What music did you buy today?

tonym

Woody Herman, Blowin' Up a Storm: the Columbia Years 1945-47.

Very pleased to get hold of a used copy of this 2CD 40 track collection, which extends my coverage of this classic material from the 12 track LP (CBS Realm Jazz) which I've had since the 1960s, but doesn't go quite so far as the $119 7CD Mosaic box.

The sound on that Woody Herman set is excellent, imo. The Columbia engineers in the 40s left a nice legacy, for sure.

Yes, I'm hearing that fantastic rhythm section properly for the first time!

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Henderson: The Elements (OJC)

Elmo Hope: Trio And Quintet (Connoisseur Series)

Roscoe Mitchell: Sound (Delmark)

Jackie McLean: Live At Montmarte (SteepleChase)

Milt Jackson: Wizard Of The Vibes (RVG Edition)

Eric Dolphy: Gaslight 1962 (Get Back)

(quite pleased I found the Roscoe Mitchell -- you don't see many Delmark CDs in greek record shops)

ordered:

Ellington Classics:

- 1938-1939

- 1939 Vol. 2

both from abeille musique's sale

then also gave a shot at the following two on Amazon and amazon marketplace:

- 1938 Vol. 3

- 193-1940

Still no leads on:

- 1938 Vol. 2

- 1939 (Vol. 1)

Also, to beef up one of the Amazon orders, I added some Jimmy Heath OJCs that I've wanted to get for a looong time:

- On the Trail

- The Thumper

- Triple Treat

The only one I have so far is "Quota" and an admittedly illegit copy of the impossible to find "Swamp Seed" - both mighty fine albums!

Ran Blake: All That is Tied (Tompkins Square)

Ran Blake: Something to Live For (HatArt)

Wynonie Harris: Women, Whiskey and Fishtails (Ace Records)

Wynonie Harris: Rock Mr.Blues - In the 50's (Rev-Ola Bandstand)

Arthur Blythe: Lennox Avenue Breakdown (Koch Jazz)

Muggsy Spanier: 1944 (Chronological Classics)

And the third of my Lucky Millinder albums today, before I'd quite finished listening to yesterday's :)

product-305414.jpg

Phew! A great and interesting bunch of stuff. I am particularly knocked out by Cal Tjader's tenor player Jose "Chombo" Silva who was a total ass-kicker!

Thanks Mike for the advice on Tjader.

MG

Hi Mike, they have Jan 28th as release date over here. HMV have it for £8.99 if you want a copy. Let me know if you can get it over there at a reasonable price.

I couldn't find it listed anywhere at any of the stateside internet stores I usually check out. When I Googled the CD it looked like all of the listings were from overseas. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I wonder if it will eventually become available among the many ECM listings on BMG Music Service/Yourmusic.com?

:blush:

It is with considerable shame and embarrassment that I've once again fallen prey to my weaknesses and succumbed to the alluring siren song of the BMG Music Service. :w This time I saw it as a great opportunity to pick up some interesting ECM titles. I had hoped to pick up the Baby Face Willette CD as well but it disappeared on me before I could join and order. I'd appreciate any feedback on these titles from anyone who is willing. All of these artists would be new to me except Brahem and Charlap. My first seven "free" CD picks were:

Enrico Rava - Tati

Enrico Rava - The Words And The Days

31HL1UkaPqL._AA240_.jpg===== 51hTgEQkgUL._AA240_.jpg

Anouar Brahem - Thimar

Jan Garbarek - Ragas And Sagas

41-K2eUIIAL._AA240_.jpg=====41VTie76KOL._AA240_.jpg

Dino Saluzzi - Ojos Negros (I'm taking the chance that it won't be a dud for me.)

41xhXVlb1VL._AA240_.jpg

Bill Charlap Trio - Live AT The Village Vanguard

Brad Mehldau - Art Of The Trio Vol. 1

41dx4Sja6ML._AA240_.jpg=====41MRW41KZTL._AA240_.jpg

Edited by mikelz777

i only know the first four of them, but imho the third art of the trio disc is by far the best ("Songs" featuring a great version of Nick Drake's River Man)

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out if vol. 1 works out for me. Unfortunately, vol. 1 is the only one offered by BMG so I'd have to check for it elsewhere.

i only know the first four of them, but imho the third art of the trio disc is by far the best ("Songs" featuring a great version of Nick Drake's River Man)

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out if vol. 1 works out for me. Unfortunately, vol. 1 is the only one offered by BMG so I'd have to check for it elsewhere.

Personally, i think 3 is the best of the bunch (studio wise, that is ...5 -- 'Progression' recorded live is a gem) but 1 isn't far behind.

Was at the mall this afternoon, so my daughter could spend a gift certificate she got for Christmas. I ducked in to F.Y.E. while there, just to see what overpriced stock they have left (and not much seems like 70% of their inventory is compilations now).

But they DID have the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box, and it appeared to be new, for $49.99. Couldn't resist. Turned out it looks like it's a remaindered item, but that's ok with me :)

Erik, did they have any more copies? :w

As of this post, Newbury Comics is selling it via Amazon Marketplace for $49.99 new.

Amazon Marketplace link

Mine arrived from Newbury today. A very sweet deal! Thanks for the heads up, guys! :rsmile:

Lonnie Smith - Think!

usually can't resist when the local brick and mortar store has something that's remotely on my want list... always decide not to go there anymore, because i never get what i need most badly :) , but then i like brick and mortar stores and i don't really know what i need badly... have spun it twice so far, nice, but i think i will listen to Turning Point more in the long run...