What music did you buy today?

tonym

Spied this in a writeup in an issue of OffBeat that Jeff kindly sent along recently. (Thanks Jeff). Sound samples here.

OffBeat review here.

Hadn't been aware of Wiggs, but apparently he was something of a fixture in New Orleans, particularly during the revival period, who cites Oliver and Beiderbecke as his primary influences. These recordings feature, among others, Raymond Burke and Paul Barbarin, as well as a host of New Orleans locals. The list of musicians can be found here.

On order. Should arrive this week. Looking forward to it.

51Bw5MIQj%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spied this in a writeup in an issue of OffBeat that Jeff kindly sent along recently. (Thanks Jeff). Sound samples here.

OffBeat review here.

Hadn't been aware of Wiggs, but apparently he was something of a fixture in New Orleans, particularly during the revival period, who cites Oliver and Beiderbecke as his primary influences. These recordings feature, among others, Raymond Burke and Paul Barbarin, as well as a host of New Orleans locals. The list of musicians can be found here.

On order. Should arrive this week. Looking forward to it.

51Bw5MIQj%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeah, Wiggs was one of those unsung treasures of New Orleans. In the late twenties, he recorded a really nice 78 (as John Hyman and His Bayou Stompers) that shows the Beiderbecke influence more than any other New Orleans recording that I'm aware of. Those "Congo Square" sessions are excellent (I've had that stuff on vinyl for years). This one is nice, too.

Edit: I see that the Amazon link has very little info, so I'll point out that the Journeys Into Jazz CD has the great Harry Shields on clarinet, along with the Barkers - Danny and Blue Lu.

Edited by jeffcrom

Kid Thomas Valentine and His Algiers Stompers -- "Same Old Soupbone!"

Caught my eye for a couple of reasons: The band substitutes tenor sax for clarinet, giving the music what All Music describes as "a fuller sound," and they perform a few tunes here that are a bit off the beaten path for a New Orleans trad jazz band, such as "Oh Lady Be Good." On order as of a half hour ago, stolen from an amazon seller for ten bucks. Looking forward to it.

e572783wrwh.jpg

Kid Thomas Valentine and His Algiers Stompers -- "Same Old Soupbone!"

Caught my eye for a couple of reasons: The band substitutes tenor sax for clarinet, giving the music what All Music describes as "a fuller sound," and they perform a few tunes here that are a bit off the beaten path for a New Orleans trad jazz band, such as "Oh Lady Be Good." On order as of a half hour ago, stolen from an amazon seller for ten bucks. Looking forward to it.

e572783wrwh.jpg

Cool! Kid Thomas, when left to his own devices, always had a saxophone in his band instead of a clarinet. Presence of clarinet instead of saxophone on a Kid Thomas album is due to the producer's ideas, not Mr. Valentine's. From the late 1950's on, the saxophonist was usually Emanuel Paul, with his old-fashioned style, big sound, and wide vibrato.

Joe Pass And Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen - Chops

Barry Harris Trio - Preminado

Max Roach Quartet - Live in Tokyo

Cedar Walton - Soul Cycle

Joe Chambers - Horace To Max

Oscar Peterson Trio - With Respect To Nat

Dizzy Gillespie - Jambo Caribe