What music did you buy today?

tonym

B0007ODLBO.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A superb bargain! A 2 CD set with "Alive & Cool" from Fillmore West 1969 and "Molten Ice" from the Mocambo Club Toronto 1973. Almost two hours of frenzied Ice-pickin'! for GBP6.99 - incredible! A quid cheaper than Amazon! Shows the potential power of the independent retailer who knows the market.

And the music? Even more incredible than the price.

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to get a copy of the VHS 'Bud Powell/Erroll Garner' from the 'Averty Jazz' series that was released in 1992 by the government-owned INA (Institut National de l'Audiovisuel) and the FNAC stores. The series came and went fast and the copies have long been unavailable.

The videos were the equivalent of the CD series that came out around the same time on the Esoldun label and contained ORTF (the national radio) broadcasts of Paris concerts by Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, Roland Kirk and others.

The series disappeared after heirs of musicians (T.S. Monk was very prominent in the case) started a lawsuit and won their case.

The video series included some of the best live jazz shows that were broadcast on French TV. Most of the shows were directed by Jean-Christophe Averty.

The Bud Powell section of the VHS include the October 1959 'Jazz au Club St-Germain' show (with Clark Terry, Barney Wilen, Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke) and the December 1959 'Modern Jazz at the Blue Note' show (with Michelot and Klook shining on 'Get Happy' and 'John's Abbey' plus Lucky Thompson and Jimmy Gourley added for an amazing 'Anthropology').

The Club St-Germain date was spread on various CD releases on Mythic Sound and on Pablo. They appear on the video as they were broadcast at the time.

The two trio sides of the Blue Note date appeared on Mythic Sound too and also on the Xanadu LP 'Bud In Paris'.

Mythic Sound included the opening portion of 'Anthropology'. The 5-minute video brings back Bud Powell, Jimmy Gourley and Lucky Thompson solos. The track (and obviously the TV broadcast) ends abruptly as Lucky Thompson and Klook trade fours!

The VHS also includes a Errol Garner concert in Paris in 1972. I'm sure Martha Glaser must have loved going to court to eliminate this release!

Edited by brownie

I ordered these this morning:

Zappa:

1 Weasels Ripped My Flesh

1 Chunga's Revenge

1 One Size Fits All

1 Tinsel Town Rebellion

1 You Can't Do That On Stage Any More, V.2

Hot Tuna:

1 Phosphorescent Rat

1 Bo Diddly Chess Box

Howard Roberts:

1 Something's Cookin'/Goodies

1 Color Him Funky/H.R. Is A Dirty Guitar Player

1 Good Pickin's

the new Jimmy Raney Verve

Steve Lacy: Actuality

Keith Jarrett: My Song

Keith Jarrett: The Impulse Years 1973-1974

Gianluigi Trovesi: Fugace

Tony Williams: Ego

Tony Williams: Turn It Over

and coming soon from jazzos.com:

Waldron: Our Colline's a Tresure.

Waldron: Update

Cyrille: X-man

Cyrille: Navigator

Cyrille: Good to go

Trovesi: From G to G

Trovesi: Around Small Fairy Tales

Bley,Peacock: Mindset

Ran Blake: Short life of Barbara Monk

These should keep me busy for a while :P

Edited by Swinger

B00005J4CO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

MG

I just got this recently, also (though not the Japanese edition). VERY nice. :tup:w

I didn't get the Japanese version, I got a German manufactured version of the OJC - that sleeve was what I got when I looked for the image on the web.

It's a really nice album, though. I think, on first hearing it, that I'll turn out to like it even more than the other trio material he was doing at the same time. Can't imagine why Koenig didn't issue the album; there were plenty of empty periods in Hawes' recording career.

MG