What music did you buy today?

tonym

Caravan: In The Land Of Grey And Pink

That was my first prog rock album, summer of '71! I liked it a lot, but their immediately previous album called If I Could Do It All Over Again I liked even more.

Thanks for the tip! I put on my list for my next Amoeba run.

I agree too!

Add 'Waterloo Lily' (which has a different but still excellent keyboard player) and you have the three great Caravan records.

Be prepared for whimsy, adolescent double-entendres, wonderful tunes, marvellous extended instrumental passages and some very inventive electric bass playing. You can listen to these records just following the bass.

After which you'll need the two Hatfield and the North albums and the first two National Health albums!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caravan: In The Land Of Grey And Pink

That was my first prog rock album, summer of '71! I liked it a lot, but their immediately previous album called If I Could Do It All Over Again I liked even more.

Thanks for the tip! I put on my list for my next Amoeba run.

I agree too!

Add 'Waterloo Lily' (which has a different but still excellent keyboard player) and you have the three great Caravan records.

Be prepared for whimsy, adolescent double-entendres, wonderful tunes, marvellous extended instrumental passages and some very inventive electric bass playing. You can listen to these records just following the bass.

After which you'll need the two Hatfield and the North albums and the first two National Health albums!

Thanks for the tips, looks like there's some English pro-rock in my future.

One of the nice things about it is that it takes itself less seriously than the better known Prog-rock of the time - there's a sort of Lewis Carroll/Edward Lear feel to it. Yet the instrumental playing is as skilled as anything in the genre. It's a very English approach - eggheadism on the one hand; and then embarrassment about appearing too clever that results in the silliness.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

One of the nice things about it is that it takes itself less seriously than the better known Prog-rock of the time - there's a sort of Lewis Carroll/Edward Lear feel to it. Yet the instrumental playing is as skilled as anything in the genre. It's a very English approach - eggheadism on the one hand; and then embarrassment about appearing too clever that results in the silliness.

I always think of the way the English use the term "amusing," not falling down funny but amusing in an enjoyable, fun, understated manner -- if that makes sense. John Banville has written about the use of amusing in some of his novels (yes, I know he's not English, but he's U.K.). So, it would be amusing music they make.

variousartists_africa50yearsofindependence_cm.jpg

had a gift card that was just right to get this one for free, yowzah!

also picked from the post-x-mas sales:

Enrico Rava - The Pilgrim and the Stars

Dave Brubeck - Three Classics Albums Plus / Third Set

William Parker Quartet - Petit Oiseau

and some used vinyl:

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Terra Brasilis

Weather Report - 8:30

Schildpatt

Gary McFarland - Point of Departure

Lambert Hendricks & Bavan - Havin' a Ball at the Village Gate

variousartists_africa50yearsofindependence_cm.jpg

had a gift card that was just right to get this one for free, yowzah!

also picked from the post-x-mas sales:

Enrico Rava - The Pilgrim and the Stars

Dave Brubeck - Three Classics Albums Plus / Third Set

William Parker Quartet - Petit Oiseau

and some used vinyl:

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Terra Brasilis

Weather Report - 8:30

Schildpatt

Gary McFarland - Point of Departure

Lambert Hendricks & Bavan - Havin' a Ball at the Village Gate

Forgot about Charles Tyler's "Saga of the Outlaws"... it was among the written-down stuff, had to buy it for a friend!

51sw2Q8bwFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Original Jam Sessions 1969

This has some fun and tasty funk/soul-jazz grooves from listening to the samples. Lots of recognizable names on this one. Quincy Jones as musical director, Monty Alexander, Joe Sample, Les McCann, Ray Brown, Milt Jackson, Jimmy Smith and Eddie Harris among others.

I always think of the way the English use the term "amusing," not falling down funny but amusing in an enjoyable, fun, understated manner -- if that makes sense. John Banville has written about the use of amusing in some of his novels (yes, I know he's not English, but he's U.K.). So, it would be amusing music they make.

Yes, that would work.

If you do decide to investigate the Hatfield/National Health records, make sure you go for the recent Esoteric remasters - much, much better than the earlier CD versions that are very flat and quite muddy.

And the Caravan's are available in remasters from Decca from about 4 years ago. Again, very good sounds with lots of extra stuff, some of it very good indeed.

I haven't given up on jazz but I've been listening to a lot of country lately and had to pick up:

51Dz46xejBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Don Rich Anthology

Don Rich was an excellent guitar player and fiddler who played a big role in developing the Bakersfield sound as part of Buck Owens' Buckaroos. Buck Owens himself said that Rich was as much part of his music as he (Owens) was. Good stuff.

I haven't given up on jazz but I've been listening to a lot of country lately and had to pick up:

The Don Rich Anthology

Don Rich was an excellent guitar player and fiddler who played a big role in developing the Bakersfield sound as part of Buck Owens' Buckaroos. Buck Owens himself said that Rich was as much part of his music as he (Owens) was. Good stuff.

I remember reading that Buck Owens fell apart emotionally and lost a lot of his interest in music when Don Rich died.

The Don Rich Anthology

I remember reading that Buck Owens fell apart emotionally and lost a lot of his interest in music when Don Rich died.

On Don Rich’s death from the booklet in “The Buck Owens Collection 1959-1990”.

“Buck was shattered. The alter-ego, the musical son who had blossomed under his wing, whom he depended on both in the studio and onstage, was suddenly gone. A huge void remained in Buck’s life and music and in his soul.

‘After Don’s death, I don’t think I ever quite recovered. I had such a long period of shock and such a long period of being depressed and confused and hurt that I couldn’t talk about Don much for at least four, five, or six years.’

‘Don was incredibly important as a human being. He was as much part of the music as I was. He seemed able to read my mind. And a lotta times I would try to fool him on the stage; we had our little thing goin’. He was uncanny about catchin’ me so he could sing with me. There was never anything like that happened to me before or since. That’s the way I’ll always remember him. I finally got at peace with that.’”

Rich was killed in a motorcycle accident and apparently, Buck had been trying to persuade him to stop riding a motorcycle for years and didn't want him to take his motorcycle out the very day of his death.

Half Price is getting a lot of RVG, K2 and Keepnews cutouts, so I picked up:

Kenny Drew Trio-Riverside K2

Thelonious Himself-Riverside Keepnews

Also at Half Price-Sonny Rollins/Don Cherry-Complete 1963 Copenhagen Concert

Also used around town:

Don Ellis-Tears of Joy-Wounded Bird for $2.50!

John Coltrane-Afro Blue Impressions-Pablo Live

Tal Farlow-Autumn in New York-Verve Japan

Moondog-More Story of Moondog-Prestige OJC

Stanley Turrentine: Look Out (Collector's Choice), A Bluish Bag (BN Conn)

Monk: Misterioso K2

Herbie: Mwandishi The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings

Trane: Expression

Steve Gadd and Friends: Live at Voce

Joshua Redman: Back East, Compass (rebought these two actually)

Art Blakey & the JM'S: Roots and Herbs, Witch Doctor

Edited by CJ Shearn

Some vinyl I ordered the other day:

African Music Machine - Black Water Gold

Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Happy People

Dorothy Ashby - Rubaiyat Of Dorothy Ashby

Some Document compilations:

V.A. - Rare Live Cuts - Cafe Society 1939 & Milwaukee 1943 (Meade Lux Lewis, Billie Holiday, Pete Johnson, Frankie Newton and more)

V.A. - The Boogie Woogie Boys - 1938 & 1941 (Meade Lux Lewis, Pete Johnson, Albert Ammons)

Will Ezell - 1927 - 1931