What music did you buy today?

tonym

late last night i realized i needed more grant green records... went through a few shops and out of general frustration i bought a bit more than usually, mostly on sale

Chet Baker - Round Midnight ( (as i realized later) somewhat odd 50 minute compilation of tracks from two 1979 albums with the same line-up very good music however... (featuring musicians i don't know Jean-Paul Florens on guitar, Henri Florens on piano...) )

Eric Vloiemans - Hidden History

Syd Barrett - Opel (another odd compilation but with some great songs, had the two solo albums for years, almost know them by heart, glad i finally got this one)

Grant Green - The Latin Bit

Grant Green - Feelin' the spirit

Edited by Niko

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 180g vinyl reissues of Sun Ra's "Atlantis" and "Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow"

Switched to vinyl Erik? :tup

Hi Bob!

Well... not exactly "switched"! I have a turntable that's boxed up and put away, but that I've been planning to bring out once my kids were older and I wasn't so worried about them damaging something. That time is about now, I think.

So I've occasionally been buying vinyl when something catches my eye (like these Sun Ra's in a local indy/used shop that's NEVER had vinyl before - heck, it's amazing to have a local shop still, even though for the most part their inventory is poor).

I've got alot of music from my younger days that's on vinyl, that I haven't gone through in ages (mainly rock stuff, but some jazz), that I'm looking forward to exploring soon.

The Vaselines - The Way of the Vaselines: A Complete History - (Sub Pop)

Used to have it on cassette when it was issued (posthumously) in 1992, glad to have it again for sure... apparently there was an LP version on the German licensing label Glitterhouse, but I've never seen that one.

Chris Corsano - The Young Cricketer - (Family Vineyard LP)

I've got alot of music from my younger days that's on vinyl, that I haven't gone through in ages (mainly rock stuff, but some jazz), that I'm looking forward to exploring soon.

Great stuff Erik ! :tup Those Sun Ra reissues are great (I have the 'Atlantis') - they sound pretty good and are priced OK. Heck, they probably sound way better than the Saturn originals (not difficult). Check out the 'Strange Strings' if you can find it. Also recommended are the Art Yards - 'Disco 3000', 'On Jupiter' etc. I got hold of mine through Honest Jons in London but I think places like Dusty Groove stock them.

Yeah - that's the worst thing about turntables and vinyl. Prone to damage by kids, stray animals etc. Yet another reason why I don't have cats in the house. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Great stuff Erik ! :tup Those Sun Ra reissues are great (I have the 'Atlantis') - they sound pretty good and are priced OK. Heck, they probably sound way better than the Saturn originals (not difficult).

I've got "The Magic City" in this series, it's a Scorpio product. In fact once I finished checking most of the new vinyl I've bought in the last three years ( about 20 titles) are Scorpios, none sound great. All are passable IMO but then again I've got nothing to compare to. Scorpio resissues seem to cover Blue Note, Prestige, Time, Saturn, Inner City, Vortex , quite a range, no idea if they're all mastered from DAT but I'm avoiding them now.

Great stuff Erik ! :tup Those Sun Ra reissues are great (I have the 'Atlantis') - they sound pretty good and are priced OK. Heck, they probably sound way better than the Saturn originals (not difficult).

I've got "The Magic City" in this series, it's a Scorpio product. In fact once I finished checking most of the new vinyl I've bought in the last three years ( about 20 titles) are Scorpios, none sound great. All are passable IMO but then again I've got nothing to compare to. Scorpio resissues seem to cover Blue Note, Prestige, Time, Saturn, Inner City, Vortex , quite a range, no idea if they're all mastered from DAT but I'm avoiding them now.

How is Scorpio getting the rights to these? BN excepted, I assumed these were boots or dubious licenses.

Got two Lonehills today:

"Classic Trio Sessions" by Earl 'Fatha' Hines -- mid-'60s things that I had on Contact, and Columbia LPs....from Hines' rediscovery period.

"Jimmie Lunceford in Hi-Fi", 2 tribute recordings by Sy Oliver (east coast studio bands from 1950 and added '57 tracks, for Decca) and Billy May (on the west coast for Capitol) from 1957.

Picked up a few LP's over lunch. Nothin' fancy. One Liberty, three blue labels, and the DMM Jubilee.

Donald Byrd - Fuego

Herbie Hancock - My Point of View

Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World V2

Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off the Old Block

Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shout

A ton of stuff arrived over the weekend from Da Bastards and my work:

Jackson Conti: Sujinho (Already listened to it twice and I am loving it!)

Midwest Funk (Now Again)

Willie Bobo- Spanish Grease/Uno dos tres/1*2*3

Hank Ballard- You Can't Keep A Good Man Down

Calypso King & The Sounl Investigators-Soul Strike!

Bill Cosby/Badfoot Brown & The Bunions Bradford Funeral & Marching Band

Harlem River Drive

Karl Hector & The Malcouns-Sahara Swing

Melvin Jackson- Funky Skull

Kashmere Stage Band-Texas Thunder Soul 1968-1974

Patato/Totico

Lalo Schifrin: Black Widow

Yesterday's New Quintet-Stevie

Three from our friends at Lone Hill Jazz at some very nice prices from Half Price Books and from Berkshire Record Outlet:

51ABWQXTDJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Chet Baker - Conservatorio Cherubini Complete Concert (2-CD)

41isltneQPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

George Wallington - Complete Live At The Cafe Bohemia (2-CD) with Donald Byrd and Jackie McLean

513GY3C1REL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Bud Shank/Bob Cooper - European Tour '57