What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a sweet one at one of my Atlanta used record stores today - Goin' to the Meeting by Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, with Horace Parlan on piano. It was cheap and sounds great - looks VG but sounds mint, except for one minor scratch. It's got the yellow and black Prestige label and Van Gelder's stamp. The cover's in really nice shape, too. I don't need a bunch of Lockjaw's records, but I'm glad I found this one.

Roy Campbell -- "Communion" (silkheart)

Jemeel Moondoc -- "Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys" (eremite)

campbellCommunion.jpg51RS4EdMEpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I have mixed feelings about Moondoc, but that's one of the great album titles of all time.

I ran across him on a Steve Swell disc -- "Swimming in a Galaxy of Goodwill and Sorrow" (RogueArt) -- that I snagged after Chuck made some warm comments about it a while back. Intrigued, I began to sniff around for some titles where he was leader. This one seems to be fairly well regarded.

The Moondoc is a good catch. I've been looking for it and it's out of print. I could get a new one on Amazon for $209.36 or a used one for $39.99. :unsure:

Yeah, I bit the bullet and ordered a used copy, described as "like new," punch hole in bar code I think. I'm reassured that this seems to be the one to get with Moondoc though.

:rfr ... I don't think it would be possible for me to enjoy a single disc of music that costs over $200. A few years ago I went nuts and paid something like $120 for a used copy of Braxton's Dortmund and I can't remember the last time I actually listened to it.

41yWC%2BglZML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cowboy Bebop Original Anime Soundtrack Box Set featuring Yoko Kanno / Seatbelts.

Fans of the show hardly need to be sold on the music for this series. I first saw Cowboy Bebop years ago and immediately the soundtrack caught my ear from the show's opening theme, "Tank". Check it out here-> Cowboy Bebop opening theme, "Tank" There's a lot of interesting and excellent music on these 4 discs and it's well worth acquiring.

"The Real Folk Blues", Cowboy Bebop's closing theme. Real Folk Blues

Edited by mikelz777

A couple addional purchases this past week from Newbury Comics:

c036432sp40.jpgSonny Rollins - Freedom Suite

Purchased this for only $1.99 plus shipping

51Hhs30WQrL._SL500_AA240_.jpgThelonious Monk - Plays Duke Ellington

Purchased that for only $2.99 plus shipping

Yikes! You really got these for cheap price! I love 'em both! I'm not a big fan of Sonny Rollins but his Freedom Suite is definitely one of his best efforts.

1 hour to kill in Paris, 103 euros spent in la Fnac...

Randy Weston - African Cookbook LP

Thelonious Monk plays duke Ellington LP

Trésors du Jazz 1955 (10 CD boxset at only 15 euros!)

Trésors du Jazz 1954

Definitive B&B : Gene Rodgers

Definitive B&B : Joe Newman

Definitive B&B : Earl Hines

Tete Montoliu - The music I like to play Vol2

Four Classics (Avid Jazz): Cout Basie (april in paris, king of swing, the atomic mr basie, the greatest!!)

Three Classics (Avid Jazz): Dave Brubeck (jazz red hot and cool, newport 58, jazz goes to jr. college

Bill Evans - Emergence

Jon Hendricks - Boppin at the Blue Note