What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few albums were delivered while my connection's been down.

The Soul Stirrers - He's my rock: the early sides - P-Vine

41P1JJ6JEPL._SS500_.jpg

2 CD set of their complete recordings from 1939 - 1948. Mostly their Aladdin material but a dozen earlier sides, too. Really great stuff!

Only disappointment is that the sleeve notes are in Japanese. Though they print the words of all 55 songs in English :)

Georgia Mass Choir - Tell it - Savoy

51sOkNI7ngL._SS500_.jpg

The latest album (issued last year) from the GMC - a great session, with the incredible Dorothy Norwood guesting and still belting it out like a good 'un!

Buika - Nina de fuego - DRO Atlantic

51BwomkhLhL._SS500_.jpg

Oh, entrancing! It will take me a long time to absorb everything in this CD. I was prepared for it to be not as good as her earlier albums, but it's a joy!

MG

41P1JJ6JEPL._SS500_.jpg

2 CD set of their complete recordings from 1939 - 1948. Mostly their Aladdin material but a dozen earlier sides, too. Really great stuff!

Only disappointment is that the sleeve notes are in Japanese. Though they print the words of all 55 songs in English :)

MG

Only disappointment for me with this one is that they left off "Pearl Harbor Parts 1&2" and "Why I Like Roosevelt Parts 1&2" - probably because they concern secular topics, and possibly because Willie Eason sings lead and plays Hawaiian steel guitar on them. Leaving them off annoyed me because I figured I could get rid of my old Imperial LP from the 70's. Still have it because of those tracks.

41P1JJ6JEPL._SS500_.jpg

MG

Only disappointment for me with this one is that they left off "Pearl Harbor Parts 1&2" and "Why I Like Roosevelt Parts 1&2" - probably because they concern secular topics, and possibly because Willie Eason sings lead and plays Hawaiian steel guitar on them. Leaving them off annoyed me because I figured I could get rid of my old Imperial LP from the 70's. Still have it because of those tracks.

Oh, I thought it was complete. But there was certainly not enough time to get those into the two discs - they're 77:46 and 78:08. A three disc set would have cost a hell of a lot more.

MG

Dizzy Gillespie w. Sonny Rollins & Sonny Stitt: Duets (Verve)

Clarence Williams: The Columbia Recordings Volume 2 - Whoop It Up (Frog)

Admirable breadth of taste!

Big difference in musical styles in the two recordings, but if you're looking at time, only 26 years separate the last of the Williams recordings and the Gillespie. Hard to believe that music changed so quickly.

Dizzy Gillespie w. Sonny Rollins & Sonny Stitt: Duets (Verve)

Clarence Williams: The Columbia Recordings Volume 2 - Whoop It Up (Frog)

Admirable breadth of taste!

Big difference in musical styles in the two recordings, but if you're looking at time, only 26 years separate the last of the Williams recordings and the Gillespie. Hard to believe that music changed so quickly.

Yes. Come to think of it, the latest Jimmy Yancey and earliest Bill Evans in my collection are separated by only five or six years!

I had to take my niece to a dentist's appointment and I had an hour to kill, so I went to this very commercial looking DVD/CD used store (kinda like CD Warehouse, but bigger) and I was absolutely astonished with what they had. I couldn't buy a lot of it because this place was charging collector's prices but here's some of the stuff I passed up, because I can't take a second mortgage out on my house :rolleyes: :

Barry Altschal-You Can't Name Your Own Tune-32 Jazz: $33.99

Walt Dickerson-Impressions of a Patch of Blue-VEE: $52.99 :o

Ed Thigpin-Out of the Storm-VEE-$36.99

Clifford Jordon-Cliff Craft-BN Conn-$47.99 :o

Art Blakey-Hard Drive-Bethlehem/Avenue Jazz-$27.99

Nevertheless, I still ended up blowing $100 :o:o

Here's what I could afford:

Bob Brookmeyer-Traditionalism Revisited-PJ WCC

Air-Live Air-Black Saint

Sun Ra-The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra-Savoy

Sun Ra-Holiday for Soul Dance-Evidence

Sun Ra-Monorails and Satellites-Evidence

Sun Ra-My Brother the Wind Volume II-Evidence

Sun Ra-Sound of Joy-Delmark

Latest arrivals:

Johnny Dyani "Mbizo" (Steeplechase)

Don Patterson "Dem New York Dues" (Fantasy)

Latest orders:

Shelly Manne "At the Manne-Hole, Vol. 1" (Fantasy)

and a bunch of discs by french pianist Stephan Oliva (all from priceminister.com - what a cool site!)

So I went to this very commercial looking DVD/CD used store (kinda like CD Warehouse, but bigger)

Well after some quick researh on-line, I just found out that 'Buybacks' is a store under the CD Warehouse umbrella, which explains the inflated collector's prices. I should've known <_<

Okkadisk.com

Item Name: School Days / Crossing Division

Item Number: OD12037

Quantity: 1

Total: $13.00 USD

Item Name: AALY / DKV Trio - Double or Nothing

Item Number: OD12035

Quantity: 1

Total: $13.00 USD

Cart Subtotal: $26.00 USD

Sales Tax:

Cart Total: $26.00 USD