tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I came home yesterday, the mailbox had these waiting for me:

- Fats Waller JSP Vol. 1

- Fats Waller JSP Vol. 2

- Mose Allison "High Jinks" (Sony/Columbia 3CD set)

another recent acquisition, as of yet unplayed, ist Jarvis Cocker's second album on his own. Should be great...

Also bought Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" for a colleague who was retired this week.

Landed (via customs :mellow: ) Braxton & Armstrong Mosaic sets, a mother load of black box, spun first 2 discs of each set , sound great, the Braxton being no where near as out there as I imagined - very accessible. The Satch is beautiful and I am surprised that this material ever needed defending. Even the most banal tracks have wonderful solos by Louis that lift them to heavenly heights.

On the vinyl front I stumbled across a cheap copy of Sgt Pepper's in Mono ( 1st UK edition) in excellent condition, and a few ex Dial/ Blue Star Howard McGhee/ Charlie Parker 78s (HMV/ Esquire UK issues)- all sounding excellent and a lot crisper than the CD transfers I have.

The Pepper is interesting to compare it with the stereo version that I know by heart. Subtle differences that really do stand out when you know the original stereo version well.

Edited by Clunky

As of last night, I seem to be starting an Albert Ayler jag. My wife's going out of town this weekend, so no divorce should result. I stopped by my favorite local CD store today and filled some gaps: The Hilversum Sessions (ESP) and Music is the Healing Force of the Universe (Impulse).

Yesterday I got together with a musician friend at Sally's Place, a good record store in Westport, Ct., for some good talk and hanging out. Picked up some mainstream things to fill in spaces in my collection:

Melvin Rhyne: Kojo

Baby Face Willette: Stop and Listen

Leo Parker: Rollin' with Leo

Miles: Collectors' Items

Hank Mobley: Workout

Thelonious in Action

Dave Holland: Emerald Tears

Yesterday I got together with a musician friend at Sally's Place, a good record store in Westport, Ct., for some good talk and hanging out. Picked up some mainstream things to fill in spaces in my collection:

Thelonious in Action

The last three are so primo! I've been enjoying the Baby Face lately myself, and the Miles session with Bird and Rollins is interesting, but the session with Rollins and Tommy Flanagan is an overlooked gem. Don't know the Rhyne. Let me know how you like the Leo Parker; as a sometimes baritone saxophonist, I've never checked out Leo's Blue Note albums because I dislike his Prestige recordings so much. Sounds like you had fun.

Thelonious in Action

The last three are so primo! I've been enjoying the Baby Face lately myself, and the Miles session with Bird and Rollins is interesting, but the session with Rollins and Tommy Flanagan is an overlooked gem. Don't know the Rhyne. Let me know how you like the Leo Parker; as a sometimes baritone saxophonist, I've never checked out Leo's Blue Note albums because I dislike his Prestige recordings so much. Sounds like you had fun.

I did have a good time - both hanging with my friend and talking with Sally. It's a different deal, being in a store where the owner knows about the music and cares about it. I don't have that experience very often these days.

Edited by paul secor

Nabbed this used today: Sam Rivers Trio-Live-Impulse! Can't believe this one slipped OOP-Barry Altschul is on fire on this date as well as the rest of the band!

New:

Chet Baker and Crew-Pacific Jazz

Miles Davis Quintet-Miles-Prestige RVG

Sonny Rollins Plays for Bird-Prestige RVG

Ron Carter-Where?-Prestige RVG