What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiny Bradshaw - Heavy Juice, King Recordings 1950-1955

Oh yes - what's this one, Jostber? What label? Picture? I really need to upgrade my Tiny Bradshaw stuff.

MG

Tiny was a real groover. Here is the record, a recent compilation of his King sides from Rev-Ola Bandstand records:

51lp-ZoSx8L._SS400_.jpg

Oh yes - what's this one, Jostber? What label? Picture? I really need to upgrade my Tiny Bradshaw stuff.

MG

Tiny was a real groover. Here is the record, a recent compilation of his King sides from Rev-Ola Bandstand records:

51lp-ZoSx8L._SS400_.jpg

I can't imagine it would be his complete 1950-55 if it's only one disc - but maybe it is. Does it say so?

MG

MG

51lp-ZoSx8L._SS400_.jpg

I can't imagine it would be his complete 1950-55 if it's only one disc - but maybe it is. Does it say so?

MG

It does not say Complete, so it might not be all from this period. There are 32 songs here though, so I believe all the hits from King are here.

The album description:

One bandleader who seems to go on and on is Tiny Bradshaw, who was resident at the Savoy in Harlem for many years after the mid thirties. Tiny still has a jumping big-little band of about twelve men who blow their brains out and bawl very risqué lyrics with immense gusto. He is a firm favourite and it's easy to understand why - his discs have all the ingredients for a successful race record of today - broad humour, powerful brass, a honking tenor and that rocking, rolling beat which hasn't changed much during the years except to get a bit more frantic." When the above appeared in the October 1952 issue of Jazz Journal magazine (a British publication from 1952 mentioning "rocking" and "rolling"!), the article’s subject, Tiny Bradshaw, had been a showbiz veteran for nearly thirty years and had been fronting his own band for almost two decades of those. Ironically, within months of that fateful issue hitting the streets, his musical career had all but ceased due to health problems that would persist until his death six years later. From his amazing sleazy jump blues megahits (a staple of modern day burlesque shows and 'swing dance' clubs)to his then flop but now Rock n Roll classic 'The Train Kept A Rollin' (recorded by everyone from The Johnny Burnette Rock nRoll Trio to The Yardbirds to Aerosmith to lord knows who!) this is classic stuff.

Jump jiving on a summer night....too hot for a zoot suit, but, hey, one can't have everything...

All the hits AND the timeless ‘Train Kept A Rollin'. All wonderfully remastered in true RevOla style and with beautiful pics and RARE as hell memorabilia... A must for all fans of ROCKING jump blues tunes...Swing dancing and Burlesque...so I guess that's everybody!!

Edited by jostber

The album description:

One bandleader who seems to go on and on is Tiny Bradshaw, who was resident at the Savoy in Harlem for many years after the mid thirties. Tiny still has a jumping big-little band of about twelve men who blow their brains out and bawl very risqué lyrics with immense gusto. He is a firm favourite and it's easy to understand why - his discs have all the ingredients for a successful race record of today - broad humour, powerful brass, a honking tenor and that rocking, rolling beat which hasn't changed much during the years except to get a bit more frantic." When the above appeared in the October 1952 issue of Jazz Journal magazine (a British publication from 1952 mentioning "rocking" and "rolling"!), the article’s subject, Tiny Bradshaw, had been a showbiz veteran for nearly thirty years and had been fronting his own band for almost two decades of those. Ironically, within months of that fateful issue hitting the streets, his musical career had all but ceased due to health problems that would persist until his death six years later. From his amazing sleazy jump blues megahits (a staple of modern day burlesque shows and 'swing dance' clubs)to his then flop but now Rock n Roll classic 'The Train Kept A Rollin' (recorded by everyone from The Johnny Burnette Rock nRoll Trio to The Yardbirds to Aerosmith to lord knows who!) this is classic stuff.

Jump jiving on a summer night....too hot for a zoot suit, but, hey, one can't have everything...

All the hits AND the timeless ‘Train Kept A Rollin'. All wonderfully remastered in true RevOla style and with beautiful pics and RARE as hell memorabilia... A must for all fans of ROCKING jump blues tunes...Swing dancing and Burlesque...so I guess that's everybody!!

What a strangely anachronistic sleeve note!

a successful race record of today
makes you think this was written in 1946! But

recorded by everyone from The Johnny Burnette Rock nRoll Trio to The Yardbirds to Aerosmith
couldn't have been.

I'll look at the track list. On LP & CD I have 32 tracks, one of which is from 1958 (so my LP can't be retired :() and two are duplicates. So maybe this is everything in that period.

MG

Found this duo hit on Amazon. Really great, especially for Zoot fans. Just Zoot and Bucky, and really nice- a lesson in playing w/good time, which is even more critical in the duo setting. "Implied time" is often more satisfying than "directly stated time" IMHO.

(there's no bassist even though there's one in the cover shot)

51BJAqUpOKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by Free For All

Found this duo hit on Amazon. Really great, especially for Zoot fans. Just Zoot and Bucky, and really nice- a lesson in playing w/good time, which is even more critical in the duo setting. "Implied time" is often more satisfying than "directly stated time" IMHO.

(there's no bassist even though there's one in the cover shot)

51BJAqUpOKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Discovered this one yesterday when Bernie Godberg played a track on Bebop Spoken Here on KBCS. Beautiful stuff!

Brian Lynch - Brian Lynch Meets Bill Charlap

414HG6KXW3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Lynch/Charlap is the only one I don't have. What's your take on it?

Brian Lynch Meets Bill Charlap

Brian Lynch - trumpet/flugelhorn

Bill Charlap - piano

Dwayne Burno - bass

Joe Farnsworth - drums

[60+ minutes]

I like both Brian Lynch and Bill Charlap so this was an easy buy for me. Having enjoyed what I heard of them seperately, I thought that this would be a good pairing and they did not dissappoint. This wasn't a first meeting of the pair as I discovered they had played together for over a decade in Phil Woods' group. Phil Woods has high praise for both Lynch and Charlap in his liner notes for the CD. "On this CD Brian Lynch is very much his own man." "There may be more famous players than my man but there are no better ones. Brian is at the top of his game and is playing and writing his ass off! Makes an old bebopper proud!" On Charlap, "Bill Charlap shows why he is the piano man of our time-he can do it all..."

Like Phil Woods, I like this CD a lot. It works for me as a whole and flows very well. I have 3 Brian Lynch CDs with an interest in checking out more but this CD had me asking myself why I don't own more Bill Charlap. I have two of his trio CDs (Written In The Stars and Live At The Vanguard) but kind of forgot about him. I'd like to hear more of him with a horn or two in the mix. (I'll have to check out those Woods CDs) Anyway, I'd recommend this CD. If you like one or both of the principal players, I think you'd enjoy it. It's a strong CD.

Edited by mikelz777

Loadsa CDs today!

51ZNNJ9DQNL._SS400_.jpg

Buddy Johnson - Gotta go upside your head. Mercury recordings from 1953-55. Big beat time!

6181AKZ1PTL._SS500_.jpg

Fela Kuti twofer - Beasts of no nation/Overtake, don't overtake overtake - originally issued on Kalakuta

51dtmWdB68L._SS500_.jpg

Another Fela Kuti twofer - Stalemate/Fear not for man - originally issued on Decca West Africa

And

Percy France - I should care - Endgame

Many thanks to Allen Lowe for this - it's superb and I can see why his version of "Willow weep for me" was reckoned the best by someone (Shawn?)

MG