe8bc060ada00b01239df110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg21t9784SOHL._SL500_AA192_.jpg0a561363ada04311e5d8f010.L._AA240_.jpg

51vIQ2tBnNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51pgMt6Nf5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

That Criss disc is fantastic imho. Great composing by Horace Tapscott.