What music did you buy today?

tonym

V.A. - Roy Milton's Miltone Records (Acrobat)

ADDCD3016.jpg

Hey, that one looks interesting! What period does it cover?

This should cover the period in the late 40's when the label was operative. I am not sure of the precise time frame(1946-1950?). This comes with 56 tracks, and a 36 page booklet.

The tracks are here:

http://www.play4me.com.au/product/roy_milt...56197_3974.html

I ordered it from Red Lick Records:

http://www.redlickrecords.co.uk/

Thanks Jostber.

I thought Red Lick, from whom I used to buy a lot of stuff, had closed down. But your link revealed that they've moved from Portmadog to just down the road from me!

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way too much lately... a bunch of stuff from 2001 (ojc/concord, blue note rvgs and impulse cds for 4,99) including this morning a bunch of john coltrane albums (already had a good deal of the prestige and atlantic albums but just a love supreme and the single cd village vanguard on impulse...) crecent, live at birdland and coltrane...

saturday on a rare trip to cologne's brick and mortar cd stores i got for another 40 euro (a good deal i guess but too large a sum)

Dodo Marmarosa - Chicago Sessions (his Argo trio album backed by a great quartet album with bill hardman i had never heard about)

Marc Ducret - Gris (Label Bleu)

Shamek Farrah/Sonelius Smith - The world of children (strata east)

Lee Konitz/Martial Solal - Star Eyes Hamburg 1983

Duke Jordan with Cecil Payne and Teddy Edwards (a twofer of Brooklyn Brother (Muse) minus one tune and "the inimitable teddy edwards" which is my favorite session so far on the six cds...)

Cecil Payne/Duke Jordan with Kenny Dorham & Johnny Coles (Fresh Sound)

and i haven't even started filling gaps in my blue note rvg collection...

Managed to pick up Rollin' with Leo (Parker) at Reckless Records. Looks like the previous owner listened/ripped it once and sold it, so it is essentially brand new. Plus I traded a few CDs in, so they actually owed me $0.30. (Trying very hard to balance my intake and outtake lately.)

Made a quick pass through Dusty Groove but only picked up a used copy of Cannonball's Phenix and Louis Hayes/Yusef Lateef/Nat Adderley on VeeJay.

(Looks like there are a couple of alternatives on the RVG of Let Me Tell You 'Bout It after all, so I guess I had better pick that up before the price jumps now that it is going OOP. It is a shame that his early work is so hard to come by or at least OOP now. Looks like another job for the European labels.)

I picked up a really unusual CD called Africa to Appalachia, which is banjo and cora, plus additional African musicians. It is pretty gimicky, and the first time through I wasn't that impressed, but I listened on headphones and it grabbed me considerably more the second time. Of course, I actually got it for my dad who is into banjo, but I wanted to test drive it.

In addition, I got a used copy of Leo Wright's Soul Talk. It's probably been mentioned already, but this is a Water release from 2005.