What music did you buy today?

tonym

Years ago, I was in Tower and they played one of those Curtis Fuller Savoy CDs which had a fantastic HONKING tenor solo from Benny Golson. I couldn't afford it just then, and then I forgot which Fuller album it was. Was it "Bluesette"?

Could be............but it sounds to me like you might actually be talking about Yusef Lateef on 'Judyful' from the Fuller Sextet "Images" Savoy one? Coincidentally, I saw the Curtis Fuller Quintet last weekend w/Ronnie Matthews and Lou Hayes. It was Fuller's B'day and Freddy Cole stopped by to sing a couple of numbers, which was a real treat! After the show Hayes had a cd or two rattling around in his bag so I bought 'Dreamin of Cannonball' off him (he was a bit miffed that he had to pack up his own kit). :g So that then, was my last CD purchase.

Thanks very much Son OAW. I'll keep that in mind.

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, visited djangos.com and ordered some OOP Steve Lacy and Helen Humes discs. Then darted off to Timeless and Storyville websites to order a couple of vintage jazz discs from each, then back to tower.com for some more OOP items including a Jelly Roll Morton RCA set.

Trying to quell my pre-New Year jitters, whatever that is. :w:crazy:

Patricia Barber - Nightclub (MFSL SACD)

Ella Fitzgerald sings the Harold Arlen Songbook (VME)

Dexter Gordon - American Classic

Clifford Jordan - Highest Mountain (2cds CANDID UK)

Jeremy Steig & Eddie Gomez - What's New at F

Heinz Von Hermann Trio - A Taste of T. & Hi Bix!

James Williams Sextet - Progress Report

Yesterday it was

B000025IEV.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

griffi_john_bushdance_101b.jpg

(Bit of an unfortunate title that, nowadays...)

Today it's been

B000024TQ7.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005BC8H.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I haven't liked much Ullmer after his albums with Big John Patton. I don't particularly llike Bill Laswell either. But this is a seriously funky and fabulous album!!! First time I've heard Amina Claudia Myers. Very good I think, unless it's Bernie Worrell playing the organ :)

MG

Spendin' my XMas & Birthday cash gifts:

All by Frank Zappa:

Burnt Weeny Sandwich

The Grand Wazoo

Zappa In New York

Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III

Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar

Baby Snakes

Guitar

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 1, 4, 5, & 6

Today was the first day of the Winter Sales.

Went to the Virgin Megastore and one of the FNAC store for quick visits.

Among the items I picked at Virgin (prices started higher than at previous sales but were still very reasonables) were Steve Lacy with Charles Tyler on Silkheart, some Sun Ras, a couple of Vandermark 5,

then at FNAC (they still maintain the €3 mark) Ran Blake 'Unmarked Van' (Soul Note), Max Bennett on Japanese Bethlehem, Mary Lou Williams' 'Zodiac Suite'.

Today was the first day of the Winter Sales.

Went to the Virgin Megastore and one of the FNAC store for quick visits.

Among the items I picked at Virgin (prices started higher than at previous sales but were still very reasonables) were Steve Lacy with Charles Tyler on Silkheart, some Sun Ras, a couple of Vandermark 5,

then at FNAC (they still maintain the €3 mark) Ran Blake 'Unmarked Van' (Soul Note), Max Bennett on Japanese Bethlehem, Mary Lou Williams' 'Zodiac Suite'.

A small but nice haul. I hope they'll still have a few things left when I get to Paris on Saturday. Incidentally, brownie, I'm only familiar with the FNACs around Champs Elysees, Bastille, and St. Lazare. Are there any others worth visiting, you think? Also, and I know this is silly, I've never been to the Virgin at Louvre, how does its coverage compare to the Champs-Elysees branch. And finally, since you've been to the stores, were there also a fair bit of classical discs on sale? Thanks!

I hope they'll still have a few things left when I get to Paris on Saturday. Incidentally, brownie, I'm only familiar with the FNACs around Champs Elysees, Bastille, and St. Lazare. Are there any others worth visiting, you think? Also, and I know this is silly, I've never been to the Virgin at Louvre, how does its coverage compare to the Champs-Elysees branch. And finally, since you've been to the stores, were there also a fair bit of classical discs on sale? Thanks!

Gokhan, from what I have seen the two best jazz sections at FNAC stores are the one on the Rue de Rennes (FNAC Montparnasse) and the one on the Avenue des Ternes (FNAC Ternes). Both have a wide selection and competent and friendly staff which is not usually the case at other FNACS!

Did my sales shopping today at FNAC Montparnasse. Did not check the classical section which is in a different part of the store. There was a crowd today!

But at the Virgin Megastore on the Champs-Elysees, the classics sales items were right next to the jazz ones. Got a Clara Haskill recital I had been looking for there!

As for the Virgin Louvre, the jazz section is OK but nothing exceptional but the classics section is really good!

They probably have sales there. I'm avoiding a visit there right now. Spent enough for the day!

It was one of those rare days today when some want list titles finally showed up at reasonable prices.

Been searching for these three for a long time but haven't been willing to pay the high import or Amazon "collector" prices. Ended up finding them sealed today.

Both Japanese CD Reissues:

44794bec-62d6-49da-aa12-121958f5c06d.jpg9ffe3e89-0e40-438c-b5ed-8c5646e52a74.jpg

Verve Elite (The Swinger / Mr. Swing twofer)

6ff3bbe0-23df-4625-b2bb-a8fb7b183df6.jpg

Not familiar with these:

The Three Sounds - Babe's Blues

The Three Sounds - Black Orchid

Randy Weston - Monterey '66

And took some fliers on cheap Fresh Sounds material:

Bill Perkins - Perk Plays Pres

George Arvanitas - The Ballad Artistry of David Murray

The Birdlanders featuring J.J. Johnson & Al Cohn

All for under a C-note...woohoo. Of course, this just means that the bins will be completely dry in Atlanta next week. ;)

Was in a mood for Italian jazz .

Bought on Jazzos site (http://www.jazzos.com/) :

Tononi Tiziano - We did it, we did it! (3CD) (Splasc(h) World H811)

3-CD tribute to Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Was looking for this one for long time.

Trovesi Gianluigi, Coscia Gianni - Radici (Egea SCA050)

Already have In Cerca di Cibo from the same 2 players : haunting clarinet and accordion

Rava Enrico - Rava Plays Rava (Philology W155)

Rava plays his own compositions with pianist S. Bollani. Rava is a wonderful trumpet player

Emmanuele Giuseppe - A waltz for Debby (Splasc(h) H200)

Mainly for trumpet player Paolo Fresu