What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My third order from the Concord sale came in today. Another heavy day's listening :)

d239770o4ys.jpg

Gene Ammons - Angel eyes. I have most of this album already, but not two of the tracks. So this is working towards a complete Jug collection.

41TMRCRWXYL._SS500_.jpg

Blue Mitchell - Blue's moods. This is my favourite Blue album and I decided to upgrade my OJC LP to an OJC CD :)

41PNQ37MECL._SS500_.jpg

Bunk Johnson & his Superior Jazz Band. Absolutely full of feeling, this.

c63831q94id.jpg

Budd Johnson - Let's swing. And thanks to Big Al for introducing me to Budd last week.

538.jpg

Cannonball Adderley Quintet plus. Terrific - but how many goddamn versions of "New Delhi" are there?

Lpmikamitakeshi%20114.jpg

Nat Adderley - Naturally. Really nice stuff! His version of "Oleo" left my jaw on the floor and me shoutin'.

OJCCD-863-2.jpg

Ray Bryant - All blues. Woof - here's one I should have bought twenty years ago!

51HV01TCDSL._SS500_.jpg

And here's another I should have bought two decades ago! Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Al Grey & Harry Edison - JATP 1983. Phew!!!!!

OJCCD-429-2.jpg

Jaws again - Trane whistle. I've bought a lot of Jaws in the last couple of years and I can't say this is my favourite. I much prefer him in a small group context. Not that I don't like this; I do. And yes, there's a different side of Jaws here - also different to his work with Basie, what I've heard of it.

Is "The stolen moment" on this album the first recording of "Stolen moments"?

OBCCD-527-2.jpg

Jimmy Witherspoon - Baby, baby, baby. Oh, and this one is just wonderful!!!! Two bands; east coast and west coast. The eastern band is

Leo Wright (as), Kenny Burrell (g), Gildo Mahones (Gildo FUCKIN' Mahones!!!!) (p), George Tucker (b) Jimmie Smith (d). Wright plays THE most preaching solos I've ever heard from him, even with Gloria Coleperson.

The west coasters are

Bobby Bryant (tp), Jimmy Allen (who he? VG+) (ts), Ernie Freeman (p), Herman Mitchell (g), Jimmy Bond (b) Arthur Wright (hca), Jimmy Miller (d). Another great band. Bryant is one of my favourite trumpet players, anyway.

Damn good day!

MG

.... Damn good day!

MG

... Yeah ... I'll say :excited:

That Cannonball "Plus" is a great album, yes?

Indeed, but the album that REALLY got to me was the Spoon. I'm a big fan, but I've only got ten of his albums, so I've never seriously explored his work. "Baby, baby, baby" (really hard to type) was done before "Evening blues" and "Blues around the clock", both of which I've had for a long time, and I wasn't expecting something that would be anywhere near as good as those. But it's a beautiful album.

MG

don't the liner notes say so? gave that one to a friend two years ago and said he should give it back to me when i find the stuff he had lent me two years earlier... guess i should either rebuy or start searching for his stuff (sheet music to Nirvana Unplugged and Oasis Definitely Maybe) so i can get back my two "real books" the lockjaw album and the booklet of my Mose Allison compilation (which he has kept for over five years - he has certainly lost it) :)

ordered two items cheaply from newbury via ebay which i didn't think i would find anymore

Don Patterson - Dem New York Dues (already got the shipping notice) and

the Lockjaw Davis twofer with Don Patterson

don't the liner notes say so?

I can see it now: "this album features the first recording of a tune that Oliver Nelson is going to record many times before his untimely death in..."

ordered two items cheaply from newbury via ebay which i didn't think i would find anymore

Don Patterson - Dem New York Dues (already got the shipping notice) and

the Lockjaw Davis twofer with Don Patterson

Damn good stuff!!! If you gottem cheap, you gotta REAL bargain!

MG

Today was a good day for vinyl. I got given the following:

Jarmo Savolainen - self titled (Kompass Records)

Clarles Lloyd - Charles Lloyd in Europe (Atlantic)

Ritchie Cole - Some Things Speak For Themselves (Muse Records)

Czeslaw Bartkowski - Drums Dream (Polskie Nagrania)

And I bought the following for £1 each:

Dave Brubeck - Greatest Hits (CBS)

Jackson Five - Anthology 2LP (who cares)

I also got given a stash of pop/rock/curio 7"s that I got my pick of before being sold off.

This came this morning, pretty quick I think, since it was sent on 4 February from Ghana.

494.jpg

The image is a bit small, so it's Castro Destroyer - Toffee - Frimprince

Fabulous!!!!!! There were samples of only the first four tracks on the Ghana.UK site where I bought it, but the other seven are NOT a disappointment - some are incredible. Many times unable to sit down and listen!

It occurred to me, while listening, that there is a core of contemporary Ghanaian music which has incorporated military band music from Britain, Swing and Bebop from America, to create Highlife, and further infusions of R&B, Hard Bop, Soul, Funk and now Hip Hop, have changed this core not one whit! And I thought, "it would be nice, just now, to have a Hard Bop solo in here", and twenty seconds later, into the last but one track, comes a trumpet player - obviously late for the session - playing, well, not a Lee Morgan imitation but a very nice piece of jazz soloing!

I'm going to get a lot more of this stuff!

MG

Three additions to my Charlie Mariano collection:

Ali Haurand & Friends: Ballads

1941.jpg

European Jazz Ensmble: 30 years on the road [DVD]

1942.jpg

Theme music from "The James Dean Story"

1943.jpg

plus

Jazz in Paris: Chet Baker: Broken wing

1947.jpg

Jazz in Paris: Oscar Peterson ~ Stéphane Grappelli Quartet vol. 1 & 2