What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by Newbury Comics in Northampton, Mass. after my wife's concert in Amherst.

Picked up some 3.99 OJC overstocks --

Gene Ammons - Late Hour Special,

Booker Ervin - Exultation!, Freedom Book and The Trance,

Sonny Stitt - Night Letter,

Lucky Thompson - Happy Days,

Bobby Timmons Trio - From the Botton,

Dizzy Reece - Asia Minor,

and a few more.

Edited by alankin

Missed that one. Amazon.uk's lowest prices are £35.61 (new), £19.99 (used) and £7.49 (download).

I'm sure I've seen it around at less than £10 recently. Might have been at good ol' Fopp. Great Tubby album !

Sensational album! Tubby and Ronnie on "Sonnymoon for Two" are something else! When I think that at the time we longed to hear American musicians and thought we were being served inferior stuff by the locals! We must have had cloth ears!

I've been pretty good lately (with far more outgoing than incoming CDs!).

But I couldn't resist this for under $3:

hall+concierto.jpg

Jim Hall Concierto (CTI)

I will probably see if I can use up my soon-to-be-worthless Borders cards on CDs that are actually in stock, since I have had no luck with their on-line shopping.

Missed that one. Amazon.uk's lowest prices are £35.61 (new), £19.99 (used) and £7.49 (download).

I'm sure I've seen it around at less than £10 recently. Might have been at good ol' Fopp. Great Tubby album !

Not worth it IMO , sound of the CD is poor as I'm sure was discussed here at the time of its release.

I've been pretty good lately (with far more outgoing than incoming CDs!).

But I couldn't resist this for under $3:

hall+concierto.jpg

Jim Hall Concierto (CTI)

I will probably see if I can use up my soon-to-be-worthless Borders cards on CDs that are actually in stock, since I have had no luck with their on-line shopping.

I like this one but have always considered it more of a Chet Baker album than anything....

Not worth it IMO , sound of the CD is poor as I'm sure was discussed here at the time of its release.

Yes, I also find the sound a bit lacking, but the music!!! Re sound, I spend quite a bit of time listening to bop sides from the 40s in comparison with which the Tubby is super hi-fi :D

Yes, I also find the sound a bit lacking, but the music!!! Re sound, I spend quite a bit of time listening to bop sides from the 40s in comparison with which the Tubby is super hi-fi :D

No qualms about the sound on the LP. Both the mono and stereo versions are great ! I thought the concerns re: CD sound were with '100% Proof' and 'Mexican Green' but it sounds as if the whole lot must have been compromised. I suspect that the Japanese Digipacks are better - the one I have of 'Tubbs Tours' is fine.

No qualms about the sound on the LP. Both the mono and stereo versions are great ! I thought the concerns re: CD sound were with '100% Proof' and 'Mexican Green' but it sounds as if the whole lot must have been compromised. I suspect that the Japanese Digipacks are better - the one I have of 'Tubbs Tours' is fine.

I think my quibbles about the sound relate to the recording, rather than subsequent "editions". The soloists haven't been sufficiently "foregrounded" to make them properly audible with the band roaring behind.

Edited by BillF